The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I respectfully completely disagree. We don’t have anyone on the roster who threatens the opponent vertically. Without that defenses are going to continue to sit on the short and mid range routes and make life more difficult on our QB and play caller. The difference that the speed of guys like Hill, Hardman and Deebo make and the things that speed opens up for everyone is something we don’t have at all. As of right now going into 2020 we have:

Allen Robinson - stud 

Anthony Miller - up and down through 2 years, and coming off another shoulder surgery that will keep him out of most if not all of the offseason program again

Taylor Gabriel - averaging 10.8 ypc across 2 years in Chicago and a strong cut candidate 

Riley Ridley - almost no PT as a rookie 

Javon Wims - just a guy 

You’re good with that? I’m not. 

That WR group is better than at least half of the NFL. The Bears’ offensive line talent is not.

Gabriel has deep speed and made no impact here. Miller has been open deep many times and has very few big plays to show for it. The Bears’ inability to connect on deep passes is not for a lack of WR talent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

That WR group is better than at least half of the NFL. The Bears’ offensive line talent is not.

Gabriel has deep speed and made no impact here. Miller has been open deep many times and has very few big plays to show for it. The Bears’ inability to connect on deep passes is not for a lack of WR talent.

I think Turbo Taylor's speed has tailed off a bit.  

That said I agree that Mitch is very inconsistent in his ability to hit those deep balls.  That absolutely has to improve if he is ever going to be something.

I like our depth overall at WR but we could definitely use another impact player. We don;t really have a solid #2 behind AR.  Miller has shown flashes of being capable but he is way too inconsistent.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not either and would like to add some speed.

If they spend a 2nd round pick on a dynamic WR I do not have an issue with that as it adds to the offense. The Bears generate almost no YAC yards and that has to change in a West Coast system.

I'm in the minority here but I sign Phillip Dorsett in free agency. 

He has his issues but he has WR skills and runs like a ******* cheetah. 

1. Allen Robinson

2. Anthony Miller 

3. Phillip Dorsett 

4. Riley Ridley 

5. Javon Wims

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Let’s not kid ourselves here - the Bears as presently constructed at WR are one Allen Robinson injury away from being arguably one of the worst WR groups in the NFL, especially when you consider the injury risk of their #2 WR. Gabriel is likely gone this offseason and the rest of the guys are just guys at least to this point. Also, the need for elite speed isn’t just about deep passes. It’s about pressuring the defense at all levels. There are no home run hitters on that offense aside from Robinson, and that includes Cohen, who IMO is far more hype than substance. How many times in 2 years has Gabriel shown top flight RAC ability? Any? 

I’m not saying the need for speed at WR is their biggest need - they without question need the guy on the other end of those passes to be better - but it’s certainly on the list. We need to get better at both sides of that rainbow. The WR group after AR was woefully underwhelming in 2019 outside of 2nd half Miller who’s now going to again miss the whole offseason program. We can’t just roll into 2020 with AR, Miller, Wims and Ridley and be like YEP WE GOT THIS with what we have at QB. We just did that and they led the league in drops. KC has the best QB in the league and yet they keep adding weapons. Mismatch players. We have one. They have one at every spot. The R2 talent at WR this year is R1 talent in most years from everything reported by everyone. 

I’m not saying don’t address the OL by any stretch. But, we aren’t in any likely scenario benching $10M+ in salary on the recently extended Leno/Massie/Whitehair or our 2018 2nd rounder, so the immediate upgrades on the OL are gonna be at RG (where I expect a vet FA and a draft pick, possibly also in round 2) and in scheme. Wanting more there and expecting more given the circumstances are two separate things. Salary wise we are almost certainly stuck with Leno and Massie for 2020 for better or worse. That an OT rookie isn’t likely to play in 2020 pushes it down the list a little bit to me. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Let’s not kid ourselves here - the Bears as presently constructed at WR are one Allen Robinson injury away from being arguably one of the worst WR groups in the NFL, especially when you consider the injury risk of their #2 WR. Gabriel is likely gone this offseason and the rest of the guys are just guys at least to this point. Also, the need for elite speed isn’t just about deep passes. It’s about pressuring the defense at all levels. There are no home run hitters on that offense aside from Robinson, and that includes Cohen, who IMO is far more hype than substance. How many times in 2 years has Gabriel shown top flight RAC ability? Any? 

I’m not saying the need for speed at WR is their biggest need - they without question need the guy on the other end of those passes to be better - but it’s certainly on the list. We need to get better at both sides of that rainbow. The WR group after AR was woefully underwhelming in 2019 outside of 2nd half Miller who’s now going to again miss the whole offseason program. We can’t just roll into 2020 with AR, Miller, Wims and Ridley and be like YEP WE GOT THIS with what we have at QB. We just did that and they led the league in drops. KC has the best QB in the league and yet they keep adding weapons. Mismatch players. We have one. They have one at every spot. The R2 talent at WR this year is R1 talent in most years from everything reported by everyone. 

I’m not saying don’t address the OL by any stretch. But, we aren’t in any likely scenario benching $10M+ in salary on the recently extended Leno/Massie/Whitehair or our 2018 2nd rounder, so the immediate upgrades on the OL are gonna be at RG (where I expect a vet FA and a draft pick, possibly also in round 2) and in scheme. Wanting more there and expecting more given the circumstances are two separate things. Salary wise we are almost certainly stuck with Leno and Massie for 2020 for better or worse. That an OT rookie isn’t likely to play in 2020 pushes it down the list a little bit to me. 

Agreed AZ.  The worst trait that most fans have is they overrate their own talent.

Our WR group, while talented, is not nearly good enough for what this offense calls for and to be one of the better units in the NFL. 

It is similar to GB Packers WRs.  You've got 1 stud WR and then a bunch of guys, albeit some with lots of potential, but simply not good enough just yet.  I don't bank on this current group being enough.

I encourage anyone to look at the WR groups around the league. This team does not lack WR talent. Many teams are in the same situation. Several are worse.

Among playoff teams I’d rate the Bears’ WR talent above NE, Buffalo, Green Bay, Baltimore, and San Francisco. Neither Seattle nor Tennessee have significantly better groups.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I encourage anyone to look at the WR groups around the league. This team does not lack WR talent. Many teams are in the same situation. Several are worse.

Among playoff teams I’d rate the Bears’ WR talent above NE, Buffalo, Green Bay, Baltimore, and San Francisco. Neither Seattle nor Tennessee have significantly better groups.

It does not lack talent but they are still pretty unproven behind ARob and the unit as a whole lacks game breaking speed, unless you are counting Cordarelle Patterson in there.

Like I said, while I think Gabriel has good wheels, he isn't the true game breaker that they need to really open things up.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

It does not lack talent but they are still pretty unproven behind ARob and the unit as a whole lacks game breaking speed, unless you are counting Cordarelle Patterson in there.

Like I said, while I think Gabriel has good wheels, he isn't the true game breaker that they need to really open things up.

Agree, and KJ Hamler should be the guy at 43 if he's available, assuming they don't address things in free agency. Reminds me a ton of Desean Jackson

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Let’s not kid ourselves here - the Bears as presently constructed at WR are one Allen Robinson injury away from being arguably one of the worst WR groups in the NFL, especially when you consider the injury risk of their #2 WR. 

1uf27Y7.gif