Raiders to re-sign G Denzelle Good (One-year deal)

RaidersAreOne

There was talk about this in another thread but now that it's soon to be official according to Vic, I think it's worthy of it's own thread.

I for one was super impressed with Good when he came in for those 5 games. He only allowed one sack over 338 offensive snaps apparently. I wouldn't say no to trading Gabe and recouping a mid round pick while saving a good chunk of change.

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 5

Any idea how much he signed for?  What’s everyone guessing?

I’ll guess $3.5 million and would be happy up to $4.5 million.  If it’s higher than that I think Gabe Jackson is to be cut at some point during free agency or traded before camp.  While this doesn’t guarantee Gabe’s fate I think it’ll be very telling.

I think Good resigning early shows he’s dedicated to being a Raider.  He didn’t try the “let’s see what other teams offer in free agency move”.  

Also, I really like how Mayock is resigning guys early.  Besides being self serving because resigning a player now reduces the chances of paying more for him in free Agency when other teams can bid the price up, it also makes me feel like Mayock is building a culture of loyalty and respect.  I know this is a business first, but being a straight shooter, word is my bond type of guy goes a long ways in business and life.  If our players, whose play deserves resigning, feel appreciated and taken care of and they feel our team and team culture is on the rise then richer pastures won’t always seem greener.   
im not sure If I’m articulating this correctly but basically I feel like Mayock is building a solid culture for our organization.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

There was talk about this in another thread but now that it's soon to be official according to Vic, I think it's worthy of it's own thread.

I for one was super impressed with Good when he came in for those 5 games. He only allowed one sack over 338 offensive snaps apparently. I wouldn't say no to trading Gabe and recouping a mid round pick while saving a good chunk of change.

Personally, I think gabe came back too early and was banged up. I'd keep gabe, but if we get a tempting draft day trade, I wouldn't say no.

IMO it's better to have Good as a backup. If a guard goes down, you know he can step in without missing a beat. And in 2 years, when Incognito may retire, he can take over as a full time starter.

• Like 3

Money will be telling...

The one year deal could mean prove it deal as a starter, but that could also mean he didn't wanted to sign as a depth guy for more...

Then again if I think about it...why would he sign a deal to stick as back up before the FA period...why not test the market and come back after there is no starter offer out there...

With that said it might be the prove it starter deal, so Gabe could be on the trading block like KO last year...

Very very nice signing! Mayock is the man!  I’d was shooting for $3.5M, would have happy with $4.5M, and even if he got $5-6M to be the starter I wouldn’t have been upset knowing that in free agency prices go up, especially when teams have lots of cap space and the overall deficiency of OL talent league wide.

I read that Good lost his brother when on the Colts and the OL coach basically told him in some nasty words you’ll never play for me again, which resulted in him asking for his release, which was granted.  Good spoke out about it but thanked the Colts and went out of his way to thank the organization and set the public record straight.  We picked him up a few days later.  I just have a hunch that the guys grateful for how the Raidets’s organization has treated him and he took a discount to be here next year.  Worley talked about how grateful he was to Gruden for taking a chance on him at his lowest point (after the dui incident in Philadelphia) and how he wants to do good to repay it back.  
My biggest beef with Gruden (huge supporter overall) is that he was coming off as two faced and not genuine with players.  But lately he’s shown the exact opposite.  Even with AB it seemed like he genuinely cared and was keeping it totally real.  I hope the organization continues to build like this.  It’s a cut throat business but with certain players/people if you show True loyalty to it pays off ten fold in the end.  When you bring players in for FA  visits and their told positive things by current and ex Raiders players that goes a long way to signing deals when the numbers are close with other offers.

Where are you reading about the playing time incentives?

id tent to believe they won’t count against the cap as likely to be achieved bonuses.  He had 338 snaps in ‘19 , out of I believe 1019 offensive snaps.  That’s 33%.  I’m going to guess he’ll need 50-80% of the snaps to get the million bonus.

Where does this leave Jackson?  That 9.6m is a lot for a guy who’s underperforming and missed 3 and then 5 games the last two years.  We have 3 3rd round picks (IMO the sweet spot for guard talent in the draft) with a several good prospects projected in that area this year.  With Good resigned do we cut Jackson and draft a guard to compete for LG?  Then also Bring back Devey on a cheap one year deal?  
While we currently have 60m post Good resigning, that isn’t a ton of money.  The draft choices are going to cost us just over  $10M.  That leaves $50 million.  If we spend $12-20 resigning our free agents that’s only $30-38M left.  But we’ll likely want to keep $10M give or take to roll over or use in case of a trade before deadline.  Assuming we get back 5M in cap from the players cut at the deadline, it’s now $25-33M to spend in FA besides our own.  That’s only 1 top free agent and 2 mid level guys.  The days of dreaming of Corey Littleton, Arik Armstead, AND Anthony Harris are over.  That’s 45-50m for just the 3!  That extra 9.6M could come in handy!  On the other side we don’t know how hurt Jackson was when he returned. the coaches know more than us, obviously.  Possibly they might feel that keeping continuity is important and Jackson’s bad plays,,,, it’s not like he had a ton of bad plays he had a few then resulted in sacks,,, was mostly due to playing hurt and that he’ll be healthy in 2020 and worth keeping.

personally, I’d like to “restructure” Jackson’s deal.  Move the 9.6M down to 6-7M but guarantee it all.  I’m leaning towards wanting him back but only if he’d take a paycut in exchange for guaranteed money.  Or extend his contact 2-3 years that’s favorable to us and saves cap space in 2020.  If not cut or trade him and Draft a replacement to go along with Good.

Edited by jimkelly02