Jump to content
x0x

What does Brees himself have to do?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

The dude would need 1-2 more superbowls to push for GOAT.

But Brady will always have the SB argument and honestly Brees is gonna do down as top 3 of his era but as the no.2-3 because of more established QBs like Manning, Manning, Brady, Rodgers etc. 

One of the reasons i think the Superbowls argument for QB is stupid is - what if the refs didn't screw New Orleans last year, 

Thats a decision that went against Brees that I do not remember going against Brady in any of his superbowl runs. And yet Drew has his best chance at a superbowl in a decade taken away from him through no fault of his own. Is it cos "Brady is so clutch" that that kind of thing happens to his opponents and not him. 

You then have a possible (though of course BB might have outcoached Pyeton anyway)  situation that Brady has 1 less and Brees 1 more. Now its still 5-2 for Brady, and everyone would still have Brady above Brees,  but its still a very different score than 6-1 and its all based on something that had absolutely nothing to do with Brady, Brees or even the teams in question. 

While Brady has outplayed Brees for most of his career IMO, last year Brees was clearly the better quarterback, yet if you just take the SB's argument it looks like Brady was the champion and Brees failed again. 

Similar situation with Rodgers and the onside kick in Seattle. Its not like Rodgers was the one who fumbled the onside kick when Packers had a 95% win. Its not like Brady was the one who caught it for Seattle, thereby eliminating what at that stage seemed like the superior NFC team for the superbowl. Yet if you just take the "QB's = Superbowls" route, it looks like again Rodgers failed again, only made one superbowl etc while  "Brady was Jordan", in a year when Rodgers was the MVP and if that play  went the other way Rodgers would possibly be QB of the decade instead of Brady. 

Edited by The Hitch
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Forge said:

Never change, NFL gen

I blame the Mods.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as what Brees can do? Beat Brady in a SB. Won't happen this year for either, but that's going to carry weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Bowl MVP is so underrated.  

Winning the Super Bowl is more about being on a great team than it is about the quarterback.  

But, if the QB actually wins Super Bowl MVP, he was literally the best and most important player on the team that won the Super Bowl.  

The fact that Drew Brees won that award in his lone Super Bowl appearance should be enough.

He shouldn't have to win another Super Bowl to prove his greatness.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever touch a football and has won a Super Bowl. There's nothing he has to do.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brees is a top 5 QB of all time. I have him firmly at 4 after Brady, Manning, and Rodgers. I know it may be presumed as recency bias but i really thinks those four in terms of talent+success are the easy top 4? Montana? I think he’s the only arguable one to be over any of those four, in fact I’ll go ahead and say those are the top 5

1.Brady

2.Manning

3. Rodgers

4.Brees

5. Montana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 3:23 AM, The Hitch said:

One of the reasons i think the Superbowls argument for QB is stupid is - what if the refs didn't screw New Orleans last year, 

Thats a decision that went against Brees that I do not remember going against Brady in any of his superbowl runs. And yet Drew has his best chance at a superbowl in a decade taken away from him through no fault of his own. Is it cos "Brady is so clutch" that that kind of thing happens to his opponents and not him. 

You then have a possible (though of course BB might have outcoached Pyeton anyway)  situation that Brady has 1 less and Brees 1 more. Now its still 5-2 for Brady, and everyone would still have Brady above Brees,  but its still a very different score than 6-1 and its all based on something that had absolutely nothing to do with Brady, Brees or even the teams in question. 

While Brady has outplayed Brees for most of his career IMO, last year Brees was clearly the better quarterback, yet if you just take the SB's argument it looks like Brady was the champion and Brees failed again. 

Similar situation with Rodgers and the onside kick in Seattle. Its not like Rodgers was the one who fumbled the onside kick when Packers had a 95% win. Its not like Brady was the one who caught it for Seattle, thereby eliminating what at that stage seemed like the superior NFC team for the superbowl. Yet if you just take the "QB's = Superbowls" route, it looks like again Rodgers failed again, only made one superbowl etc while  "Brady was Jordan", in a year when Rodgers was the MVP and if that play  went the other way Rodgers would possibly be QB of the decade instead of Brady. 

