What does Brees himself have to do?

x0x

In discussions of greatest athletes in sport, you'd think there's a fine balance between statistical accumulations, individual accolades and winning.

Jordan had all 3 and as such is considered the GOAT in Basketball, although Kareem does as well but to a lesser degree (Finals MVPs for example).

In the NFL, you cannot argue with Brady as he not only has 50% more Super Bowl victories than any other QB but he has the individual accolades and stats on his side too (1 more season MVP than Montana for example).

But what about Drew Brees? Here you have a guy who yes with the aid of modern rule changes climbed aboard the statistical mountain but to a degree not seen in the modern era. And we'll focus on comparing to peer not raw numbers.

Dan Marino lead the league in passing yards 5 times, TDs 3 times, completions 6 times and passer rating once. One league MVP, 3 time 1st Team All-Pro, twice a 2nd Team (by the AP).

Drew Brees has lead in
Yards x7
TDs x4
Per% x6
Com x6
Pass Rt x2

1 First Team
4 Second Team
Two OPYs

His playoff numbers are good despite only 1 Super Bowl being 6th in TDs and 4th in passer rating. And yes, he's the career regular season leader in all major passing categories including completion percentage.

Obviously as with the perceived greatest passers in league history he needs to win more titles, even if 1 more but currently the following great QBs with mind you far less statistical accomplishments are considered among the best with 1 title, Favre, Rodgers and Young. Unitas technically had 3 titles but the last 1 is not on his shoulders having 3 completions and 1 of those passes accounting for majority of yardage where he was knocked out at the half.

So in my estimation given all the numbers, Brees can be the 3rd greatest QB in the Super Bowl era behind only Brady and Montana with a 2nd ring.

I think it's more that the playoffs are extremely volatile and random, but people don't recognize that nearly enough. A lot of times in the playoffs, the team with the better roster ends up losing because of weird, fluke plays happening.

Super Bowls are freaking hard to get. You have to both be perfect and be extremely lucky. Having that combination multiple times in your career is basically asking the impossible.

• Like 4

The dude would need 1-2 more superbowls to push for GOAT.

But Brady will always have the SB argument and honestly Brees is gonna do down as top 3 of his era but as the no.2-3 because of more established QBs like Manning, Manning, Brady, Rodgers etc. 

10 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

At this point, nothing.  He's too close to the end to drastically change any minds.  

This. 

We saw Brees’ prime, we know he’s going down as a statistical leader. Similar with Denver Peyton - a ring at the end is a nice story and extra hardware is always a plus, but it’s not going to do much to push him IMO.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

This. 

We saw Brees’ prime, we know he’s going down as a statistical leader. Similar with Denver Peyton - a ring at the end is a nice story and extra hardware is always a plus, but it’s not going to do much to push him IMO.

Yes, any ring now for Brees, however unlikely, will have come way after his prime when he's clearly inferior physically, and wouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

6 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

The dude would need 1-2 more superbowls to push for GOAT.

But Brady will always have the SB argument and honestly Brees is gonna do down as top 3 of his era but as the no.2-3 because of more established QBs like Manning, Manning, Brady, Rodgers etc. 

Is Rodgers more established than Brees?

5 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I think it's more that the playoffs are extremely volatile and random, but people don't recognize that nearly enough. A lot of times in the playoffs, the team with the better roster ends up losing because of weird, fluke plays happening.

Super Bowls are freaking hard to get. You have to both be perfect and be extremely lucky. Having that combination multiple times in your career is basically asking the impossible.

The Saints have missed having a BYE week at 13-3 on two occasions and had to go on the road in WC twice at 11-5. That is definitely a measure of bad luck in regular season standings although they got a BYE with a 10-6 record back in 2006 so that brings it back a tad. And of course back to back seasons ended in extremely rare fashion (miracle pass, blatant defensive no call).

8 minutes ago, x0x said:

The Saints have missed having a BYE week at 13-3 on two occasions and had to go on the road in WC twice at 11-5. That is definitely a measure of bad luck in regular season standings although they got a BYE with a 10-6 record back in 2006 so that brings it back a tad. And of course back to back seasons ended in extremely rare fashion (miracle pass, blatant defensive no call).

They were never gonna beat Chicago at Chicago in 2006.  I don't know of any Saints fan really that expected to win that game.  The losses that really hurt in the years we thought we had the best chance was 2011 and 2018.

20 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, any ring now for Brees, however unlikely, will have come way after his prime when he's clearly inferior physically, and wouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

I disagree rings are what being the GOAT is all about. (But he could never catch up with Brady). But, there is another discussion he is consider top 3 in also and that is the Best of all Time.

The kill part about Brees is he has a higher regular season QBR and Post Season QBR than Tom Brady and is a better throwing every way. Brady is the only GOAT of all Sports who wasn't actually the best. (Weird because we know its all media driven)

My all time Best list would have  P.Manning as the clear number one. After that it gets a little fuzzy because it includes guys like Young, Montana, Farve, Rodgers, Moon, Brees, Brady and Marino.

Guys like Aikeman, Elway, Bradshaw don't even crack the top 15.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

They were never gonna beat Chicago at Chicago in 2006.  I don't know of any Saints fan really that expected to win that game.  The losses that really hurt in the years we thought we had the best chance was 2011 and 2018.

I think 2011 would have been interesting if they had gone all the way against the Pats. But not getting a BYE this year also hurt a lot I think. You also can't forget 2010 if they get past the Seahawks. But obviously 2017 as well I like them against Phily.

1 hour ago, MrnastiesNO said:

I disagree rings are what being the GOAT is all about. (But he could never catch up with Brady). But, there is another discussion he is consider top 3 in also and that is the Best of all Time.

The kill part about Brees is he has a higher regular season QBR and Post Season QBR than Tom Brady and is a better throwing every way. Brady is the only GOAT of all Sports who wasn't actually the best. (Weird because we know its all media driven)

My all time Best list would have  P.Manning as the clear number one. After that it gets a little fuzzy because it includes guys like Young, Montana, Farve, Rodgers, Moon, Brees, Brady and Marino.

Guys like Aikeman, Elway, Bradshaw don't even crack the top 15.

I put Brees clear ahead of Manning. The 5 MVPs don't fool me given how he got them in 3 of the seasons was very circumstantial. And he's a much bigger under-achiever than Brees in the playoffs statistically.

Right now it's Brady, Montana clear ahead as Top 2 and the fight for 3rd place should be Brees vs. Rodgers but right now for Super Bowl era.

21 minutes ago, x0x said:

I think 2011 would have been interesting if they had gone all the way against the Pats. But not getting a BYE this year also hurt a lot I think. You also can't forget 2010 if they get past the Seahawks. But obviously 2017 as well I like them against Phily.

I put Brees clear ahead of Manning. The 5 MVPs don't fool me given how he got them in 3 of the seasons was very circumstantial. And he's a much bigger under-achiever than Brees in the playoffs statistically.

Right now it's Brady, Montana clear ahead as Top 2 and the fight for 3rd place should be Brees vs. Rodgers but right now for Super Bowl era.

Brees is ahead of Manning. Eli Manning that is. 

In no way is he above Peyton and I’m not even a Peyton fan

• Like 4