The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

6 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Yeah Pace really needs to stop drafting IOL and ILB with premium picks. Use premium picks on QB, WR, CB, EDGE, and OT. I know people love Roquan Smith but there are ILB like him in almost every draft.

He needs to fix the OL. The fact we are 4 days into this and nothing has been added is concerning.

What picks he needs to use I don’t care, get it fixed and upgraded.

😐
5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Lets say the Bears are able to trade down and they end up with these picks, what would you do?

More positions than players.

2[43]

2[60]

3[106]

5[163]

5[170]

6[196]

6[202]

7[226]

7[233]

Might steal this layout for a mock draft. Or maybe AZs double down for 3 top 79 picks.

I am looking for a better option at QB. We have Flip so if someone grades out well and Nagy should pull the trigger. We don't have a long-term option on the roster there but we have a chance to have Flip work with them AND to integrate them into the system. Don't force it if they aren't worth it by your grades. Tru most likely needs to be gone next year and Foles is JAG. 

For the first picks I am looking at OT, EDGE,WR, CB, and TE and giving them a boost for their grades. You need to have a BPA approach but certain positions are just more impactful. If you have an OT and OG both graded out at a 8.5 /10, then you give the OT the nod usually. JMO. Same for EDGE vs ILB, CB vs S, etc.  

Assuming there isn't a QB that interests me at the top pick - 

2[43] - OT (Leno can't handle power rushers and Massie just sucked last year overall)

2[60] - OT (Draft is deep at OT, take advantage of it. One may beat out Massie and the other likely can start at RG)

3[106] - CB (We need competition there and there is some talent to be had in the top 100 or so here)

5[163] - EDGE (Need a developmental prospect with tools to work with, starters are locked up but adding talent here is ALWAYS a plus)

5[170] - WR (Need a burner to stretch the defense)

6[196] - P (Sorry @beardown3231, your love of Pat doesn't save him anymore   lol)

6[202] - DT (big boy to rotate in for goal line and hopefully develop into depth for Goldman)

7[226] - Any ST player. Kicker to compete with Pineiro, a returner, a gunner, etc. Someone who just can add value.

7[233] - Mobile QB like Tyler Huntley, Khalil Tate, or someone else who can wok on the PS to help prepare for athletic QBs like Wilson and Co. More drafting for that and to work the defense with containment drills. 

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Might steal this layout for a mock draft. Or maybe AZs double down for 3 top 79 picks.

I am looking for a better option at QB. We have Flip so if someone grades out well and Nagy should pull the trigger. We don't have a long-term option on the roster there but we have a chance to have Flip work with them AND to integrate them into the system. Don't force it if they aren't worth it by your grades. Tru most likely needs to be gone next year and Foles is JAG. 

For the first picks I am looking at OT, EDGE,WR, CB, and TE and giving them a boost for their grades. You need to have a BPA approach but certain positions are just more impactful. If you have an OT and OG both graded out at a 8.5 /10, then you give the OT the nod usually. JMO. Same for EDGE vs ILB, CB vs S, etc.  

Assuming there isn't a QB that interests me at the top pick - 

2[43] - OT (Leno can't handle power rushers and Massie just sucked last year overall)

2[60] - OT (Draft is deep at OT, take advantage of it. One may beat out Massie and the other likely can start at RG)

3[106] - CB (We need competition there and there is some talent to be had in the top 100 or so here)

5[163] - EDGE (Need a developmental prospect with tools to work with, starters are locked up but adding talent here is ALWAYS a plus)

5[170] - WR (Need a burner to stretch the defense)

6[196] - P (Sorry @beardown3231, your love of Pat doesn't save him anymore   lol)

6[202] - DT (big boy to rotate in for goal line and hopefully develop into depth for Goldman)

7[226] - Any ST player. Kicker to compete with Pineiro, a returner, a gunner, etc. Someone who just can add value.

7[233] - Mobile QB like Tyler Huntley, Khalil Tate, or someone else who can wok on the PS to help prepare for athletic QBs like Wilson and Co. More drafting for that and to work the defense with containment drills. 

Take a P at 43 for all I care ;)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

LMAO. The epitome of "F**K that guy" is setting the record for highest drafted punter in NFL history. 

I believe the record is now Bryan Anger in round 3. I don't remember what pick he was, but I remember JAX took him over Russell Wilson. I'm surprised it wasn't set by Al Davis :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I believe the record is now Bryan Anger in round 3. I don't remember what pick he was, but I remember JAX took him over Russell Wilson. I'm surprised it wasn't set by Al Davis :D

Davis passed away in 2011, Pat out benched Clowney in the 2014 draft. Had Davis lived long enough he might have taken Pat over Mack.  lol 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, soulman said:

It's a valid question.  I'm a UW alum so naturally I love Badgers and especially Badger RBs who always seem to find a way to be productive in the NFL.  Given his showing at the Combine I think Pace would have to either seriously consider it or trade the pick for a King's ransom to someone else.

Other more current needs aside he and Monty are not the same type of back and unless Cohen gets untracked this year what are the chances we bring him back in 2021?  Taylor has size, speed, and scoring ability and if he's sitting there at #43 that package would be very hard to ignore if I was a GM.

