Matchup vs Seattle

Kenrik

42 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It does seem like he has had his share of struggles against us in a few other games and got kind of hot late and pulled off some win.  We just need to play a full four quarters ... all gas no break.  No Morgan Burnett slide downs when it looks like he has a clear path to the end zone.  

I cant wait to see what 4 quarters of good football will look like. I feel like most of the match-ups favor GB except Russ. This year Seattle has literally played to their competition. We have yet to lose a game this year that we led at any point in the 4th quarter. 

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Seattle's 2 RBs, just out of retirement Marshawn Lynch and 4th string rookie Travis Homer, rushed for 19 yards on 17 carries behind a banged up OL against Philly.

With Duane Brown out at LT, George Fant had to start and thus Seattle could not use a favored look of 6 Olineman (Fant being the 6th guy) to pound it on the ground.

Both Fant and Brown missed yesterday's game as did starting LG Iupati and staring C Hunt.

As weak as the Pack's run D has been, Seattle's running game should not exploit this weakness too much given all of their injuries.

On D, this game should be all about containing Russell Wilson, through the air and with his legs (he ran 9 times for 45 yards against Philly).

Except we said that about Detroit and look what happened. Don't think Seattle won't have a chip on their shoulder after one of the best DL's in the league shut down their run game. Except them to run to set up the pass...

58 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Seattle's 2 RBs, just out of retirement Marshawn Lynch and 4th string rookie Travis Homer, rushed for 19 yards on 17 carries behind a banged up OL against Philly.

With Duane Brown out at LT, George Fant had to start and thus Seattle could not use a favored look of 6 Olineman (Fant being the 6th guy) to pound it on the ground.

Both Fant and Brown missed yesterday's game as did starting LG Iupati and staring C Hunt.

As weak as the Pack's run D has been, Seattle's running game should not exploit this weakness too much given all of their injuries.

On D, this game should be all about containing Russell Wilson, through the air and with his legs (he ran 9 times for 45 yards against Philly).

This is a good point. I doubt they use that extra OT due to injuries. Philly has the 7th lowest rush yards per attempt against their defense so they are stout. Cox destroyed Hunt most of that game. Really hoping Smith and Clark can do the same.

I think Seattle is going to try to throw it a lot. If we dominate Seattle's OL then we should be able to limit Russ's time to throw and their running game. Rodgers had the 6th most time to throw during the season and Wilson had the 12th most time to throw. 

2 hours ago, soup's not a meal said:

Are we guna put King or Alexander on Metcalf when we aren't playing zone? 

King with likely savage over the top. They likely like his size on Metcalf. And you let Alexander lock down Lockett.

Although I wouldn’t be surprise if the just stay to their side and not match up specifically. More so early on.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

I cant wait to see what 4 quarters of good football will look like. I feel like most of the match-ups favor GB except Russ. This year Seattle has literally played to their competition. We have yet to lose a game this year that we led at any point in the 4th quarter. 

There's always a first for these things. I still think the way we win this game is by controlling the clock on offense. Fortunately, their DL seems to be a bit banged up and if Clowney AND Ziggy are both limited with Jefferson out, we should be able to find success with the run off LT in particular. 

8 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

This is a good point. I doubt they use that extra OT due to injuries. Philly has the 7th lowest rush yards per attempt against their defense so they are stout. Cox destroyed Hunt most of that game. Really hoping Smith and Clark can do the same.

I think Seattle is going to try to throw it a lot. If we dominate Seattle's OL then we should be able to limit Russ's time to throw and their running game. Rodgers had the 6th most time to throw during the season and Wilson had the 12th most time to throw. 

This...

The only caveat is that they can knock this defense on their heels with a hurry-up offense which Carroll will probably run given the personnel he has at his disposal. Pettine needs to apply heavy pressure to the left side of that OL where everyone is hurt and shift Clark over to outmatch Ifedi and Fluker given that Seattle will most likely run towards B gap on that side. I suspect you'll see a ton of quick snap handoffs to Lynch in order to set up 5-step and 7-step drops for Russ to chuck it deep to Metcalf and/or Lockett.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

With the shape Seattle is in this is a game Green Bay should win leaving no doubt.   Should, win.  Rodgers can play mellow yellow and we should still win.  If he plays really well we will win. I'm not holding my breath...

Travel for Seattle might be an issue, winter storm coming in Saturday and lasting until Sunday morning. Maybe they fly in tomorrow now? 

Should only add to the crowd mystique, doubt there's snow by kickoff but there's going to be big piles of snow all over the sidelines from the field and stands shoveling. Going to look like frozen tundra out there.

The way to win this game is to dink dunk pass, and run the ball. Control the time of possession and score TDs. Keep Wilson and Baby Megatron on the sidelines. Wilson is the wildcard. He can scramble to buy time and then hit a long pass or take off and get a big gain with his legs. Control Wilson by keeping on the sidelines and limiting his scrambling, and we win.

P.S. Glad to see a thread about the game, instead of lame middle school jokes about Wilson, who is an excellent QB and worthy opponent. He will be hard to beat.

• Like 1

Seattle is good, and our Wednesday injury list was longer than theirs.  The notes about the o-line and the running backs are well taken.  Would be great to really contain their running game, and push to a lot of 3rd-downs.  Wilson is really elusive and is an excellent passer, and they've got deep-ball big-play capacity.  We're not going to stop them every time.  Part of me is almost a little nervous about their lack-of-running:  *IF* they are really throwing a ton, I'm not sure our secondary is going to stop them consistently.  Think it could get frustrating if they are passing mode, and end up both completing passes, having Wilson escape and make first downs, and they make some deep throws.  On the other hand, *IF* they are throwing a ton, I guess a hope is that we convert an interception or two, or three....

We've won hardly any games without a turnover advantage; hope we have one on Sunday.  

Much talk about Wilson and our defense and stuff.  But it's really critical that our offense can produce, and can score some TD's.  Plural.  Hard to dink-and-dunk and ball-control it all the way for 7 very often... going to need some big plays on offense.  Hopefully Rodgers has a relatively decent accuracy day.  Want to score some points so that a couple of deep balls or Wilson escapes or ST tricks aren't enough to turn the game.