The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Football quality helps - the lack of the WWE gimmick stuff also helps, too. No half naked cheerleaders, no Jesse Ventura trying to shoot a promo between himself and a HC, no He Hate Me. Just football, actual football people making the play by play and interviews on the sideline. 

I just finished watching This was the XFL on ESPN+ (I HIGHLY recommend it, by the way) and it's a reminder of how tenuous this could be. 

Wait.... What's wrong with half naked cheerleaders? 🤨

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Next week we may see the two best teams in the league going head to head: New York vs D.C., two playoff teams going head to head: Houston vs St. Louis, and the two worst teams going head to head: Tampa Bay vs Seattle. 

Should be a crazy Week 2.

Hey, now! I was actually more or less impressed with Seattle and feel like it's disingenuous to compare anyone to the level of suckage that is the Tampa Bay Vipers.

We seen a bunch of these leagues and they all seem to fail. This to me is the same thing tried again.

Why not try something different?

How about  you start a league with pro team where every pro team is modelled around 1 famous college team? Like a collega alumni team. Meaning you can only have former players of that college, you play in the same colour combo of that college and even have a name similarity.

You could have Denard Robinson for 'the Wolves' versus Terrel Pryor at "Buckeyes'"

Assuming the starters and 2nd string guys who graduated/finished their college career but were not good enough for the NFL would be in this league for 3 to 5 years you'd have a pretty strong competition and a lot of name recognition and probably fans as well.

Edited by Roninho

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Next week we may see the two best teams in the league going head to head: New York vs D.C., two playoff teams going head to head: Houston vs St. Louis, and the two worst teams going head to head: Tampa Bay vs Seattle

Should be a crazy Week 2.

Jeez. I know that was a brutal showing by Tampa Bay, but it's only week two. They opened as league favorites and I'm not giving up on them yet. Didn't these teams only have two weeks of practice prior to week 1? Plenty of time for teams to come around. Kansas City didn't have championship caliber defense until around week 11 of this past NFL season.

I didn't watch a lot, but I do have a couple surface level opinions.

1. I both love and hate that they have the coach mic'd up and you can hear the plays. On one hand, doesn't this expose your coaching methods, callouts, etc? And on the other, it provides a cool level of insight to things.

2. Constantly bugging the players who are out of breath for trivial questions every 5 minutes is kinda annoying: "SO WHAT WERE YOU DOING OUT THERE" ..."WELL *breath* YOU KNOW *breath* WE UHH, UHH *breath* WE DID A THING WITH THE BALL AND UHHHH *breath* MADE THE PLAY" ....*blank stares and silence followed by awkward dismissal and walk away*

3. I can't get over the kickoff and extra point attempts.

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I find it interesting XFL had really high ratings in Columbus, OH. Mayor Coleman and Ginther have tried like crazy to get pro football teams in Columbus. They have a new stadium calling Mapfre. Football is king in Ohio.

If the XFL sticks around, Columbus is gonna get a team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1226659765914304514

Candy - I also heard a radio report this AM that among the top television markets for XFL viewing this weekend was...........

Cleveland, OH.

Before anointing us with a future franchise - we must be cognizant of the fact the opening weekend is the second weekend of February. It can still be bitterly cold in NE Ohio outdoors at that time of year. I don't see a franchise on the north coast without a domed facility.

The other tidbit from that same report is that the average physical attendance for the four games across the league was just 17,000 per game. And that was opening weekend. Not good.

10 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Candy - I also heard a radio report this AM that among the top television markets for XFL viewing this weekend was...........

Cleveland, OH.

Before anointing us with a future franchise - we must be cognizant of the fact the opening weekend is the second weekend of February. It can still be bitterly cold in NE Ohio outdoors at that time of year. I don't see a franchise on the north coast without a domed facility.

The other tidbit from that same report is that the average physical attendance for the four games across the league was just 17,000 per game. And that was opening weekend. Not good.

Just transfer the Browns over to the XFL, they'll fit right in.

9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Kaep is a joke.

• Like 3