Free Agent Tracker: News and Notes

.Buzz

38 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  There looks like some depth to the TE draft class.  Guys with potential down the line.  Just nobody who is going to come in and make a difference year 1 for us.  Where we desperately need an impact TE.

Ebron scares the crap out of me because he's been complete garbage outside of one little hot stint where he found some chemistry or something.  And Henry scares me because he doesn't even really play, so much as get injured and collect paycheques.  And Hooper is basically a byproduct of a team that has a cornucopia of weapons around him, where he's almost the least concerning among them.  It's just a super sketchy TE situation, and not a year i'd want to be searching for a solution anywhere.  But here we are...

I don't think Henry or Ebron is going to cost what Hooper does/length of the contract.

Both worry me too, but Minshew needs a TE badly. JOS was solid and Oliver has a chance, but can't count on them or a rookie.

On 04/03/2020 at 4:18 PM, .Buzz said:

I don't think Henry or Ebron is going to cost what Hooper does/length of the contract.

Both worry me too, but Minshew needs a TE badly. JOS was solid and Oliver has a chance, but can't count on them or a rookie.

Yeah.  It needs to be addressed.  You can't just do nothing, or count on what you've got.  It's just...probably going to go badly.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Fwiw

Is that hinting that he knows something?  Or is it just jokes, based on those times we "won" Free Agency, only to get everyone excited just in time to hit the field and have a whole bunch of Free Agent busts?

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It needs to be addressed.  You can't just do nothing, or count on what you've got.  It's just...probably going to go badly.

Truthfully, if any of those end up signing and they give Minshew/future QB a solid security blanket and solid at the position, it'd be a W no matter what happens.

Minshew looked so much better when JOS was in compared to DeValve and co.

Just now, Tugboat said:

Is that hinting that he knows something?  Or is it just jokes, based on those times we "won" Free Agency, only to get everyone excited just in time to hit the field and have a whole bunch of Free Agent busts?

He's hinting he knows something. He's been saying we'll be more active then a lot of people think for a while. Now that it's getting closer, I'm sure he has a few names he's heard.

17 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Truthfully, if any of those end up signing and they give Minshew/future QB a solid security blanket and solid at the position, it'd be a W no matter what happens.

Minshew looked so much better when JOS was in compared to DeValve and co.

He's hinting he knows something. He's been saying we'll be more active then a lot of people think for a while. Now that it's getting closer, I'm sure he has a few names he's heard.

The bolded is very much an "if" though.  Far from a guarantee that they're going to solidify the position and give us a "W no matter what happens".  There are those very real scenarios where a lot of money gets tied up in a guy who doesn't solidify the position.  Which is not a W.

Ex// How "solid" we are at LG right now, after landing Norwell.  xD  Who frankly, had a lot less apparent risk factor than guys like Ebron/Henry/Hooper imo.  Just spending a bunch of money on a guy who has been good somewhere else at some point, obviously doesn't necessarily give you that same caliber of positional solidity.

I'm curious if he's hinting at specific things he's heard...if it's real mutual interest at this point, or if it's just more like a fancy "wishlist" Dave and Co. have put together.  Especially considering the potential damage to this organizations reputation with the Players Association.

Edited by Tugboat

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The bolded is very much an "if" though.  Far from a guarantee that they're going to solidify the position and give us a "W no matter what happens".  There are those very real scenarios where a lot of money gets tied up in a guy who doesn't solidify the position.  Which is not a W.

Ex// How "solid" we are at LG right now, after landing Norwell.  xD  Who frankly, had a lot less apparent risk factor than guys like Ebron/Henry/Hooper imo.  Just spending a bunch of money on a guy who has been good somewhere else at some point, obviously doesn't necessarily give you that same caliber of positional solidity.

I'm curious if he's hinting at specific things he's heard...if it's real mutual interest at this point, or if it's just more like a fancy "wishlist" Dave and Co. have put together.  Especially considering the potential damage to this organizations reputation with the Players Association.

For sure, but you have to pay to take the chance like we're both talking about. The draft just isn't the route if you need immediate help. Hock last year was a straight stud and had his moments but even he wasn't an impact guy his first year.

Ultimately, no TE is going to be more than 10-12M probably, Ebron could be a decent amount less, 7-8M. If it doesn't work out, the way contracts are structured, it'd be fine. Even Norwell who you hint at has been fine. The OL woes have been Cam in pass blocking, Cann just being a better depth guy, and Taylor having his normal rookie slumps.

Think he knows some things are going to happen. I don't think he'd be tweeting like he has if they were just wish lists/not likely.

1 hour ago, Chops013 said:

I’m stumped trying to figure out who would be a big enough signing to get Jags fans back “all in”.

Hooper? Chris Jones? Clowney?

Not sure if he means a $20-22M guy here.

Probably will be littered with a few solid guys. Definitely expect us to go after a big interior body like Hargrave/Pierce, maybe a LB like Schobert, Robbie Anderson, etc.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Probably will be littered with a few solid guys. Definitely expect us to go after a big interior body like Hargrave/Pierce, maybe a LB like Schobert, Robbie Anderson, etc.

To go with this, I would absolutely love if Reader was a focus. He'll be expensive but he's sooo good.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Im not sure if schobert is worth the 10 million hes looking for

55 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Im not sure if schobert is worth the 10 million hes looking for

He's pretty damn good. I'm not sure if that's ideal but he's probably the best ILB in FA (although not quite the run stopper that we desperately need).