The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Sometimes ya' gotta look past the pure physical metric and look at production.  Floyd ticked all of physical check marks as far as length but was never a top pass rusher in college and hasn't been as a pro either.  And I thought "length" was more Fangio thing anyway.

As I've posted before most pro scouts and personnel guys agree that college production as an edge rusher trumps physical make up and in that respect Baun has shown he's the real thing while going up against some of the better OLs in the country.

What's to like is also the fact that he's not only a pure edge rusher but also a kid with similar versatility to Floyd.  But before we make a draft day decision some kind of decision will have to made about Floyd so I guess we'll just wait that one out.

Because 'length' is meaningless without power and Floyd never had power.  Not at Georgia and not now.   

Mack is good because his 'length' is in his long arms and those arms are very strong.  Plus he one arms it and turns his body so he can further increase the length between you and him.  So he can be touching you and you not touching him.  You are helpless - like holding a turtle by the shell.   Or a bully holding a kid by forehead while he swings wildly at air.  

Floyd can't do that because if he one arms someone he isn't strong enough to keep that arm locked.  So his long arm means nothing if it simply bends backs to short.

The thought is that some guys are so fast that they come at you at speed you are on your heels and then they 'convert speed to power'.  So they don't need to be as strong because it is about balance and set up.  They were hoping that would be Floyd's move.   Or he would develop it.   

But Floyd has never been able to  pull this off.  Probably because he lacks a minimum threshold of weight/power necessary to do it.  And/or he lacks the timing and skill of it.   His main hope is just to juke guys.  Just like at Georgia.  

The only viable way use Floyd is to not think of him individually.  Every time he rushes it should be in conjunction with a DL.  It should be a stunt or a threat of a stunt.  That is how Georgia used him (when he rushed) and that is what worked for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The only viable way use Floyd is to not think of him individually.  Every time he rushes it should be in conjunction with a DL.  It should be a stunt or a threat of a stunt.  That is how Georgia used him (when he rushed) and that is what worked for him.

I've said that before as well.  Many of his best rushes have come that way not by bending the edge as Pace and Fox seemed so thrilled about.  Even bulking Floyd up in 2018 didn't help so they simply allowed to go back to his previous weight of around 235-240lbs.

If you read about Baum's strengths you find he has that same talent at bending the edge but at 6'2" he's nearly scraping the ground and tougher for 6'5"-6'6" OTs to control and I'd bet my collection of vintage guitar picks he's got more leg drive and strength than Floyd.

I'm still hoping we can keep Floyd but add a 3rd down type pass rusher to the mix somewhat like Kwit has been a super sub ILB for 4 years but also an OLB with enough versatility to replace Floyd as well.  Best of both worlds kinda thing.  Just a hunch I have on Baun.

• Like 1

Starting to look at prospects.  If you are going BPA then it is hard not to take a WR in 2nd as that is where value seems to be.  I hate to draft WRs every year though with a lot of holes to fill.

I like Mims at WR.   I think some of you had him going in 3rd to us after a trade down, I don’t think he lasts that long.  I think if you want Mims you have to get him in the 2nd.   Maybe with your first pick.   He looks good to me.  

I’d like to pick up an edge rusher or an OT as well.  Not finding anyone without flaws a lot of pretty good players though.

I think a lot of good OTs will be gone by time Bears pick.   I’d rather they not take another IOL unless its late.  Considering Matthew Peart from UConn.   Not sure where he will go, but I am pretty sure he will be there.   Has measurables and athletic ability I like in an OT.  I like his game film, but I can only find one game of him though against poor competition.   Tough to get a bead on him from just that.   He has good feet and hands, two things I really value in an OT.  Doesn’t have any nasty in him though.  

Saw some of Zack Baun at edge.   I don’t know that he will be there when Bears pick.  He might Be too undersized anyway, but he is a really nice play maker all over field.  Awesome closing speed and great football instincts.   I don’t think he gives you great straight pass rush though.  Just good.  He is more of an all around LB like Floyd.  

My sleeper TE is Cheyenne O’Grady out of Arkansas.  I think he is low on some boards or off them due to discipline issues, but I think he can play and is worth the risk as a later round pick.

I might look at Fromm.  From what I have seen watching other players with him in background I don’t hate him, though he does seem to be on low end of athletic ability.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Starting to look at prospects.  If you are going BPA then it is hard not to take a WR in 2nd as that is where value seems to be.  I hate to draft WRs every year though with a lot of holes to fill.

I like Mims at WR.   I think some of you had him going in 3rd to us after a trade down, I don’t think he lasts that long.  I think if you want Mims you have to get him in the 2nd.   Maybe with your first pick.   He looks good to me.  

Good break down all in all, @dll2000. I like Mims, however he seems a little raw. Strikes me as a guy who could easily bust.

I’d like to pick up an edge rusher or an OT as well.  Not finding anyone without flaws a lot of pretty good players though.

