Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mwalker

Way too Early Mocks...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Three to choose from. 
I'm assuming we resign Dupree, let R.Foster and V.McDonald go. And we lose J.Hargrave.

 

RD2 - DT N.Gallimore
RD3 - OG B.Bredeson
RD4 - TE A.Okwuegbunam
RD4 - CB D.Holmes
RD6 - S K.Dugger
RD7 - WR L.Bowden

 

RD2 - OT/G M.Becton
RD3 - DL J.Elliott
RD4 - S A.Winfield II
RD4 - TE C.Parkinson
RD6 - CB T.Graham
RD7 - WR/RB A.Gibson

 

RD2 - QB J.Fromm
RD3 - DL R.Lawrence 
RD4 - OG J.Simpson
RD4 - WR D.Mims
RD6 - TE H.Bryant (FAU)
RD7 - S J.Chinn

Edited by mwalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be seriously surprised if Becton is there in round 2.  That is a prime LT and they do not last long.  i would be surprised if he makes it out of the 1st round but an outstanding choice in round 2.  It is just a pipe dream that he would be there.

Elliot is a pure pass rusher.  Zero help in a run game.  Really does not fit a 3-4 allignment

Winfield is a playmaker and could drop becasue of his speed.  Would be a good pick in the 4th but I would be surprised if he fell that far.

Parkinson is your big WR that you want to play like a TE.  Not a good blocker.

Graham's position in the NFL is probably safety.

 

Gallimore is a great fit for the Steelers replacing Hargraves.  A 1 tech that will be a disruptive NT.  Better fit for a 4-3 NT but...

Bredson is not bad.  Just a bad IOL draft class so far

Okwuegbunam  is a project.  I have not seen any improvement from him from his 1st year.  Might be better with the 2nd 4th or even in the 5th.

Darnay Holmes is a nickle CB.  I like him for his speed.  Best in Off man.  would be a good pick in the 4th.

Lynn Bowden is a good pick in the 7th.  Would be a return man and you would hope he learns to run routes.

 

 

I would not touch Fromm.  Just no

R.Lawrence is a project.  He needs a year to learn technique and to get stronger.  Not a 2 gap player now.  Much better as a 3 tech.

Mims is a decent deep threat but needs a bunch of work with his hands and routes.

H.Bryant is a pure WR.  He was never asked to block and was used as a slot receiver his entire career.

The 7th round is a great place for Chinn.  He needs a lot of technique work but 6'3 safeties do not grow on trees.

 

 

Overall I would take the 2nd draft as it has less problems.  But the 1st with Becton would be very good without Elliot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First three picks should be RB, TE, and S in whatever order you think is best. I can see a need to get a really good OL prospect as well, but I also see it as less of a priority.

I really like Okwuegbunam (TE from Missouri), but I seriously doubt he makes it to the 3rd round, never mind the 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't imagine taking a DT with the 1st pick.  That would be a huge disappointment.  With that said, clearly a NT is needed with the pending loss of Hargraves.  I personally don't mind Elliott.  We aren't using the 3-4 NT in the "Classic" way anymore.  I think he'd be about as good as Hargraves in that Dept.  An interesting late Rd name is Ole Miss NT Benito Jones.  He needs to be coached up but he checks all the boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jebrick said:

I would be seriously surprised if Becton is there in round 2.  That is a prime LT and they do not last long.  i would be surprised if he makes it out of the 1st round but an outstanding choice in round 2.  It is just a pipe dream that he would be there.

Elliot is a pure pass rusher.  Zero help in a run game.  Really does not fit a 3-4 allignment

Winfield is a playmaker and could drop becasue of his speed.  Would be a good pick in the 4th but I would be surprised if he fell that far.

Parkinson is your big WR that you want to play like a TE.  Not a good blocker.

Graham's position in the NFL is probably safety.

 

Gallimore is a great fit for the Steelers replacing Hargraves.  A 1 tech that will be a disruptive NT.  Better fit for a 4-3 NT but...

