Free Agent Tracker: News and Notes

.Buzz

10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

It's interesting to think about with Gruden as OC now.  Cam as we knew him, doesn't really fit that mold for the typical QB he likes at all.  But we're talking about a Cam Newton that is probably going to be a)less mobile and less able to rely on that, and b)more experienced and hopefully more nuanced than "prime Cam".  Which starts to fall more in line with the sort of thing Gruden has found success with.  Still obviously not the savvy noodle-arm guy typically associated with his coaching, but i don't think it'd be that big of a stretch to make it work, and that functional mobility has always been a part of what Jay Gruden has had success with, and leaned toward in preference.

The classic "pocket statue" isn't really Grudens guy.  But obviously if Cam doesn't have that functional mobility anymore...it's not going to work, no matter who the HC/OC are.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Is there anyone who wouldn't prefer Andy Dalton over Jameis Winston?  Like...actually?  And if so...why on earth?

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

That account said we reached out to Eric Reid's agent (although I think he'd start here...even though I'm not sure how that'd work as he's more of an in the box guy and I'm not sure Ronnie is best at FS).

Reid at S would be interesting.  But like you're suggesting...it'd be a bit of a weird fit.  It's another one of those situations where we'd have to expect some flexibility from coaching, and that hasn't always exactly been a strength.

I don't think Reid is that pure Box Safety only guy.  He's got more athletic ability and range than that.  But it'd definitely have to be skewed that way.  Ronnie coming out of Bama has experience in that sort of rotating/mixed safety role, which is a positive.  But it still feels like what we really need...is an upgrade at true rangy FS.  Back to the sort of level Gipson gave us, and i still hate that they found a great fit and then cut him to save a few promptly wasted cap dollars.

It's not a "sexy" position to spend money on...but when you land a good one, it just brings your whole defense together.  Gets really underrated as a causal factor when your defense starts to leak like crazy.  Hate the idea that you can just plug any ol' DB in back there and assume they'll have the instincts to execute properly, speed and range to get there on time, ball skills to break things up and generate turnovers...and tackling to be that reliable last line of defense.  It's one of those, "easy to learn, extremely difficult to master" sort of jobs.  One of those spots i'd rather have that proven vet at a bit of an "overpay"...rather than just throwing **** at the wall with unproven fringe players or rookie draft picks, expecting them to step right in and handle all of that responsibility.  Especially in a system like this, where there are tough reads and decisions to be made every snap and hesitation kills.

On 24/03/2020 at 9:40 PM, .Buzz said:

I missed this before.  Gio Bernard would be a nifty pickup.  Would bring a really different sort of counterpunch to what Fournette (and Armstead) does.  I'd be into that sort of signing to be that receiving threat/3rd down sort of back.  Seemed to still at least have a bit of tread on the tires from what i saw.

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

it would be a good move to sign Ladrian Waddle to be our swing tackle.   1) hes a classy dude. 2) unless we are moving Richardson to tackle i dont like the depth there. 

He's also got a sweet name, for a lineman.  So that's a bonus.

So apparently Aldon Smith has applied for reinstatement. Rumor is he is clean and training hard to get back in the league.

Could be a guy to keep an eye on as Trent Baalke was the guy who drafted him and Dave has tried to sign him in the past.

This of course is if he is reinstated, clean, and in shape. Could be a low-risk, high-reward signing especially with Ngakoue’s situation in doubt.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

So apparently Aldon Smith has applied for reinstatement. Rumor is he is clean and training hard to get back in the league.

Could be a guy to keep an eye on as Trent Baalke was the guy who drafted him and Dave has tried to sign him in the past.

This of course is if he is reinstated, clean, and in shape. Could be a low-risk, high-reward signing especially with Ngakoue’s situation in doubt.

Yeah, I mean I'm not against kicking the tires but I don't know that he's someone that you can count on being anything more than a flier. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I mean I'm not against kicking the tires but I don't know that he's someone that you can count on being anything more than a flier. 

It's one of those things i think you'd have to approach from the perspective of...assume he's not going to be anything.  Sign him if he is reinstated...but continue to expect absolutely nothing.  Be pleasantly surprised if he actually ends up offering...anything at all.

Basically sign him as a fringe depth guy, and see if he can crack the roster.

8 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I was looking at our cap space merely as a curiosity and see we have 33M in dead space. How is Telvin Smith costing us 5.6M in dead cap?

Our Cap Wizards did bad dark magics on us.  So we are now haunted by the specter of Telvin's ragequit.