I think a lot of good OTs will be gone by time Bears pick.   I’d rather they not take another IOL unless its late.  Considering Matthew Peart from UConn.   Not sure where he will go, but I am pretty sure he will be there.   Has measurables and athletic ability I like in an OT.  I like his game film, but I can only find one game of him though against poor competition.   Tough to get a bead on him from just that.   He has good feet and hands, two things I really value in an OT.  Doesn’t have any nasty in him though.  

I like Peart a lot. Uconn plays nobody like you said so it's hard, but the tooks are there.

Saw some of Zack Baun at edge.   I don’t know that he will be there when Bears pick.  He might Be too undersized anyway, but he is a really nice play maker all over field.  Awesome closing speed and great football instincts.   I don’t think he gives you great straight pass rush though.  Just good.  He is more of an all around LB like Floyd.  

I think Baun will be a Clay Matthews type. Probably not the gaudy sack numbers but better than Floyd still in that regard. He's high energy and flies all over. He has Belichick-at-23 written all over him.

My sleeper TE is Cheyenne O’Grady out of Arkansas.  I think he is low on some boards or off them due to discipline issues, but I think he can play and is worth the risk as a later round pick.

O'Grady, like you said, has some disturbing stuff but let me tell you, Arkansas was bad and I can't say I blame him. He may be available in round 4 or 5 as a round 2 or 3 talent.

I might look at Fromm.  From what I have seen watching other players with him in background I don’t hate him, though he does seem to be on low end of athletic ability.  

Fromm doesn't do much for me, but Pace loves Georgia guys.

• Like 1

Right now Mims and Dugger are my dream 2nd round picks.

Mims is all over the place in mocks. Some have him go late 1st, some in the 3rd round. I'd be happy if he's on the board at 43.

Another guy I really like in the 4th is AJ Dillon. A 1 cut and go RB who can catch passes outside of his body and easily truck over DBs at 250lbs.

He's built like Michael Turner, has some balance and good speed as well.

6'0 247lbs
4.53 40
41 inch vertical
10-11 feet broad jump

• Like 1

I never do the Total control type mock drafts because the stuff they do routinely would never happen in a million years and trading future picks is no fun for present. 

let’s say you get 2 first rounders for Tua or whatever.  We will never know who you would have picked in 2021.  The veteran player trades that happen constantly in that world are a waste of time as well.  

Its just silly.  More fun to do a draft where you can’t trade players at all and can only trade picks within that draft.  

Then you can look back in 4 years and see how your player evals turned out.  Not exact because each team situation is different, but gives you better idea of how your scouting went. 

A bit of a random (and admittedly completely unlikely scenario), but Jonathan Taylor-RB fell to our first pick in the second round on one of these draft sims, and I was curious as to whether we like Monty enough to not jump on that.

Opinions?

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Epyon said:

A bit of a random (and admittedly completely unlikely scenario), but Jonathan Taylor-RB fell to our first pick in the second round on one of these draft sims, and I was curious as to whether we like Monty enough to not jump on that.

Opinions?

Can he play RG?

Way too many critical needs

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can he play RG?

Way too many critical needs

Plus he fumbles a ton.

I've liked Robert Hunt for awhile. He would be perfect at RG.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Cesar Ruiz. He's a natural C and it'd allow Whitehair to move back to G.

Edited by beardown3231

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Plus he fumbles a ton.

I've liked Robert Hunt for awhile. He would be perfect at RG.

I also wouldn't be opposed to Cesar Ruiz. He's a natural C and it'd allow Whitehair to move back to G.

+1 on Taylor’s fumbles.

I think Ruiz is gone by 43 but if he’s there he’d be a great pick. The other IOL I like in round 2 is Cushenberry from LSU who has the same versatility. With a trade down I like Damien Lewis, Hunt or Bartch in round 3, and a little further down I like Lemieux and Bredeson.

I’m expecting we’ll have a guy who can capably start at RG by draft day which will make where we add an IOL in the draft a little more flexible. Wisniewski makes too much sense with his prior ties to Reid and Pedersen and his experience as what would ideally be a highly experienced 3-position backup by week 1. 

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Opinions?

I probably couldn't pass on his talent there. 

57 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

+1 on Taylor’s fumbles.

I think Ruiz is gone by 43 but if he’s there he’d be a great pick. The other IOL I like in round 2 is Cushenberry from LSU who has the same versatility. With a trade down I like Damien Lewis, Hunt or Bartch in round 3, and a little further down I like Lemieux and Bredeson.

I’m expecting we’ll have a guy who can capably start at RG by draft day which will make where we add an IOL in the draft a little more flexible. Wisniewski makes too much sense with his prior ties to Reid and Pedersen and his experience as what would ideally be a highly experienced 3-position backup by week 1. 

I wonder if we take one of the big tackles like Niang or Isaiah Wilson and kick them inside. Both NO and KC love to do that and may give us a long term replacement for Massie.