The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Can't we get the same kind of use out of Cohen that we would out of a guy like Hamler?

If I'm spending a 2nd on a WR, I want a guy who is as close to the full package. A guy with decent size, good speed and route running ability and who is also a willing blocker.

Yet Desean Jackson did exactly what Hamler does and if Hamler were to have a similar career to Jackson, we'd be elated.

Cohen isn't nearly as fast as Hamler and he isn't even close to as good of a route runner.

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

No.  There is YouTube.  Type guys name and then VS.  A lot of time some helpful soul will have even highlighted him for you so he is easy to find on each play.

So 'Joe Blow vs.' and then you find 3 or 4 games of his usually.  

Or you can rely on 'scouts'.  Their talent and opinions vary wildly.   Just like here.  LOL. 

I getcha' but when I say game action I mean anywhere it can be seen not only on the date it was originally played.

Unless you're a self-proclaimed draftnik (and I'm not) taking the time to do that coupled with everything else I'm tracking day in and day out wouldn't allow me to view many games so I have to use other tools.  It's also why I don't get into mock drafting or have much faith in it's accuracy as far as our own picks are concerned.

I just sit back and let Pace and his staff do their thing and review the results afterward.  I can't think of many picks he's made that seemed completely irrational to me.  Even a few of the question marks like Javon Wims have proven to have been good picks where they were made.  Others I may excuse simply because no one bats 1.000.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Yet Desean Jackson did exactly what Hamler does and if Hamler were to have a similar career to Jackson, we'd be elated.

Cohen isn't nearly as fast as Hamler and he isn't even close to as good of a route runner.

No doubt, but for every DeSean Jackson there are way more Tavon Austins.  Not saying I wouldn't like Hamler in a Bears uni but I just think he's a classic boom or bust type of player and considering the Bears needs they need to really hit on their 2nd round picks this year.

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

To me combine is just to see if guys meet minimum athletic and size/weight/height qualifications. 

I could care less about the position drills.  Virtually meaningless.  

Highlight tapes are virtually meaningless too.   You have to watch the VS. games and watch them against different teams to get a feel for a player.

Like a highlight for a TE or WR is all catches.  Nice to watch for a minute as you can see what they can do at their best.  But I want to see them block.  I want to see their effort and hustle.  I want to see if they are getting open and not getting targeted on non highlight plays

While I agree with this in principle, I think you undervalue highlight tape...

Splash plays are what makes great players... and when I hear about a player the very first thing I look for on them is "highlights".... If they can't overwhelm you at their very best, odds are good they're just a terrible, overvalued, or overhyped player.

It's by no means the only thing to be used (and digging deep into the "VS tape" is critical) but I've found highlight to be a damn good way of immediately filtering out players to avoid. Trubisky for example, really underwhelmed me in his highlight reels coming out, and it was a large part of the reason I never really bought in for him as a prospect.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

The more I am watching these edge guys the more I love Alton Robinson out of Syracuse...his 2019 tape isn't great but going back and watching his 2018 play he is very explosive while being more than a pure speed rusher given his size and strength...I think he could easily stand up and be more of a pass rushing threat than Floyd...a rotation of Mack, Floyd & Robinson would cover a lot of basis and if we could get him with that second 2nd round pick or better still trade down a little to pick up additional draft capital it would cover all basis.

• Like 1

FWIW, looking at the current draft boards and doing the mock draft simulators...

I see almost no way we aren't trading down on at least one of the 2nd rounders, and /or possibly back up with that 4th round comp pick.  The talent pool comepletely dries up by the end of the third for a number of prospects/positions we need.

OT, OG, TE,  EDGE, QB2, and even the WR pool is basically entirely gone at the end of the third. And a significant number of the prospects I personally really liked that could have been later round targets have all risen to be off the board by 4. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

FWIW, looking at the current draft boards and doing the mock draft simulators...

I see almost no way we aren't trading down on at least one of the 2nd rounders, and /or possibly back up with that 4th round comp pick.  The talent pool comepletely dries up by the end of the third for a number of prospects/positions we need.

OT, OG, TE,  EDGE, QB2, and even the WR pool is basically entirely gone at the end of the third. And a significant number of the prospects I personally really liked that could have been later round targets have all risen to be off the board by 4. 

I think before we make these declarations we need to first let FA play out and then see how the first round plays out (guys who fall, etc). Saying this stuff on 3/6/20 is pointless.

• Like 2

A couple of takes watching videos last night.

I don’t know if Jalen Hurts can play in NFL, I haven’t really watched him, but listening to him speak and listening to others speak about him and how people and teammates react to him he definitely has an ‘it’ factor few people have.  People will follow this guy and play hard for him and with him. 

Fromm isn’t as bad as people say.  He isn’t athletic and doesn’t have a big arm, but he isn’t a bad QB.  He can read defenses in real time. Most people can’t do that.  If he had MTs athletic talent he would be a pro bowler.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Epyon said:

There are always dudes you don’t know about. Trick is finding them. Pace has been better at that then most. 

He struggles in first round. why he gives away his first rounders now. Smart. 

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A couple of takes watching videos last night.

I don’t know if Jalen Hurts can play in NFL, I haven’t really watched him, but listening to him speak and listening to others speak about him and how people and teammates react to him he definitely has an ‘it’ factor few people have.  People will follow this guy and play hard for him and with him. 

Fromm isn’t as bad as people say.  He isn’t athletic and doesn’t have a big arm, but he isn’t a bad QB.  He can read defenses in real time. Most people can’t do that.  If he had MTs athletic talent he would be a pro bowler.  

Agree on Hurts. I don't really have a comparison for him because he's not all that good and tucks it to run almost immediately (so maybe Trubisky '18?) but his teammates seem to love him. Maybe a Tebow type except doesn't completely suck.

Fromm isn't bad at all. His arm is just bad. He's like a Matt Barkley to me.

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Fromm isn't bad at all. His arm is just bad. He's like a Matt Barkley to me.

I had the same thought and am of the opinion if he's there in round 4 we move up and get him.

Hurts passing isn’t as bad as people make it out to be.

He left a run heavy team and jumped into a complex spread attack in 1 season while refining as a passer. To me that shows really impressive growth and development in 1 year. He needs legit time to keep the progress this year moving, but I am intrigued to see what he does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Hurts passing isn’t as bad as people make it out to be.

He left a run heavy team and jumped into a complex spread attack in 1 season while refining as a passer. To me that shows really impressive growth and development in 1 year. He needs legit time to keep the progress this year moving, but I am intrigued to see what he does.

He holds the ball longer than every other QB in this draft. Guy is gonna be a sack machine in the NFL.