The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

100%. To be honest, I'll probably watch more XFL games than I did NFL regular season games the past 2 years!

Part of that is because I'm less busy in Feb-Mar but also because the league setup is very intriguing to me:

*Significantly different rule structure and timing

*10 week schedule, no BYEs, that's nearly half the NFL season so you have expedited progression

*I'm a basketball fan first but I don't care about NHL hockey (only minor) and that means I get a 2nd semi-pro sports league to watch

I think the biggest issues that can rise within the first few weeks is if you have established dominance from a few teams. Like through 5 weeks the standings are something like 5-0 or 4-1 leading conference and a bunch of 2-3/3-2 with an 0-5 team, etc. With only 4 teams per and 2 playoff spots you could also conceivably have a 7-1 or 8-0 team rest starters. Which I know might not affect with no brand name but would be very anti-climactic to the last few weeks. Dito for the playoffs. The original XFL saw 2 clearly favoured teams during the season although the #1 was upset the 3 playoff games saw only 1 close match with the title game being a blow-out. I know the problem with the original XFL as this one is the perception of a fix but you kind of need close games the first couple seasons to create drama. It's about the rules, how quickly the league functions and the drama.

They also need a few faces of the league. I still remember He Hate Me! I just wonder how Tebow could kill it in the league and it's too bad he's taking a pass (this year). I get that the average salary is $55,000 but players can't expect a new league to have established brand money. Things take off quick these days, in just 3 seasons the money could go up significantly but you gotta start somewhere.

Games on Fox and ABC?  Yeah, I'll tune in if I don't have to pay for it, still football.  If they were smart they'd stream all their games on their own app for free and try to live off of ad money, but I bet the network contracts preclude that as an option.  I would have watched a lot more AAF if I could have just flipped on a local network and watched.

16 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Look at his filmography and tell me you take this man learning from his mistakes seriously. 

There was a deliberate, over-the-top, clownish aspect to the original XFL (trying to combine the NFL with the WWE). That's not happening this go-round. That's a huge plus. 

40 minutes ago, Classic said:

Who's the best player the XFL has to offer? I can't watch failed BUSTS and fool myself to thinking I'm watching good football. 

I often wonder how NCAA is so popular when most players won't be anywhere close to making it as a pro. I mean, I watched my college team live when I attended school but on television I only watched SF-F games for certain sports. At the end of the day a lot of the time you might be watching a future insurance salesman catching balls in meaningless games.

At least in the XFL these guys get PAID.