Cardinals Trade Jose Martinez to Rays for Matt Liberatore

ramssuperbowl99

So @ramssuperbowl99 and @hrubes20, this is a clear win for the Cardinals right?  Jose Martinez is a DH-only type given his struggles on the defensive side of the ball.  He's probably a ~2.5-3 WAR player as a full-time DH.  I'm not nearly as high on Arozarena as some are, but he's the more talented of the two OF the Cardinals dealt.  The difference between the 38th and 66th picks last year was ~950k, so with overages you're looking at just under an extra $1M to spend.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So @ramssuperbowl99 and @hrubes20, this is a clear win for the Cardinals right?  Jose Martinez is a DH-only type given his struggles on the defensive side of the ball.  He's probably a ~2.5-3 WAR player as a full-time DH.  I'm not nearly as high on Arozarena as some are, but he's the more talented of the two OF the Cardinals dealt.  The difference between the 38th and 66th picks last year was ~950k, so with overages you're looking at just under an extra $1M to spend.

Dont know how anyone can even assume that for a few years. Liberatore is a high school pitcher. Baseball is littered with talented high school pitchers who never became anything. Or ended up being no name relievers.

I find this move interesting from the Cards, as they are expected to compete this season. Seems like they would have been looking for pitching or even packaging Martinez with Fowler to dump that salary and free up payroll for free agency.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Dont know how anyone can even assume that for a few years. Liberatore is a high school pitcher. Baseball is littered with talented high school pitchers who never became anything. Or ended up being no name relievers.

I find this move interesting from the Cards, as they are expected to compete this season. Seems like they would have been looking for pitching or even packaging Martinez with Fowler to dump that salary and free up payroll for free agency.

I'd rather gamble that Liberatore turns into something.  Jose Martinez is a DH-only type, and the Cardinals are in the NL.  He was better at 1B than OF, but the Cardinals clearly have Paul Goldschmidt there.  This was about clearing the gut of OFers the Cardinals had.  Right now, the Cardinals are likely lining up Tyler O'Neill in LF, Harrison Bader in CF, and Dexter Fowler in RF.  Dylan Carlson probably starts the off in Memphis, and if all goes according to plan he moves up to St. Louis once he clears Super 2 status.