The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

I am shocked at how low he has Brycen Hopkins.

I haven’t watched any college players yet except Burrows live.  He’s good.  We should have just tanked this year after first two games. 

Article is behind a pay wall.  Can you reproduce his list? Dane is a pretty good scout.  

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Trautman

Kmet

Harrison Bryant

Hunter Bryant

Albert O

9. Brycen Hopkins

Thanks for sharing.

Also pretty surprised Hopkins is ranked that low. The one concern I am hearing about him is that he's not a natural pass catcher and drops way too many balls.  Can anyone confirm that?

From my basic research into it, I have read from several different draft analysts that Kmet is one of the top TE prospects this year.  He could very well be the Bears target since he grew up  just outside Chicago and went to college at nearby Notre Dame where they would have had numerous opportunities to get a good look at him.

Kmet also has NFL pedigree with his Dad and uncle having played in the league.

Edited by topwop1

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Thanks for sharing.

Also pretty surprised Hopkins is ranked that low. The one concern I am hearing about him is that he's not a natural pass catcher and drops way too many balls.  Can anyone confirm that?

From my basic research into it, I have read from several different draft analysts that Kmet is one of the top TE prospects this year.  He could very well be the Bears target since he grew up  just outside Chicago and went to college at nearby Notre Dame where they would have had numerous opportunities to get a good look at him.

Kmet also has NFL pedigree with his Dad and uncle having played in the league.

I need to see Kmet test.

He needs to show some athletic upside, I worry that he is going to be slower than needed.

Hopkins had a large drop rate his sophomore year and began improving on the drops his junior and senior year. He has to get stronger and work on his blocking, but Hopkins is probably more athletic than most of this years tight ends, and can cause mismatches to linebackers and safeties.  He also has a NFL pedigree with his dad playing LT for the Oilers/Titans (Brad Hopkins).  You'll see a push on him after the combine, and vault over some guys

• Like 1

I like Hopkins more than Kmet after some preliminary looks but I think by draft day we’re already going to have another established receiving option at the position on the roster one way or another which may take either in round 2 much more off the table. We need to add 2 guys at the position IMO but if we go FA for one who contributes right away I’d expect the 2nd one is a mid-late round addition.

I can see some of the guys out there who probably don’t blow the testing away like Thaddeus Moss who are solid receiving options but not seam stretchers sliding down a bit more than some think right now after those who excelled at the Senior Bowl (Trautman) and those I expect to crush the combine (Bryant) shift up. Moss is a big draft target for me and he’s much more an in-line TE option than the other guys as a guy who is both willing and already able to be an effective blocker. 

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I like Hopkins more than Kmet after some preliminary looks but I think by draft day we’re already going to have another established receiving option at the position on the roster one way or another which may take either in round 2 much more off the table. We need to add 2 guys at the position IMO but if we go FA for one who contributes right away I’d expect the 2nd one is a mid-late round addition.

I can see some of the guys out there who probably don’t blow the testing away like Thaddeus Moss who are solid receiving options but not seam stretchers sliding down a bit more than some think right now after those who excelled at the Senior Bowl (Trautman) and those I expect to crush the combine (Bryant) shift up. Moss is a big draft target for me and he’s much more an in-line TE option than the other guys as a guy who is both willing and already able to be an effective blocker. 

I like Moss a lot too.  He is a guy that is flying under the radar but also was one of Heisman trophy winner Joe Burrow's most trusted targets this past CFB season.  Just remember this dude's Dad killed us for years.  Would love to have him on the Bears..

Just now, topwop1 said:

I like Moss a lot too.  He is a guy that is flying under the radar but also was one of Heisman trophy winner Joe Burrow's most trusted targets this past CFB season.  Just remember this dude's Dad killed us for years.  Would love to have him on the Bears..

I love Moss. The dude is the best blocker in the class and flat out man handles guys in the SEC.

I worry that his athletic ability is going to take him out of contention for us unless he falls to the 4th. If he is not a threat in the passing game, vertically, then I do not think he will be high enough on our list.

29 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I love Moss. The dude is the best blocker in the class and flat out man handles guys in the SEC.

I worry that his athletic ability is going to take him out of contention for us unless he falls to the 4th. If he is not a threat in the passing game, vertically, then I do not think he will be high enough on our list.

That’s where I like him. I think he’s gonna be a 4.75ish 40 guy. I’d love to pair him as our Y with Burton (for 2020) and another FA TE with the flex out skill set who can stretch the seam. Moss is legit in the red zone too. I really think he could end up being what they were envisioning Shaheen would be in the Nagy offense. A TE who’s an asset in the short-mid passing game and who’s a legit blocker IMO is gonna be higher on Nagy’s list than many of us think given its potential impact on our lackluster run game. 

Plus (side bonus) I’ve wanted to see Moss in navy 84 for about 20 years... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

That’s where I like him. I think he’s gonna be a 4.75ish 40 guy. I’d love to pair him as our Y with Burton (for 2020) and another FA TE with the flex out skill set who can stretch the seam. Moss is legit in the red zone too. I really think he could end up being what they were envisioning Shaheen would be in the Nagy offense. A TE who’s an asset in the short-mid passing game and who’s a legit blocker IMO is gonna be higher on Nagy’s list than many of us think given its potential impact on our lackluster run game. 

Plus (side bonus) I’ve wanted to see Moss in navy 84 for about 20 years... 

The tough part is he is not going to be worth 50 and will be long gone by 144.

A trade down to 64-70 and drafting Moss would have my high kicking.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The tough part is he is not going to be worth 50 and will be long gone by 144.

A trade down to 64-70 and drafting Moss would have my high kicking.

Moss’ draft stock is maybe the most volatile amongst the TEs for me. I could see him going as high as late round 2 on potential, diversity in skill set and bloodlines but could also see him going as low as round 5-6 based on his receiving skill set not matching well with the Kittle/Ertz/Kelce mold everyone wants right now. 

I’m big on a trade down from one of our 2nd rounders to recoup some more draft capital in the top half if possible and if adding Moss is the result then I’ll be pumped as well.

I’ll leave the high kicking to you though. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Moss’ draft stock is maybe the most volatile amongst the TEs for me. I could see him going as high as late round 2 on potential, diversity in skill set and bloodlines but could also see him going as low as round 5-6 based on his receiving skill set not matching well with the Kittle/Ertz/Kelce mold everyone wants right now. 

I’m big on a trade down from one of our 2nd rounders to recoup some more draft capital in the top half if possible and if adding Moss is the result then I’ll be pumped as well.

I’ll leave the high kicking to you though. 

Moss plus a late 3rd would have me excited. His blocking at a minimum would be an incredible upgrade to the run game.

Shaheen was a run game sabatour.