Bredson is not bad.  Just a bad IOL draft class so far

Okwuegbunam  is a project.  I have not seen any improvement from him from his 1st year.  Might be better with the 2nd 4th or even in the 5th.

Darnay Holmes is a nickle CB.  I like him for his speed.  Best in Off man.  would be a good pick in the 4th.

Lynn Bowden is a good pick in the 7th.  Would be a return man and you would hope he learns to run routes.

 

 

I would not touch Fromm.  Just no

R.Lawrence is a project.  He needs a year to learn technique and to get stronger.  Not a 2 gap player now.  Much better as a 3 tech.

Mims is a decent deep threat but needs a bunch of work with his hands and routes.

H.Bryant is a pure WR.  He was never asked to block and was used as a slot receiver his entire career.

The 7th round is a great place for Chinn.  He needs a lot of technique work but 6'3 safeties do not grow on trees.

 

 

Overall I would take the 2nd draft as it has less problems.  But the 1st with Becton would be very good without Elliot.

Good to hear your thoughts. Yea, Becton is likely gone RD 1 or early 2 now.
Couple of your notes, I'm not sure about - Elliott not being able to play nose or Lawrence as a project.
I agree Benito Jones could be interesting and agree Gallimore could also be really good for us.
After the first 5-6 CBs, there's a big drop off (in my knowledge and I think level).
I like both Chinn and Dugger - small school safeties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cjfollett said:

First three picks should be RB, TE, and S in whatever order you think is best. I can see a need to get a really good OL prospect as well, but I also see it as less of a priority.

I really like Okwuegbunam (TE from Missouri), but I seriously doubt he makes it to the 3rd round, never mind the 4th.

Hmm. Dunno. RB is a wild card for me.
I just can't see them drafting one early, but could be wrong.
If so, I'd sure hope it's Dobbins.

I really like late round, small school safeties, J.Chinn and K.Dugger.
I love Delpit and McKinney, but other than them (early picks), who do you like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mwalker said:

Good to hear your thoughts. Yea, Becton is likely gone RD 1 or early 2 now.
Couple of your notes, I'm not sure about - Elliott not being able to play nose or Lawrence as a project.
I agree Benito Jones could be interesting and agree Gallimore could also be really good for us.
After the first 5-6 CBs, there's a big drop off (in my knowledge and I think level).
I like both Chinn and Dugger - small school safeties. 

Elliot gives his all on pass rushes but seems not to be able to hold the LOS.  He has potential.  He will just be a wave pass rusher as a rookie.  I would not ask him to play a 2 gap as a rookie.

Lawrence  is all athletic ability.  He lacks technique.  They have played him as a 5 and a 0 and sometimes a shaded 1.  If asked to attack a single gap he does well.  Odd as LSU is one college that asks it's DL to play 2 gap at times that he is not very good at it.  He is not an anchor.  Again this is training.  He he could learn to play low he would be much better.  He he could learn some hand techniques and be able to find the ball better without standing up.  Thus a project.

Both of these players do not have the height to play 5 tech.  so they must be inside.  Tomlin has recently said that a NT is like  blockbuster video which is true for a 3-4 in this day and age.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mwalker said:

Hmm. Dunno. RB is a wild card for me.
I just can't see them drafting one early, but could be wrong.
If so, I'd sure hope it's Dobbins.

I really like late round, small school safeties, J.Chinn and K.Dugger.
I love Delpit and McKinney, but other than them (early picks), who do you like?

It's early for me yet, so I am more looking at positions of need than specific players. To me RB has to be a focus. Snell should be better next year, but I don't think he'll be the feature back the Steelers need. Conner is a nice story, but he cannot stay healthy. Other than that, you have what, practice squad/UDFA guys? I just don't see how RB is not their 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. Other than Dobbins, I like Moss from Utah and Taylor from Wisconsin. Someone to look at for a potential 3rd round comp pick would be Perine from Florida. 

