The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Make the money fully guaranteed, too - if a kid gets hurt, he gets a sizable amount of money to rely on as he figures out life after football.

Trevor Lawrence is absolutely making that much if he could have went XFL over Clemson. Justin Fields, too. Heck, Tate Martell probably gets that much, given the hype he had coming out of Nevada.

Think about how many QBs we've seen in the transfer portal lately. What if they had another option? You think Jacob Eason would rather make money instead of transfer to Washington AND have to sit a season?

The contracts aren't like other leagues. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-salary-structure/1amgsczt2ngnc1cekk66jektlr

Instead, the XFL salary structure is fairly simple: quarterbacks get paid more, everyone else gets roughly the same amount. There are bonuses (explained below) and benefits such as housing, meals and more.

XFL salary structure

• Average salary: $55,000
  • Bi-weekly paycheck: $2,080
  • Activation fee: $1,685
  • Victory bonus: $2,222

A memo sent from the XFL to agents explained the details of how they'd be paid. Players will be paid on a bi-weekly basis with a base paycheck of $2,080. If they are active for a game they will receive a bonus (activation fee) of $1,685. If their team wins they get an extra bonus of $2,222.

According to the memo sent by the league to agents it says "a player may earn up to $4,947 per game week." That's taking into account half of the base paycheck ($1,040), the activation fee and the victory bonus.

Contracts for players in the XFL this season start from Dec. 3, 2019 to May 31, 2020 if they remain in the league for the full season. 

Most players in the XFL will be earning roughly the same salary. The main difference is that top quarterbacks are eligible to make more. The new football league has placed on emphasis on quarterback play as commissioner Oliver Luck believes that's the key to having a good product on the field.

According to Yahoo Sports' sources, the top quarterbacks will earn $495,000. Those salaries are likely held for bigger name quarterbacks such as Landry Jones, Cardale Jones and Josh Johnson (potentially among others). 

On a different note, things seem to be going quite well

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Right now, no. But if this league were to head in that direction, that's exactly how you'd do it - you'd pay the guys straight from HS bigger amounts.

If the league went this direction, it's absolutely on them to create a financial structure to make it lucrative to a player who'd forgo college for the XFL.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

RB is definitely a position where UDFA types can thrive in the NFL. It’ll be interesting to see how the XFL RB situations shake out. 

Looking forward to the Vipers first W tomorrow. 

Judging by these first two games, it appears that offensive lines aren't strong enough to open up running lanes in the XFL. 

This would make sense as even in the NFL there is a shortage of quality blockers. If the XFL can't get some quality offensive line play it won't matter which rb  is back there. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Right now, no. But if this league were to head in that direction, that's exactly how you'd do it - you'd pay the guys straight from HS bigger amounts.

If the league went this direction, it's absolutely on them to create a financial structure to make it lucrative to a player who'd forgo college for the XFL.

Lol. That's some impressive twisting about what you think might happen vs. what is actually happening right now.

2 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Lol. That's some impressive twisting about what you think might happen vs. what is actually happening right now.

No, you're just late to the conversation son:

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

Nope. Five star HS guys.

Aim for them, offer them a paycheck and release them from contractual obligations after they reach their third year and become draft eligible. If I'm a five star RB, which sounds more appealing - playing football at college for nothing, or playing three seasons of XFL Football for $1.5mm?

Competing against the NFL isn't smart. Competing against the NCAA? That's a dog that can hunt.

I laid out the framework several pages ago. You're trying to spin it as an existing example, I plainly state it's not a normal situation well beforehand.

This being said:

2 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

According to Yahoo Sports' sources, the top quarterbacks will earn $495,000. Those salaries are likely held for bigger name quarterbacks such as Landry Jones, Cardale Jones and Josh Johnson (potentially among others). 

So, I'm proposing an extra $5,000 (which is clearly there in incentives). Not exactly twisting much, but think whatever you want to think, junior.

3 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

$55,000 hopefully the league is successful enough so that can eventually double. That’s not a lot for putting your body on the line 

well if you look at it. most guys in the league, prolly werent being paid to play football. So now they get to make a decent yr salary for just a season. On top of whatever they do outside of the season. Now they get that money and film to show NFL teams to potentially make it to the league or back to the league. If the league develops and they start getting more advertisement deals and TV deals those contracts will increase

4 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

$55,000 hopefully the league is successful enough so that can eventually double. That’s not a lot for putting your body on the line 

That's the idea. First season, everyone makes the same amount and the second season the teams can start offering their own individual contracts, I don't know how it will work but I'm imagining that Vince gives them a cap space or something for the first few seasons he has invested in until the league is making enough from TV deals and the like for the teams to have decent income, that'll take like five years though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Alright. So, in our theoretical four-team expansion of the XFL, we'd add Portland, Salt Lake City, Columbus. All three make sense, honestly. What would the fourth be? I feel like Oklahoma City would be a good spot for a pro team, but @ET80, we don't want to give something like that to Oklahoma, right? Anyways, Missouri has a team and Texas has two. XFL might not be looking at Oklahoma when there's a lot more space available.

The Divisions could be:

West Coast - POR, SEA, LA

Cowboy - SLC, HOU, DAL

Middle America - COL, STL, ???

East Coast - DC, NY, TB

If I'm honest, you shouldn't experiment in those markets, they're good markets to put a football team in but the XFL is young, it hasn't got the same namebrand as the NFL, if the NFL placed a team in Portland, everyone would come out to watch it, you need to look at previous leagues like the AAF and the UFL and what teams worked there. Orlando, San Antonio and obviously San Diego (San Diego is an obvious why wouldn't you put a team there?) are all my first choices, SA has the Alamodome, Orlando is a big tourist city that loves their sports and deserves more professional teams like SA (I think they voted overwhelmingly to support a MLS team and they had the highest attendance for the first season) and San Diego cause... well it's San Diego lol, come on.

Though putting a third team in Texas wouldn't do anything bad for the league considering how Texas loves sports I do think they want to tackle more markets, also we all need to look at how Salt Lake had the worst attendance in the AAF, it didn't do as well as we expected. Portland should definitely be the fourth one in that list of teams I'm proposing but if theres an expansion I see the McMahon's moving it to an NFL franchise location.

8 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

While it's not the Millions you'd make in the NFL, pretty sure very few of those XFL players have another job outside of Football earning 10K a month.

Didn't see the Dragons play live, but saw the highlights on YouTube. Austin Proehl looks like he gonna be a missile for sure. Overall, not bad play from the XFL. Still hate their kickoff rules. Because it didn't stay up to the 20 you go to the 45 of the opponent's side? Outlandish. But looking forward to today's games live.

10 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Still hate their kickoff rules. Because it didn't stay up to the 20 you go to the 45 of the opponent's side?

They want kick returns, not touchbacks or fair catches. So if its too close to the ST lines they will probably fair catch it. They also want more offense. Neither of which are bad ideas. 

• Like 2