The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

So where are we at now... based on FA moves I think Pace/Nagy are in win now mode. That tells me we aren't going to burn high draft picks on developmental prospects.

Needs in no particular order:

1. OG

2. Speed WR

3. SS

4. Swing T

5. RB depth

One part of me thinks that we take the BPA OL/WR/SS at #43 and trade down from #50... but the #43 pick is worth 70 more points than #50. Now I'm thinking we might trade down from #43 and take our BPA at #50 with the hope of picking up a 3rd. Or we can drop down a few slots from #50 and pick up a 4th. Regardless, I'll be stunned if there isn't at least one trade down that we make this draft. Question is where do we go... are we giving up on Riley Ridley already? Since we got rid of Gabriel, who is going to be our burner? Do we take a WR like KJ Hamler or Jalen Reagor if a solid OT is staring at us?

15 hours ago, G08 said:

So where are we at now... based on FA moves I think Pace/Nagy are in win now mode. That tells me we aren't going to burn high draft picks on developmental prospects.

Needs in no particular order:

1. OG

2. Speed WR

3. SS

4. Swing T

5. RB depth

One part of me thinks that we take the BPA OL/WR/SS at #43 and trade down from #50... but the #43 pick is worth 70 more points than #50. Now I'm thinking we might trade down from #43 and take our BPA at #50 with the hope of picking up a 3rd. Or we can drop down a few slots from #50 and pick up a 4th. Regardless, I'll be stunned if there isn't at least one trade down that we make this draft. Question is where do we go... are we giving up on Riley Ridley already? Since we got rid of Gabriel, who is going to be our burner? Do we take a WR like KJ Hamler or Jalen Reagor if a solid OT is staring at us?

I want a burner too, but in thinking back to last year (and really the last 2 years) we did have guys who got open deep. We didn’t have a guy who could hit them. I can think of half a dozen times Miller was open down the seam or behind the defense last year and was either overthrown or woefully under thrown. Several times for ARob too, and that’s just the guys still here. Diversifying our WR skill set will open things up, but being able to actually hit the guys who come open down the field will matter even more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

That's why I'm okay with a later round pick being a burner. I think if we have a decoy, that'll be fine because like you said, Miller was open a ton deep and fairly often. If Trubs would've seen or been able to hit him, it would change that narrative very quickly. Miller can jump and attack the ball in the air, that was one of his strengths coming out.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I want a burner too, but in thinking back to last year (and really the last 2 years) we did have guys who got open deep. We didn’t have a guy who could hit them. I can think of half a dozen times Miller was open down the seam or behind the defense last year and was either overthrown or woefully under thrown. Several times for ARob too, and that’s just the guys still here. Diversifying our WR skill set will open things up, but being able to actually hit the guys who come open down the field will matter even more. 

Ed Zachary......

So will Mitch's deep ball improve or can Foles make that better?  I'm all for big plays but you only get so may shots downfield per game and you have to hit on at least some of them.  We seldom do.  So I can also live with a quick receiver who gets open a lot and can roll up tons of YAC.  It's not like Miller and ARob can't get deep it's more that Mitch couldn't connect when they did.

A burner is fine but I wouldn't rate speed over other skills on a 2nd round pick.  Speed can be found almost anywhere.  Great receiving skills can't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We need speed for more YAC as well. The Bears are just pitiful in yards after the catch.

Someone with some gas that can take a slant 50 yards would be a nice spark to the offense.

You aren’t going to get YAC when defense is compressed.   There is no space.  It all goes hand in hand.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You aren’t going to get YAC when defense is compressed.   There is no space.  It all goes hand in hand.  

Was going to post exactly this. Having a QB who can hit throws to all parts of the field creates space.

I assume the Bears will draft a WR but I’d like to see what many of the younger guys look like with a real NFL QB. Miller especially has flashed talent but has been regularly missed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Was going to post exactly this. Having a QB who can hit throws to all parts of the field creates space.

I assume the Bears will draft a WR but I’d like to see what many of the younger guys look like with a real NFL QB. Miller especially has flashed talent but has been regularly missed.

Right.  You typically need at least some semblance of a running game, a good QB, adequate pocket time and at least one receiver teams fear can get behind them to have an above average successful NFL offense.  

Or a dynamic running (see Balt or 49ers) or passing game which opens up other

12 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Right.  You typically need at least some semblance of a running game, a good QB, adequate pocket time and at least one receiver teams fear can get behind them to have an above average successful NFL offense.  

Or a dynamic running (see Balt or 49ers) or passing game which opens up other

The failure on offense in 2019 was so complete I think even the coaching staff is probably unsure about which factors were the most significant.  Really makes it hard to fix specific problems when you're checking "D) all of the above"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think, at minimum, we need the threat of the deep ball. Hell, even if it's not a primary read, rip the top off the defense and see if you can get Graham to pull coverage as well.

2 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

The failure on offense in 2019 was so complete I think even the coaching staff is probably unsure about which factors were the most significant.  Really makes it hard to fix specific problems when you're checking "D) all of the above"

I'm more than willing to pin a significant chunk of this on the offensive line. Good ******* Lord I have never seen a QB get DECKED on a three step drop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I'm more than willing to pin a significant chunk of this on the offensive line. Good ******* Lord I have never seen a QB get DECKED on a three step drop.

That was the one thing I saw coming after 2018, I remember watching a lot of Trubisky's game tape after 2018 (and thinking he'd be good in 2019, ******* dumbass) and kept noticing blown blocks left and right.  I just don't get how they all got worse after that with Hiestand who had such bona fides. 

My next wrong prediction: Trubisky gets traded to the Patriots, and actually ends up being decent. 

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

You missed the Webb, Omiyale and Cutler days huh? xD

I kid I kid. Yes, the OL last year was abysmal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, G08 said:

A good O line can cover up a lot of other problems and a bad one can make good or decent players look bad.

I have said a QB makes WRs more than other way around.  Olines make RBs, etc.  

An Oline can make or unmake everyone.

Only the Patriots with Brady could play with relatively bad O lines.  Because he could make quick decisions when needed, had a quick release and their O line coach was best in the league.  Their coach is really good at making bad players okay and okay players good.

I always said don't sign Patriots O line in FA unless they are uber talented.  They aren't going to be the same player for you they were for them.

• Like 1