Free Agent Tracker: News and Notes

.Buzz

Just now, Tugboat said:

Wasn't he like...not particularly good, and not very healthy for them?

They have had very different views on his health and the relationship was poor.

He used to be quite good. I would be here for kicking the tires depending on $ personally.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

They have had very different views on his health and the relationship was poor.

He used to be quite good. I would be here for kicking the tires depending on $ personally.

I wouldn't hate some tire kicking, if the $$$ are low enough.  Problem though, is that even if you get him fairly cheap...it doesn't sound like he's the sort of guy who would take all that kindly to playing more of a "depth" role, if he doesn't win a starting job at one of the tackle spots.  So you'd kinda have to roll with the assumption that he's going to supplant Cam...whether he's washed up or not.

Love depth.  Don't really love when it can potentially back you into a bit of a corner like that.

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I wouldn't hate some tire kicking, if the $$$ are low enough.  Problem though, is that even if you get him fairly cheap...it doesn't sound like he's the sort of guy who would take all that kindly to playing more of a "depth" role, if he doesn't win a starting job at one of the tackle spots.  So you'd kinda have to roll with the assumption that he's going to supplant Cam...whether he's washed up or not.

Love depth.  Don't really love when it can potentially back you into a bit of a corner like that.

Yeah, I'd hope they'd do background on him and make sure. If Cam beats him out then I'm fine with letting him go elsewhere. Just think Cam needs someone to push him.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I'd hope they'd do background on him and make sure. If Cam beats him out then I'm fine with letting him go elsewhere. Just think Cam needs someone to push him.

Yeah.  Have to do something to bolster that LT spot.  Feel like a young guy might be the better option though.  Someone who isn't going to have a problem sitting behind Cam to continue pushing him if they don't win the job out of the gate.  Depth like Cordy Glenn doesn't do much for you, if he wants out the second he's pushed into a depth role.  xD

Unless of course...they were to bring in a FA who would pretty much unequivocally win the job before they even hit the field.  But that's a pipe dream i think.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Linval is interesting...

I'd definitely think about taking a flyer on Rhodes and hoping he can get a little bit of a change of scenery spark to get a year or two out of him.  Considering our need at CB, and he's got some good top-level experience to offer a young/inexperienced secondary at least.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I'd definitely think about taking a flyer on Rhodes and hoping he can get a little bit of a change of scenery spark to get a year or two out of him.  Considering our need at CB, and he's got some good top-level experience to offer a young/inexperienced secondary at least.

I've watched him the last couple years and it has been bad. Depends on $ but eh...

Linval on the other hand is still good. Idk why he got cut.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I've watched him the last couple years and it has been bad. Depends on $ but eh...

Linval on the other hand is still good. Idk why he got cut.

It'd be a reclamation project type flyer, for sure.  And probably a failing one, considering it's hard for those guys to "get their athleticism back".  But on the cheap, i think he'd be a useful depth piece.  Like Poz, when his limited athleticism went away completely at the end...he was still a good guy to have around, with all that experience and stuff to share.  Rhodes seems like he could maybe be a bit of that...and hope you can get some serviceable snaps out of him, if you can get him in the right role.  

Linval would be nice, in that it'd kinda take a need off the board for the draft.  Have to be really careful with term and contract structure on him though.  He's getting up there in years.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

It'd be a reclamation project type flyer, for sure.  And probably a failing one, considering it's hard for those guys to "get their athleticism back".  But on the cheap, i think he'd be a useful depth piece.  Like Poz, when his limited athleticism went away completely at the end...he was still a good guy to have around, with all that experience and stuff to share.  Rhodes seems like he could maybe be a bit of that...and hope you can get some serviceable snaps out of him, if you can get him in the right role.  

Linval would be nice, in that it'd kinda take a need off the board for the draft.  Have to be really careful with term and contract structure on him though.  He's getting up there in years.

Think Linval, depending on $, would make a ton of sense if we don't plan on Brown at 9. Love Blacklock too but he'd probably need to be taken at 20 as I doubt he falls to 42.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I think if we draft either of those LB I mentioned they play on 3rd down too. Very good speed/explosiveness from both. 

If we don't sign a guy of substance we will take a LB in first 3 rounds. Hopefully they're not from a small school that will have a big learning curve like Quincy.

to be fair to quincy he was also a Safety so he had to learn a new position in addition to small school

46 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

With Trent Baalke, I could see Arik Armstead being a target to fill the Calais role.

This would be intriguing but I think I prefer getting Epenesa at 20. Think Armstead may go for more than he's worth if I'm being honest.