You're talking about a back that should go far sooner than #43 and we'd still have another 2nd round pick to use on a position of higher need.  But that said I don't believe Taylor will come even close to falling that far.  He's too good.

I love Taylor, but he has a lot of mileage already. They ran him into the ground.

6 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I love Taylor, but he has a lot of mileage already. They ran him into the ground.

Well that's pretty much true of any UW back and others as well.

Melvin Gordon had a lot of mileage on him too but he's still been reasonably productive as a pro.  As with most RBs if an NFL team can get 4-5 productive years from one IMHO they've gotten their money's worth from him.  Not many get a big 2nd contract.  In fact Gordon turned down a $10 mil AAV deal from the Chargers last year and now he can't get offers even close to that.

But IMHO the question is almost beyond hypothetical.  Taylor should be one of the first backs drafted if not the first.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Well that's pretty much true of any UW back and others as well.

Melvin Gordon had a lot of mileage on him too but he's still been reasonably productive as a pro.  As with most RBs if an NFL team can get 4-5 productive years from one IMHO they've gotten their money's worth from him.  Not many get a big 2nd contract.  In fact Gordon turned down a $10 mil AAV deal from the Chargers last year and now he can't get offers even close to that.

But IMHO the question is almost beyond hypothetical.  Taylor should be one of the first backs drafted if not the first.

My suspicion is that we will be looking to the FA market for a back to supplement what we get from Montgomery. Devonta Freeman would make a lot of sense to me as an experienced backup. I think we probably draft a guy late too to be that longer term RB2. I don’t see anything worth building around with Ryan Nall. 

• Like 2

We'd have to do some maneuvering to get him, if the draft sims are accurate, but:

I'm very intrigued by Memphis Antonio Gibson-RB/WR...... 221 lbs but 4.39 speed, and WR level hands.  Hes currently projected for mid third  to mid fourth, however.. and we'd need some kind of trade to come back for him.

My absolute ideal board right now is:

2a   Denzel Mims-WR >Lucas Niang-RT > Jalen Raegor-WR > Jonathan Taylor-RB

2b  AJ Terrell-CB > (minor trade down for the rest of these) Isaiah Wilson-RT (or RG if we also got Niang-OT) = Adam Trautman-TE (above Wilson if we get Niang, below him if not... disapointing 40 time but his elite agility numbers give me hope)  >>>  Dugger/Chin -SS

4* (on a special trade up) Antonio Gibson-WR/RB , Anthony Gordon-QB

5 Micheal Onwenu-OG (might require a small trade upwards) >>>>> Antoine Brooks Jr-SS (if no Dugger or Chin with 2b) >  Khalil Davis-DL > Sewo Olonilua-RB =  Justin Strnad-LB

6-7 and later we're getting into the weeds with people who may or may not be on the board from earlier, or are probably irrelevant replacement players... Ideally I'm trading as many of those picks as i can to move back up into that 4th-5th range before the talent pool drops off a cliff... about half of the guys I listed for a 5th rounder where still on the draft sim board for our 6th.

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You are drafting our starting RG in the 5th round?

You have to leave round 2 with a lineman, Niang should be 1.

That is not going to fix an OL that held this team back in 2019.

I'm willing to draft all 3 of Niang, Wilson, and Onwenu honestly..... The concern is that Wilson and Niang are both pegged as likely "RT only" prospects and one of them is going to need to play LT (or RG) long term for us to get both.

I'd be looking to All 3 of those dudes are gigantic mauling type dudes though and would revamp our line entirely.

As for the concern about Onwenu being the starting RG if that came to pass, the guy is a brick wall... and a mauler with nimble feet.... he's just a very big boy (upwards of 375-390 lbs at points last year), so he's not a big "2nd or 3rd level" guy....

I honestly don't know why he's anywhere near that low on the draft boards. I'd actually trust him at OG a hell of a lot more than I currently trust Daniels.

On 3/19/2020 at 3:01 PM, abstract_thought said:

Yeah Pace really needs to stop drafting IOL and ILB with premium picks. Use premium picks on QB, WR, CB, EDGE, and OT. I know people love Roquan Smith but there are ILB like him in almost every draft.

That simply isn't true. 

But I do get what you're saying. 

42 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm willing to draft all 3 of Niang, Wilson, and Onwenu honestly..... The concern is that Wilson and Niang are both pegged as likely "RT only" prospects and one of them is going to need to play LT (or RG) long term for us to get both.

I'd be looking to All 3 of those dudes are gigantic mauling type dudes though and would revamp our line entirely.

As for the concern about Onwenu being the starting RG if that came to pass, the guy is a brick wall... and a mauler with nimble feet.... he's just a very big boy (upwards of 375-390 lbs at points last year), so he's not a big "2nd or 3rd level" guy....

I honestly don't know why he's anywhere near that low on the draft boards. I'd actually trust him at OG a hell of a lot more than I currently trust Daniels.

The good LTs always go really high.

We may be better going RT and replacing the 32 year old Massie in 2021.