The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Taylor Gabriel was in the top 10 in YAC/reception in Atlanta.

Wonder what changed when he came to Chicago that could possibly impact YAC...

Average player performs better under primarily controlled conditions indoors while coached by the best offensive mind in football (Shanahan) with a HOF QB throwing to him during a period where he’s principally in a subpackage role with a HOF WR drawing consistent double coverage opposite him. Color me shocked. 

I guess we’d better put him back under ideal circumstances so he can produce... 😒

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Taylor Gabriel was in the top 10 in YAC/reception in Atlanta.

Wonder what changed when he came to Chicago that could possibly impact YAC...

Obviously the most convenient scapegoat is Mitch Mitch Mitch.

11 hours ago, G08 said:

You know who I would love at 43 if we don't replace Gabriel in FA? Jalen Reagor... kid can flat-out fly.

He is someone I would think about in round 2 long and hard.

I think they will be looking at OLB and TE more than WR as I see no good options for those spots outside of the draft.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Average player performs better under primarily controlled conditions indoors while coached by the best offensive mind in football (Shanahan) with a HOF QB throwing to him during a period where he’s principally in a subpackage role with a HOF WR drawing consistent double coverage opposite him. Color me shocked. 

I guess we’d better put him back under ideal circumstances so he can produce... 😒

He was a good player with strong YAC ability until he joined a team with one of the least accurate QBs in football.

There’s a reason every Bears WR is underperforming their expected YAC and it has little to do with playing outside.

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

He was a good player with strong YAC ability until he joined a team with one of the least accurate QBs in football.

There’s a reason every Bears WR is underperforming their expected YAC and it has little to do with playing outside.

Gabriel is what he is, which is a skill set limited dwarf of a WR with no real upside beyond being a 600 complementary piece IF surrounded with ideal conditions. He’s never shown the ability to be a good #2. He’s a #3 at best, and we need to aim higher (no height joke intended). The starting QB situation isn’t likely to change in 2020, at least not right away, and even if it did Gabriel has already shown what he is with an elite QB and elite OC and it’s not a whole lot different so it’s really not much more than a convenient excuse for why Gabriel hasn’t been anything more here than he was before his arrival. He’s a role player. That’s his fit. Miller may be no more than a role player too and health is a concern there.

We need a bona fide starter with coverage dictating speed opposite ARob. The lack of that field stretching element is glaring in how teams defend us. A true field stretcher loosens up the short/mid passing game and the run game and some of the added coverage going to Robinson. Even at his absolute peak Gabriel does none of these things. His RAC numbers in Atlanta weren’t what they were because he was turning 12 yard passes into 30 yard gains. They were what they were because he was turning 3 yard quick hits into 10 yard gains. Not only is that not going to happen here until they can add someone to back the defense off the LOS with more regularity but even if they do Gabriel’s ability to do those things is completely superfluous because Cohen has the same skill set and can easily take those reps with Montgomery staying in the backfield. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Every single Bears WR has a negative expected YAC score.

That is the YAC they are expected to get once they have caught the ball.

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Very much serious. Our QB needs to be far better but our WR2-WR6 need to be far better too. Both made each other look worse this year. 

So you have an absolute take on how good Miller, Ridley, and Wims are...and they're TERRIBLE? 

Yeah.

Okay...

18 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Obviously the most convenient scapegoat is Mitch Mitch Mitch.

I'd throw Nagy in there, too. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, WindyCity said:

He is a physically talented QB who 2 years ago had a really good year.

Someone is taking him early.

A top 15 pick? I can't see him being taken that high based on the school he played for and the competition. The kid is a risk that high.

4 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

A top 15 pick? I can't see him being taken that high based on the school he played for and the competition. The kid is a risk that high.

He's most likely not a top 15 pick, no. He probably won't last until the third, though...

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He's most likely not a top 15 pick, no. He probably won't last until the third, though...

If Love is there at 43, I'll paypal you $100. He's ultra talented. I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't taken top 32

15 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Level of competition is overrated by fans. Scouts don't care. They try to figure out how those skills translate, no matter where they went to school. Look at Mack, Jerry Rice, Flacco, Walter Payton, etc. The list goes on.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

So you have an absolute take on how good Miller, Ridley, and Wims are...and they're TERRIBLE? 

Yeah.

Okay...

I said they need to be far better. They’re underwhelming. I don’t believe I used the word terrible. Miller is talented but injury prone to this point. Wims is just a guy, and Ridley is an asset of unknown value who couldn’t get on the field ahead of Wims as a rookie. 

They're all young players and all should improve at least to some extent, but the one I think can actually be a viable #2 WR for us both isn’t now and hasn’t been consistently healthy through 2 seasons and struggled at times with the mental part of the game when he was. I wasn’t making a conclusive statement about anyone’s long term viability but rather commenting to that in their current form I didn’t think they were good enough to not face serious competition for their roles. 

To flip the question - are you comfortable going into 2020 that Miller, Ridley and Wims ARE good enough as WR2-4 going forward to not face serious competition? And, if so, based on what more than your gut feeling? I’m not asking to be dismissive of your opinion in favor of my own by any means but because I like to see what other people see to assess whether my own opinion is ill advised or uninformed. 

Finally, it’s not my take. It’s my opinion. That’s not meant as snark toward your use but rather a general comment. I understand the words are synonymous but I looooooooooathe the term take. I blame Bayless and SAS and Twitter for that, but that’s another discussion for another day.