What does Brees himself have to do?

x0x

On 1/9/2020 at 4:23 AM, The Hitch said:

One of the reasons i think the Superbowls argument for QB is stupid is - what if the refs didn't screw New Orleans last year, 

Not disagreeing with your overall point that the “kiss the ring” argument shouldn’t hold as much water as it does, but Brees has a chance to win that game in OT but threw an interception.

2 hours ago, x0x said:

The reality is sport is about winning. It really is that simply. All the stats are typically for contract negotiations, merchandise and fantasy/betting. Yes football is more a team sport than basketball and there are bigger separations (offense vs. defense) but the QB does have a lot of leverage for his team. Yes, context cannot be ignored, which is why Bradshaw with 4 Super Bowls isn't really argued against a guy like Elway who has 2.

Tom Brady has 6 Super Bowl titles with 9 Appearances. He is so far ahead of the field it's generally impossible to win that argument. His MVPs help. There is no Brady vs. Rogers debate (really) because Brady has 1 more MVP to go with 6 times the rings. Honestly if news media didn't have to constantly portray a narrative to generate interest, nobody would ever talk about another QB challenging Brady unless they gt to 4 rings. Truth.

Here's my issue with the whole Brees vs. Manning argument. People would always bring up the numbers for Manning and how he didn't play defense in the playoffs and his main receiver (Harrison) would fail him. Brees has better numbers. In regular season and playoffs. So why exactly is Manning ahead? Cause of 5 MVPs? One could legitimately argue 2004 & 2013 support cast for Manning offensively is ludicrous and way above anything Brady or Brees had.

5 MVPs to Brees none isn't argument enough? Brees also wasn't the same player before he was on the Saints. He was a pro-bowler with Chargers but not who he is now. Peyton on the otherhand went to Denver and won a MVP and if weren't for the most dominant defense of the decade in Seattle he'd have won another SB.

16 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Not disagreeing with your overall point that the “kiss the ring” argument shouldn’t hold as much water as it does, but Brees has a chance to win that game in OT but threw an interception.

I think the Beastquake, Vernon Davis, and Minneapolis miracle are all worse WTF losses for Brees.  The non call was bad, but yes we still could have won the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I think the Beastquake, Vernon Davis, and Minneapolis miracle are all worse WTF losses for Brees.  The non call was bad, but yes we still could have won the game.

Yeah, I imagine so. Brees has some bad post-season luck, sort of a tough fix. New Orleans seems to routinely be a dangerous team that most would consider amongst the top in the league, and then continue to get bumped in jonky ways. 

10 minutes ago, Classic said:

5 MVPs to Brees none isn't argument enough? Brees also wasn't the same player before he was on the Saints. He was a pro-bowler with Chargers but not who he is now. Peyton on the otherhand went to Denver and won a MVP and if weren't for the most dominant defense of the decade in Seattle he'd have won another SB.

Not exactly a fair comparison because Peyton was in veteran form in Denver, while Brees didn't even hit his prime until 3rd or fourth year in New Orleans.  It also took Peyton several years to hit his prime.  Neither QB were hot right out of the gate.  In Brees case it's obvious why.  He doesn't have elite physical traits and he needed the practice and the experience.

But I agree, Peyton still wins this.  5 MVPs to none can't be ignored.  Peyton in his prime was the most dominant regular season QB we've seen. 

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

But I agree, Peyton still wins this.  5 MVPs to none can't be ignored.  Peyton in his prime was the most dominant regular season QB we've seen. 

All very true, Jlowe. But one must remember, he played in a dome. Look at his stats outside the dome in cold weather. Quick example:

The pear Peyton broke Marion's record for TD's in a season (49) he came to chilly Gillette (Pats) in January for the division round game of the playoffs. He got THREE points. He never got the ball into the red zone, let alone the end zone. Just a bad day...? food for thought