We can play this game all day and use the Tyree catch as an example for Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

We can play this game all day and use the Tyree catch as an example for Brady.

That proves my point. Brady was the best in 2007 yet that wasn't the year he won the superbowl. Superbowls as an argument for qbs is stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why there is this perceived notion out there that Brees is anything less than one of the best there has ever been. Period.

He still is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, The Hitch said:

That proves my point. Brady was the best in 2007 yet that wasn't the year he won the superbowl. Superbowls as an argument for qbs is stupid. 

not when you win 6 of them

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all four of them were highly productive, almost no one considered him to be as good as Manning, Brady, or Rodgers. You have like 75 years of combined experience between them. I don’t think anyone adding a new accomplishment to their Wikipedia page changes anything. And honestly if it wasn’t for the fact that Brees is the most likable of the four I don’t think it would even be a discussion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 4:23 AM, The Hitch said:

One of the reasons i think the Superbowls argument for QB is stupid is - what if the refs didn't screw New Orleans last year, 

Thats a decision that went against Brees that I do not remember going against Brady in any of his superbowl runs. And yet Drew has his best chance at a superbowl in a decade taken away from him through no fault of his own. Is it cos "Brady is so clutch" that that kind of thing happens to his opponents and not him. 

You then have a possible (though of course BB might have outcoached Pyeton anyway)  situation that Brady has 1 less and Brees 1 more. Now its still 5-2 for Brady, and everyone would still have Brady above Brees,  but its still a very different score than 6-1 and its all based on something that had absolutely nothing to do with Brady, Brees or even the teams in question. 

While Brady has outplayed Brees for most of his career IMO, last year Brees was clearly the better quarterback, yet if you just take the SB's argument it looks like Brady was the champion and Brees failed again. 

Similar situation with Rodgers and the onside kick in Seattle. Its not like Rodgers was the one who fumbled the onside kick when Packers had a 95% win. Its not like Brady was the one who caught it for Seattle, thereby eliminating what at that stage seemed like the superior NFC team for the superbowl. Yet if you just take the "QB's = Superbowls" route, it looks like again Rodgers failed again, only made one superbowl etc while  "Brady was Jordan", in a year when Rodgers was the MVP and if that play  went the other way Rodgers would possibly be QB of the decade instead of Brady. 

The reality is sport is about winning. It really is that simply. All the stats are typically for contract negotiations, merchandise and fantasy/betting. Yes football is more a team sport than basketball and there are bigger separations (offense vs. defense) but the QB does have a lot of leverage for his team. Yes, context cannot be ignored, which is why Bradshaw with 4 Super Bowls isn't really argued against a guy like Elway who has 2.

Tom Brady has 6 Super Bowl titles with 9 Appearances. He is so far ahead of the field it's generally impossible to win that argument. His MVPs help. There is no Brady vs. Rogers debate (really) because Brady has 1 more MVP to go with 6 times the rings. Honestly if news media didn't have to constantly portray a narrative to generate interest, nobody would ever talk about another QB challenging Brady unless they gt to 4 rings. Truth.

9 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

When all four of them were highly productive, almost no one considered him to be as good as Manning, Brady, or Rodgers. You have like 75 years of combined experience between them. I don’t think anyone adding a new accomplishment to their Wikipedia page changes anything. And honestly if it wasn’t for the fact that Brees is the most likable of the four I don’t think it would even be a discussion 

Here's my issue with the whole Brees vs. Manning argument. People would always bring up the numbers for Manning and how he didn't play defense in the playoffs and his main receiver (Harrison) would fail him. Brees has better numbers. In regular season and playoffs. So why exactly is Manning ahead? Cause of 5 MVPs? One could legitimately argue 2004 & 2013 support cast for Manning offensively is ludicrous and way above anything Brady or Brees had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manning is ahead in my eyes because he was just as good but he had a better arm than Brees in his Prime. Both are two Qb's that I felt would do better on the Patriots team than Brady. (Due to there skill sets.)  There game is completely different they were asked to go get the win while Brady just had to trust his defense.  I would just Manning just because he had better physical tools .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...