The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think that's a point of work - offensive line play with the run. It was lacking just about everywhere, nobody was able to run inside the Ts. Any good run was off-tackle. 

It'll be interesting to see how - or IF - this improves.

Though, while Michael certainly did seem to be victimized by bad OL play on a few occasions - though his play was underwhelming - and completed the game with ZERO net rushing yards, it's fair to note that Matt Jones, his teammate, led the league in rushing today.

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

Not very good for my 1st round selection I’ll tell you that much.

Good think I have MVPJ Walker at QB. Matafakin GOAT.

I did 40 bucks of DFS and ended up 10 bucks up. But I got a zero out of Michael in one of them, then this morning my phone alerted me Landry Jones will play so my dumbass thought start. I had Flowers in like every single one as a flex, and he almost got enough time to find the EZ once or twice. but PJ Walker saved my ***, and the DC defense. Walker, Spruce, and DC D basically did everything for me and everything else was like 4-8 points lol. 

Michael might be fine though, he wasn't given a chance.. 

15 minutes ago, Totty said:

I would like to echo this.  I think the major difference is going to be the quality of the game this time.  It's head and shoulders above what 1.0 looked like.  If that continues, with the additions like coach mic, and kickoff etc.. I can see it working out.  Could be wrong, but I think they've got something.  

Football quality helps - the lack of the WWE gimmick stuff also helps, too. No half naked cheerleaders, no Jesse Ventura trying to shoot a promo between himself and a HC, no He Hate Me. Just football, actual football people making the play by play and interviews on the sideline. 

I just finished watching This was the XFL on ESPN+ (I HIGHLY recommend it, by the way) and it's a reminder of how tenuous this could be. 

• Like 1

Favored to win title before first game according to Vegas Odds:

1) Dallas

2) New York

3) D.C.

4) Houston

5) St. Louis

6) Los Angeles

7) Seattle

8) Tampa Bay

Perhaps move Dallas down to 5th and move every team up one spot. 

1) New York, 2) D.C. 3) Houston 4) St. Louis

I picked the right team to be a fan of. Matt McGloin is  a winner. Absolutely love the Guardians color scheme and logo as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Football quality helps - the lack of the WWE gimmick stuff also helps, too. No half naked cheerleaders, no Jesse Ventura trying to shoot a promo between himself and a HC, no He Hate Me. Just football, actual football people making the play by play and interviews on the sideline. 

I just finished watching This was the XFL on ESPN+ (I HIGHLY recommend it, by the way) and it's a reminder of how tenuous this could be. 

I'll check it out.  That was something else I noticed.  They used professional play by play and announcers.  Which you're right, made a huge difference.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Totty said:

I'll check it out.  That was something else I noticed.  They used professional play by play and announcers.  Which you're right, made a huge difference.  

You sorta knew that XFL 1.0 was going to wobble out of control when Vince came out on the field, grabbed a mic and did his signature growl, screaming "THIS...IS...THE XFFFFFEEELLLLL!!!" like he was dropping a challenge to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

None of that was present this weekend, which is great. This was just football.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You sorta knew that XFL 1.0 was going to wobble out of control when Vince came out on the field, grabbed a mic and did his signature growl, screaming "THIS...IS...THE XFFFFFEEELLLLL!!!" like he was dropping a challenge to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

None of that was present this weekend, which is great. This was just football.

You would have never known that Vince had anything to do with it from just on TV. That being said, the XFL discord was 99 percent WWE memes lol

• Like 1

Fantasy Notes: A few guys had nice performances. I won't be talking about Nelson Spruce, already did that.

Matt Jones of the BattleHawks led the league in rushing with 85 yards. Jones is a former Redskins starter and had a very nice rookie season for them before dealing with injuries and a committee backfield that suppressed his production. Now, he's a talented back in his own right, but it's probably fair that he's not on an NFL team when other talented backs like CJ Anderson and Jay Ajayi (who both have 1,000 yard seasons under their belts) have been free agents off and on for so long. He was used as a workhorse, and his primary competition, Christine Michael, finished with zero rushing yards on seven carries. I'd target him round 1. Looks like RBs are going to be VERY touchdown dependent for fantasy, because rushing offenses are almost non-existent. 

Daniel Williams of the Tampa Bay Vipers led the league in receiving yards with 130. The Vipers looked awful. Their defense was trashy, Williams was their only WR catching anything, and their QB, Aaron Murray (former starter for the Georgia Bulldogs) looked like the XFL's worst quarterback. I'd still say that Daniel Williams is worth getting because they'll probably be playing from behind a lot, so that means more passing of the football. 

The Vipers' RB, DeVeon Smith of the University of Michigan, looked really nice, too. He created through contact and had some tough running. I'd say his ability to create yards is nice, and he finished second in the league in rushing this week, but I'm not confident in Tampa's offense so his ceiling could be 15 carries in a game. He DOES have the power to score TDs if his team gets to the goal line, though.

Out of all the QBs, PJ Walker of the Houston Roughnecks was the most impressive this week. 

Former Ohio State Buckeye and the FIRST winner of the College football playoff National Championship Game, Cardale Jones of the DC Defenders, looked really, really good, as well. He was the Chargers' third-string QB until this season (Tyrod Taylor was the backup). To think that the Chargers let him go.

Former Ole Miss standout and native Hawaiian Jordan Ta'Amu had a REALLY good game for the St Louis BattleHawks today. He went 20-27 passing with over 200 yards, a touchdown, no interceptions, and nearly 80 rushing yards. Ta'Amu HAD the job for the Texans as a back-up, @ET80can attest to this, but he dealt with an injury and as we know, the greatest ability is availability. The Texans ended up bringing back Joe Webb to replace the injured Ta'Amu, if I remember correctly. He's only 22 years old but his composure was tremendous.

Now, two of the league's projected top QBs, Landry Jones of the Dallas Renegades and Josh Johnson of the LA Wildcats, both missed this week with injuries. Both of their backups played poorly, so both should step in and immediately add some spark to their offenses. Landry Jones is a Bob Stoops protégé, and what do you know, Bob Stoops is his XFL coach. 

QB Josh Johnson, also known as "Headache," started for the Redskins two years ago. The Lions tried to sign him to start after Stafford's injury, but the XFL blocked them, as he is their highest investment at the QB position. He is very athletic and brings plenty of experience to the table. He missed this week with a thigh injury but should start for the Wildcats next week.
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 7:52 PM, BayRaider said:

1) New York, 2) D.C. 3) Houston 4) St. Louis

I picked the right team to be a fan of. Matt McGloin is  a winner. Absolutely love the Guardians color scheme and logo as well. 

Their uniforms are excellent, especially the helmets. I'm glad the team played as tough as they looked.

This weekend was just plain football with no silly gimmicks and some neat innovations. Today's games weren't as fun as yesterday's but they weren't bad either. The league will continue to air mostly on ABC and FOX with some on ESPN/ESPN2/FS1, so they won't vanish from the face of the earth like the AAF seemed to 3-4 weeks in. 

I hope they speed up the game a bit more and get better at spotting the ball. ABC and FOX both covered the league well and seemed to get a grip on things quickly; ESPN needs to find a better broadcast team. Bottom line, this was pretty fun to watch. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by y*so*blu

I find it interesting XFL had really high ratings in Columbus, OH. Mayor Coleman and Ginther have tried like crazy to get pro football teams in Columbus. They have a new stadium calling Mapfre. Football is king in Ohio.

If the XFL sticks around, Columbus is gonna get a team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1226659765914304514

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 6