As for S, there are a few guys I've watched a bit. Wade from Ohio St. and Davis from Cal might be guys to look at. The Steelers lost Sean Davis, so it'll be interesting to see if they consider him as part of their plans for 2020. I know Edmunds has gotten a lot of playng time and praise, but I hope to God behind the scenes they see the need to replace him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjfollett said:

but I hope to God behind the scenes they see the need to replace him.

That seems counterproductive. Edmunds is just fine. He's progressing. He's very athletic, he's a good leader. Give him time before we devote resources into upgrading him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not the biggest fan of Edmunds but he’s only 22 and was a known project coming out of draft.

Id say he was average this past year...2020 will be his make or break year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That seems counterproductive. Edmunds is just fine. He's progressing. He's very athletic, he's a good leader. Give him time before we devote resources into upgrading him. 

I have said this for two years now... the next splash play Edmunds makes will be his first. I think it is time to admit they drafted a 3rd round talent in the 1st round, and he is in fact a 3rd round talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jebrick said:

Elliot gives his all on pass rushes but seems not to be able to hold the LOS.  He has potential.  He will just be a wave pass rusher as a rookie.  I would not ask him to play a 2 gap as a rookie.

Lawrence  is all athletic ability.  He lacks technique.  They have played him as a 5 and a 0 and sometimes a shaded 1.  If asked to attack a single gap he does well.  Odd as LSU is one college that asks it's DL to play 2 gap at times that he is not very good at it.  He is not an anchor.  Again this is training.  He he could learn to play low he would be much better.  He he could learn some hand techniques and be able to find the ball better without standing up.  Thus a project.

Both of these players do not have the height to play 5 tech.  so they must be inside.  Tomlin has recently said that a NT is like  blockbuster video which is true for a 3-4 in this day and age.

 

Fair points all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cjfollett said:

It's early for me yet, so I am more looking at positions of need than specific players. To me RB has to be a focus. Snell should be better next year, but I don't think he'll be the feature back the Steelers need. Conner is a nice story, but he cannot stay healthy. Other than that, you have what, practice squad/UDFA guys? I just don't see how RB is not their 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. Other than Dobbins, I like Moss from Utah and Taylor from Wisconsin. Someone to look at for a potential 3rd round comp pick would be Perine from Florida. 

As for S, there are a few guys I've watched a bit. Wade from Ohio St. and Davis from Cal might be guys to look at. The Steelers lost Sean Davis, so it'll be interesting to see if they consider him as part of their plans for 2020. I know Edmunds has gotten a lot of playng time and praise, but I hope to God behind the scenes they see the need to replace him.

I love Wade, but he's staying in school apparently. What would the description be for the 
right fit next to Fitz to you? McKinney would be amazing, I think, if he fell to 2, which is unlikely.
An under rated player for me (other than the small school dudes I mentioned, Duggers and Chinn)
is Blackmon from Wash State. Curious about VTech S R.Floyd and AL S S.Carter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cjfollett said:

I have said this for two years now... the next splash play Edmunds makes will be his first. I think it is time to admit they drafted a 3rd round talent in the 1st round, and he is in fact a 3rd round talent.

Does this alone make him terrible?  This means he's not a Starter in the League?  I'm not biggest fan of Edmunds either but CURRENTLY his draft position has nothing to do with his play.  He isn't great.  He isn't terrible.  He is 22.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mwalker said:

I love Wade, but he's staying in school apparently. What would the description be for the 
right fit next to Fitz to you? McKinney would be amazing, I think, if he fell to 2, which is unlikely.
An under rated player for me (other than the small school dudes I mentioned, Duggers and Chinn)
is Blackmon from Wash State. Curious about VTech S R.Floyd and AL S S.Carter.

Only because I have to...I'll throw in Vols Safety Nigel Warrior. A late Rd guy and not a Day 1 contributor but has the traits/skills to be a key contributor.  I like Dugger.  Not sure if he's "Big fish. Small pond" type of guy but I'd surely wager a late Rd pick to find out. 

Edited by Chieferific

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×