The 2020 Draft Thread - Day 3 begins 11am CST

WindyCity

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I said they need to be far better. They’re underwhelming. I don’t believe I used the word terrible. Miller is talented but injury prone to this point. Wims is just a guy, and Ridley is an asset of unknown value who couldn’t get on the field ahead of Wims as a rookie. 

No. You made it seem even worse than that. 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, AZBearsFan said:

Let’s not kid ourselves here - the Bears as presently constructed at WR are one Allen Robinson injury away from being arguably one of the worst WR groups in the NFL, especially when you consider the injury risk of their #2 WR. 

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You didn't bold the word arguably

Again I doubt you could name 5 worse groups than Miller, Wims, Ridley and Patterson

Remove the top WR from every team. The Bears are far from the worst.

I’m way more confident in this WR group than I am in the offensive line. It’s not an elite unit but the Bears have far more pressing needs.

Edited by abstract_thought

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

No. You made it seem even worse than that. 

Remember the comment was if Robinson were to get hurt. In that scenario, a WR group of Miller, Ridley and Wims is somehow not a huge problem to you? Miller has a chronic shoulder problem and has been inconsistent through 2 years. Ridley was inactive almost his entire rookie season. Wims is just a guy. Even if Gabriel isn’t cut (I expect he will be) he isn’t a #2 in terms of talent but he’d be the de facto #1 in that group. What other team’s WR corps can you say that group would be definitively better than if Robinson were to be out? Where could Wims or Ridley go elsewhere right now and without question take a top 3 WR role on that other roster from the incumbent player? 

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I’m way more confident in this WR group than I am in the offensive line. It’s not an elite unit but the Bears have far more pressing needs.

Top WR removed from each roster, who is worse in your opinion than Miller/Ridley/Wims? 

I never said I was confident in the OL but the 2 needs are not mutually exclusive. Both need significant upgrades. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

How does that change anything? 

Because "one of the worst" and "arguably one of the worst" are different

Still waiting on the question

9 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Far? Like, 3 or 4 teams away?

This isn't an argument for the OL. Of course they stink

Baltimore, San Francisco, New England, Buffalo, Green Bay, Oakland, Detroit, Miami, New York, New York, and Washington are all worse. There are several more that fall into the “not meaningfully better” category.

But I’m not sure what this illustrates. If you remove a #1 starter from each Bears position group, WR wouldn’t worry me nearly as much as OT, OG, EDGE, or CB. You have to invest your limited resources to address your largest need areas.

I’d also point out that both Miller and Ridley are young and were well-regarded as prospects. Miller has already shown flashes of good play when his QB can throw the ball anywhere near him.

In games he was targeted more than 5 times, Miller averaged 6.5rec/82.5yds.

• Like 1

This feels like a lot of **** measuring... are we ignoring RBs as targets and TEs as well.

Come on now.

Our WR corps is fine, we need one thing IMO after we cut Gabriel and that is pure, unadulterated speeeeeeeed.

55 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Baltimore, San Francisco, New England, Buffalo, Green Bay, Oakland, Detroit, Miami, New York, New York, and Washington are all worse. There are several more that fall into the “not meaningfully better” category.

But I’m not sure what this illustrates. If you remove a #1 starter from each Bears position group, WR wouldn’t worry me nearly as much as OT, OG, EDGE, or CB. You have to invest your limited resources to address your largest need areas.

I’d also point out that both Miller and Ridley are young and were well-regarded as prospects. Miller has already shown flashes of good play when his QB can throw the ball anywhere near him.

In games he was targeted more than 5 times, Miller averaged 6.5rec/82.5yds.

Ravens- Snead and Roberts are better than Miller and Wims

Niners- Samuel and Bourne are better than Miller and Wims

Pats- Harry and Sanu are far better than Miller and Wims

Bills- Beasley and Roberts are better than Miller and Wims

Raiders- Renfrow and Jones are better than Miller and Wims

Lions- Jones and Amendola are far better than Miller and Wims

Giants- Tate and Slayton are better than Miller and Wims

Jets- Crowder and Thomas are better than Miller and Wims

You're probably right on the Packers, Dolphins and Redskins though

I'll be surprised if round 2 isn't some combo of TE and OL, or TE and CB, or TE and EDGE.  Given that we have an object lesson in how this sort of offense works without quality tight end(s) I think it'll be both FA and draft priority. They have a large number or other positions that they need to hit with the other pick in rd 2, but are going to have to get their best value and hope the people on the roster now stay healthy. 

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Outside of maybe Ebron who is likely?

It does not sound like Hunter Henry is getting out of LA and they cannot afford him anyway. Hooper sounds like he is getting 10+

According to some here, Ebron is apparently the next Shannon Sharpe so why not?