The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I've been watching a lot of Jordan Love highlights, he looks like someone who can make every throw at all levels. I would have no problem with us drafting him in the second.

He is going to go in the 1st, probably top 15.

27 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is going to go in the 1st, probably top 15.

I watched Love play some this past CF season and...I don't know...but I didn't come away that impressed.

Then you look at his season from a statistical standpoint and it's pretty blah... I wouldn't touch him in the top-15 let alone the 1st round but that's just me.

2nd-3rd round...ok maybe.

Edited by topwop1

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I watched Love play some this past CF season and...I don't know...but I didn't come away that impressed.

Then you look at his season from a statistical standpoint and it's pretty blah... I wouldn't touch him in the top-15 let alone the 1st round but that's just me.

2nd-3rd round...ok maybe.

He is a physically talented QB who 2 years ago had a really good year.

Someone is taking him early.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not either and would like to add some speed.

If they spend a 2nd round pick on a dynamic WR I do not have an issue with that as it adds to the offense. The Bears generate almost no YAC yards and that has to change in a West Coast system.

We need a guy who is a legit threat to take a 10 yard cross or slant 60 yards and who is enough of a threat deep to loosen the middle for ARob and Miller to turn 10 into 20 more frequently. Gabriel is supposed to have that speed but hasn’t shown the ability to make these plays for us, and he doesn’t have enough size to compete down the field on a 50/50 ball. His speed at even average WR size would be a game changer for us even if our QB continues to struggle down the field. Mitch overshoots everyone down the field but at least as far as Gabriel is concerned if he undershoots him downfield it’s probably a pick since he’s not winning any jump balls at 5’7”. Patterson has the size/speed but not the WR ability. It’s almost as though what we need is what Kevin White was supposed to be... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We need a guy who is a legit threat to take a 10 yard cross or slant 60 yards and who is enough of a threat deep to loosen the middle for ARob and Miller to turn 10 into 20 more frequently. Gabriel is supposed to have that speed but hasn’t shown the ability to make these plays for us, and he doesn’t have enough size to compete down the field on a 50/50 ball. His speed at even average WR size would be a game changer for us even if our QB continues to struggle down the field. Mitch overshoots everyone down the field but at least as far as Gabriel is concerned if he undershoots him downfield it’s probably a pick since he’s not winning any jump balls at 5’7”. Patterson has the size/speed but not the WR ability. It’s almost as though what we need is what Kevin White was supposed to be... 🤦‍♂️

We need to add some speed no matter what.

If we are committed to trying to make it work with Mitch, I think you need someone bigger, that can run.

If you are not, then I think you can just find someone who is not 5'7"

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

These are the positions that the Bears could draft in the 2nd round

OT

OG

TE

WR

QB

OLB

* I am not putting CB because I think Tolliver is worth an actual look with a veteran backing him up.

I agree with this list though if the right CB fell I think they’d look there too. OLB is really intriguing to me. They are at least postured that they’ll keep Floyd at that option number and I just think it’s such a terrible move when our biggest defensive need is at his position in the form of the one thing he hasn’t shown any real ability to provide.

If Floyd is cut you can in all likelihood keep Trevathan, sign a vet situational edge rusher and a reclamation project edge rusher, and then draft a guy in the 2nd to be a longer term replacement for about the same 2020 cap hit and be far better off overall for 2020. If you are able to do that AND add mid round draft capital by trading Floyd vs. cutting him then that’s even better. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree with this list though if the right CB fell I think they’d look there too. OLB is really intriguing to me. They are at least postured that they’ll keep Floyd at that option number and I just think it’s such a terrible move when our biggest defensive need is at his position in the form of the one thing he hasn’t shown any real ability to provide.

If Floyd is cut you can in all likelihood keep Trevathan, sign a vet situational edge rusher and a reclamation project edge rusher, and then draft a guy in the 2nd to be a longer term replacement for about the same 2020 cap hit and be far better off overall for 2020. If you are able to do that AND add mid round draft capital by trading Floyd vs. cutting him then that’s even better. 

I think they need a pass rusher.

If they keep Floyd that pass rusher needs to be cheap and talented, and that sounds like a high draft pick to me.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they need a pass rusher.

If they keep Floyd that pass rusher needs to be cheap and talented, and that sounds like a high draft pick to me.

I agree. We’re really presented with two conflicting Pace trends though as it pertains to edge rusher. Moving on from Floyd would be “giving up” on one of his draft picks, and he’s super loyal to those guys. But, keeping him and not being able to add a FA of substance at the position financially because of it pigeon holes him going into the draft, and he’s always shown the overriding desire to not be. 

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree. We’re really presented with two conflicting Pace trends though as it pertains to edge rusher. Moving on from Floyd would be “giving up” on one of his draft picks, and he’s super loyal to those guys. But, keeping him and not being able to add a FA of substance at the position financially because of it pigeon holes him going into the draft, and he’s always shown the overriding desire to not be. 

Long term is would be best to have a good player on a rookie deal next to Mack and his massive contract.

Floyd is a quagmire.

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Long term is would be best to have a good player on a rookie deal next to Mack and his massive contract.

Floyd is a quagmire.

That’s the route I’d go. I’d move Floyd for whatever I could get, sign a vet situational rusher and a depth upgrade/upside guy over Irving, then draft what I hope is the 2021 and beyond long term replacement.

Floyd is a solid player in our scheme but only solid, which makes him expendable given his role. I think he’s be an outstanding fit as a 4-3 WLB somewhere with his skill set in that Briggs role. 

I wouldn’t totally rule out the possibility of a player-for-player trade involving Floyd either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s the route I’d go. I’d move Floyd for whatever I could get, sign a vet situational rusher and a depth upgrade/upside guy over Irving, then draft what I hope is the 2021 and beyond long term replacement.

Floyd is a solid player in our scheme but only solid, which makes him expendable given his role. I think he’s be an outstanding fit as a 4-3 WLB somewhere with his skill set in that Briggs role. 

I wouldn’t totally rule out the possibility of a player-for-player trade involving Floyd either. 

I'm just not sure that you replace Floyd's play for less $ unless it's a draft pick or a cheap injured vet that turns it around

He's disappointing as a pash rusher but good at everything else.

6 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I'm just not sure that you replace Floyd's play for less $ unless it's a draft pick or a cheap injured vet that turns it around

He's disappointing as a pash rusher but good at everything else.

Thing is Floyd was never really a great pass rusher in college so why people are suddenly expecting him to be some great NFL pass rusher is unreasonable.

He is what he is.  A high utility player than you can line up and plug in at multiple spots on defense.  He's like an Anthony Barr for the Vikings.  

I think people underestimate his importance on this D.

• Like 1