What qualifies as garbage time?

Hukos

What about Garbage time for the winning QB. Plenty of times, Tom and Patriots are in a 4th quarter of a game that is a blowout. I think most teams down a certain point get into "give up" mode. This type of Garbage time stats could decide a MVP season because one candidate was playing in 4th quarter of Blowouts and the other wasn't.

18 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Would say down by 4-5 scores going into the 4th quarter or 3 scores with 4-5 minutes left.

Well there you have it, folks. The scenario we all see play out on a weekly basis: Garbage time, when your team is winning by 40 points going into the 4th quarter.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

Well there you have it, folks. The scenario we all see play out on a weekly basis: Garbage time, when your team is winning by 40 points going into the 4th quarter.

That's when you send Kamara deep on fourth down.

56 minutes ago, Classic said:

What about Garbage time for the winning QB. Plenty of times, Tom and Patriots are in a 4th quarter of a game that is a blowout. I think most teams down a certain point get into "give up" mode. This type of Garbage time stats could decide a MVP season because one candidate was playing in 4th quarter of Blowouts and the other wasn't.

I mean there's always the hypothetical that your defense is terrible and you need to keep pouring it on to make sure a comeback doesn't happen. This was relevant in Matt Ryan's 2016 MVP campaign because the Falcons defense was atrocious that season (27th in ppg) and had blown several leads that season, or caused some games where the Falcons were up big to suddenly get very close before the offense finished them off with one last drive. Basically, Matt had to keep pouring it on because turning around, handing it off and trusting the defense to hold was legitimately not an option in a lot of games. The Falcons were 1-5 (1-6 if you count the Super Bowl) when the offense scored 30 points or less that year - all of their wins required 31 or more.

I'm sure there are more cases like this out there.

Garbage time to me only happens when a team is losing and doesn't play to win, but instead takes the easy stuff the D is allowing. 

IE a 6 min drive of underneath throws when you're down 3+ scores with 7 mins left is garbage time stats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic said:

It's very interesting that in the NFL you don't have as much benching of the QBs when the game is in hand so to speak.

In the NBA you can have starters sitting out the entire 4th quarter if the lead is maintained. The NHL given its format rarely has a large enough lead to warrant prolonged sitting when the lines are managed anyway but you do see the 1st line get added rest in 3-4 goal lead situations. MLB allows for pitchers but again given its format there not really the same ability.

However the NFL being as rigorous as it is with injury risk I am very surprised at least offensive stars at receiver, running back and QB don't get added rest in blowouts, especially the RB. I mean, you have the star RB running out the clock but the guy is still taking a pounding. Yeah you don't want fumbles but up 3 scores late? I think with the QB you have the rhythm issues. Say you're up by 28 with 10 min to go and you bench the QB. Then it's 5 min left and you're only up 14, if you put him back in it might be too late to get that 1 or 2 first downs to seal it and you might stop the clock with incomplete passes.

1 hour ago, Classic said:

Which is why I contend that Peyton Mannings 2004 QB season was superior to Tom Brady’s 2007 QB season and Mannings 2013 season. Both the latter seasons were try hard seasons where each wanted the record from the other, whereas had 04 Manning been in try hard mode it wouldn’t shock me if he would have gotten 60 TDs. Dude had complete control of the offense and could’ve easily audibled to goal line pass plays. But as humans we only ever look to jump the marker we see, not the invisible one beyond it.

14 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Which is why I contend that Peyton Mannings 2004 QB season was superior to Tom Brady’s 2007 QB season and Mannings 2013 season. Both the latter seasons were try hard seasons where each wanted the record from the other, whereas had 04 Manning been in try hard mode it wouldn’t shock me if he would have gotten 60 TDs. Dude had complete control of the offense and could’ve easily audibled to goal line pass plays. But as humans we only ever look to jump the marker we see, not the invisible one beyond it.

I would agree and that particular when Brady threw 50 TDs they were running up the score throw Qb TDS as time was expiring in 50 to 0 blow outs.

21 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

A lot of Dak stats came in garbage time. That’s a good barometer. Down by 21 with 15 mins to go. It even down 14 with 5-6 to play. It all depends. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/search/?&q=dak&page=1&author=ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

Rammy has averaged about ~8 Dak insults a month this past year. Or one every ~4 days. That sort of compulsive obsession can only be a symptom of Napoleon Complex. 

Edited by Matts4313