The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I would love to trade down into the late 2nd pick up a later 3rd and take 2 OLmen to develop.

I’ve been running Fanspeak mocks all evening and keep finding myself doing some kind of trade down from 43 or 50. It’s just the most logical thing to do at this point, especially with the sweet spot for IOL in this draft being in rounds 2-4.  

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

A bit of a random (and admittedly completely unlikely scenario), but Jonathan Taylor-RB fell to our first pick in the second round on one of these draft sims, and I was curious as to whether we like Monty enough to not jump on that.

Opinions?

It's a valid question.  I'm a UW alum so naturally I love Badgers and especially Badger RBs who always seem to find a way to be productive in the NFL.  Given his showing at the Combine I think Pace would have to either seriously consider it or trade the pick for a King's ransom to someone else.

Other more current needs aside he and Monty are not the same type of back and unless Cohen gets untracked this year what are the chances we bring him back in 2021?  Taylor has size, speed, and scoring ability and if he's sitting there at #43 that package would be very hard to ignore if I was a GM.

You're talking about a back that should go far sooner than #43 and we'd still have another 2nd round pick to use on a position of higher need.  But that said I don't believe Taylor will come even close to falling that far.  He's too good.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

My perfect scenario I think would be 

2[43] WR, just so much talent

*Trade Down

2[64] OT

3[96] OG

That gives us 2 high upside options to work up an down the line as competition and long term starters.

Does this scenario presume Coward starts at RG? Or are you counting on the 96th pick to be an immediate contributor?

8 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Does this scenario presume Coward starts at RG? Or are you counting on the 96th pick to be an immediate contributor?

I think he’s expecting a FA signing of some kind at RG between now and the draft to be a stop gap player. Be legitimately surprised if we don’t bring in someone before draft day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think he’s expecting a FA signing of some kind at RG between now and the draft to be a stop gap player. Be legitimately surprised if we don’t bring in someone before draft day. 

I believe this as well which is why predicting who we should draft when and even what positions is kinda premature.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

I believe this as well which is why predicting who we should draft when and even what positions is kinda premature.

My expectation is that we’ll do what Pace has always done and have some level of viable starting option at every position going into the draft so we aren’t locked into anything on draft day. That means a signing at RG and SS between then and now. I think they’re legitimately looking at Tre Roberson as their competition add for Toliver at CB. With the Quinn add significantly bolstering our pass rush I’m ok with that. 

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

My expectation is that we’ll do what Pace has always done and have some level of viable starting option at every position going into the draft so we aren’t locked into anything on draft day. That means a signing at RG and SS between then and now. I think they’re legitimately looking at Tre Roberson as their competition add for Toliver at CB. With the Quinn add significantly bolstering our pass rush I’m ok with that. 

It's reasonable to expect Tolliver to step up this year.  With what little I've seen of him he hasn't embarrassed himself out there.  We've got another half dozen or so on the roster already to cover CB and NB so unless someone falls in his lap he's gotta have I don't see CB as a major need.

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Lets say the Bears are able to trade down and they end up with these picks, what would you do?

More positions than players.

2[43]

2[60]

3[106]

5[163]

5[170]

6[196]

6[202]

7[226]

7[233]

Two teams I like for a trade down are CLE and NYJ. Both have 2 3rds and a 4th. Particularly with the Jets (who have 3-4 and 3-15) we could secure ourselves 3 picks in the top 79. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ve been running Fanspeak mocks all evening and keep finding myself doing some kind of trade down from 43 or 50. It’s just the most logical thing to do at this point, especially with the sweet spot for IOL in this draft being in rounds 2-4.  

Start drafting OTs.   Guards generally suck.  

51 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Two teams I like for a trade down are CLE and NYJ. Both have 2 3rds and a 4th. Particularly with the Jets (who have 3-4 and 3-15) we could secure ourselves 3 picks in the top 79. 

Baltimore 2(60) and Sea 2(64) both are loaded with picks. Balitmore has so many picks they can’t all masks the team.