The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

44 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I completely disagree. A feeder / linked league is the only survival hope. 

Trying to compete, when your biggest names are the likes of Cardale Jones is a hopeless cause. 

They aren’t trying to be a direct competitor. It’s a spring league with enough different rules for new interest but not to the point it changes the sport. People want to see football year round. I sure do. I’d gladly cancel Baseball and Basketball for a year round NFL. But since we can’t have that, I’ll take XFL gladly. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They aren’t trying to be a direct competitor. It’s a spring league with enough different rules for new interest but not to the point it changes the sport. People want to see football year round. I sure do. I’d gladly cancel Baseball and Basketball for a year round NFL. But since we can’t have that, I’ll take XFL gladly. 

They do want to see football. But football for a purpose. 

The XFL rules aren't very different and the players are basically a collection of NFL failures. 

By having a link to the NFL a development league both gets the power behind it, but also a structure to get players. By standing alone, you either have to compete, or accept it'll be sub standard 

8 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I completely disagree. A feeder / linked league is the only survival hope. 

Trying to compete, when your biggest names are the likes of Cardale Jones is a hopeless cause. 

The ways a NFL funded minor league and a separate smaller professional league survive is the same - the fanatics who love watching football despite the name talent. The only difference is that if the NFL funded the league and helped them out, then the NFL has the power to cut the lifeline anytime it is upset with how it is going, a separate league doesn't have to face that trouble. This is what happened with NFL Europe.

The AAF's main issue was being unable to attract people like Cardale Jones, paying your QB 80k a year to live in San Diego is crazy, that's probably below the poverty line in that city lol, the XFL on the other hand is like "Yeah come here Landry Jones, let me pay you 500k a year." It's a difference, a feeder league would also be linked to the NFL franchises ability to pay you and they don't want to pay you a lot, we can look at the G-League, youre getting 35k a season, minor league baseball its like 5k a season. This is stuff that will never change and has been normalized by these sports, NFL Europe paid players 40k to go live in a European city and then fly back to the US in the offseason, that's not enough.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I would recommend using the following 2 sites to help you draft. There's an ADP filter you can click but it's not helpful since most of the players are unknown commodities and I think people are just drafting players with no clue of who's who and therefor the ADP isn't the most accurate in telling which player will be good.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/xfl-fantasy-football-rankings-by-position-2020-01dyfrnhzzvz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_XFL_Draft

Glad to hear AltFS is usable! I was a little worried about it since it's not an official site, and since I've never played fantasy football I don't know what the typical fan's expectations are. I know if I did play, Sammie Coates would be one of my first picks because he's a recognizable name and I expect him to ball out here.

38 minutes ago, Drained said:

The ways a NFL funded minor league and a separate smaller professional league survive is the same - the fanatics who love watching football despite the name talent. The only difference is that if the NFL funded the league and helped them out, then the NFL has the power to cut the lifeline anytime it is upset with how it is going, a separate league doesn't have to face that trouble. This is what happened with NFL Europe.

An interesting sidenote to this is that Oliver Luck was actually president of NFL Europe from 1996-2000, at a time when it was giving players like Kurt Warner and Adam Vinatieri their first shot at the pros. (Judging by his resume, he's the adventurous type who changes jobs every 3-4 years.) He probably has a lot more freedom, and more money to work with, in the XFL.

"Just when you thought it was time to pretend to enjoy basketball for the next three months," says Yahoo Sports, "we have more football!"

This is it: 19 years after folding, the XFL is back with a better commissioner, a better TV deal, more sensible rules, and hopefully no cheap gimmicks.

Let's get started with Week 1! The pregame show is up.

Sat, 2/8: Seattle Dragons @ D.C. Defenders, ABC, 2pm ET
Los Angeles Wildcats @ Houston Roughnecks, FOX, 5pm ET

Sun, 2/9: Tampa Bay Vipers @ New York Guardians, FOX, 2pm ET
St. Louis Battlehawks @ Dallas Renegades, ESPN, 5pm ET

On 1/9/2020 at 10:37 PM, SwoleXmad said:

Not even sure they make it to week 10 after the last league folded. 

Also Vince McMahon so this is doomed from the start.

Now we just need Donnie Boi to bring back the USFL.

This is a bad take man sorry. The AAF folded due to lack of money. Vince has the money to fund this league by himself for 5 years minimum and he also put way more thought and effort into it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Yikes. O.o

That's what happens when your league is more professional, AAF would have inevitably folded this year anyway, also when you put teams in smaller markets, no one is going to a game in Salt Lake like they will go to a game in NY or Houston or Dallas.