The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

27 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I agree they should be snagging those young guys, but they might make more at Bama, OSU, and Clemson. Short term, the money is maybe better, but when you start considering the publicity and name recognition that comes with those big schools they might lose out in the long run. 

I can agree with this, but it would also help out the guys who never developed as colleges intended (David Mills, Hunter Johnson - the top two HS QBs from 2017, both should be the top QBs of this current NFL draft class, neither of which never developed at Stanford and Clemson, respectively). A Stanford or Clemson education is absolutely fantastic and worth it if you actually get one, but is it worth $1.5mm? (Stanford might, I don't know).

I'd personally call it a zero sum game, but I'm admittedly committed to the "recruit HS kids" thought.

11 minutes ago, Drained said:

Let me say, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I catch a lot of HS FB, it's on the tv at work when I'm on my lunch breaks on friday and even the best HS QB's are not that good tbh... There's a reason they all sit for a year when they hit college.

This is fair, I can buy that - but look at guys like Jake Fromm, Tua Tagovailoa, Trevor Lawrence. Heck, Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields, too.

These top tier (I mean the REALLY top tier, 1-5 guys in the nation) are starting as true freshman and leading their colleges to National Titles. These QBs are now being identified as early as 11 years old and are getting private QB coaches in middle school, working on their mechanics and refining their football IQ right off the bat.

HS QBs are getting better, much better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Drained said:

Every QB who was allocated is earning the 495k. Next season I believe those tags will get removed and team VP presidents and the GM/HC will get the choice on who to assign that tier one contract (the 495k) on. I don't know if that can be put on non-QB's but considering the fact Aaron Murray, Luis Perez and Brandon Silvers are being drastically overpaid, I'm curious on what they'll do.

They'll have to allocate that to non-QB guys - a guy like Shawn Oakman should probably get a contract like that.

3x Grey Cujp winner and 8x CFL all-star SJ Green signing with the Seattle Dragons on Monday. He's old (34) and probably just relocating to retire in the US (he was making probably 50k more on average in the CFL) but it'll be interesting to see how he helps shape Seattle's offense considering he was still pretty good last year and clocked a 1000 yard season again.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

The max an XFL QB can make is $495,000 a season... or roughly 2% of what Kyler Murray made on his signing bonus alone:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/xfl-salary-structure/1amgsczt2ngnc1cekk66jektlr

According to Yahoo Sports' sources, the top quarterbacks will earn $495,000. Those salaries are likely held for bigger name quarterbacks such as Landry Jones, Cardale Jones and Josh Johnson (potentially among others). 

Elite QBs would be taking a significant pay cut even with the cap structured the way it is.

not saying an elite guy is going to choose the XFL over the NFL. They could get a guy for 1-2, maybe 3 years before they go to the NFL or steal a #2 or #3 QB

Also right now the pay is $500K but if the league keeps doing this well, the pay will raise. They will never be able to compete with the top talent like the USFL tried to and they shouldnt. They need to take advantage of the NFL draft rule and go after the young guys. Go after those stud Freshman AA

34 minutes ago, buno67 said:

not saying an elite guy is going to choose the XFL over the NFL. They could get a guy for 1-2, maybe 3 years before they go to the NFL or steal a #2 or #3 QB

Also right now the pay is $500K but if the league keeps doing this well, the pay will raise. They will never be able to compete with the top talent like the USFL tried to and they shouldnt. They need to take advantage of the NFL draft rule and go after the young guys. Go after those stud Freshman AA

I think you and I are saying the same thing, just in different ways. I'm advocating going after the top HS Seniors, and any player who is in the transfer portal, guys who have elite traits but might be stuck on a depth chart.

If I'm the XFL, I'm getting in good with guys like Trent Dilfer and Sean Salisbury, former NFL QBs who are now working across the nation as private QB coaches - put the ideal in their heads that there's an alternative to an athlete scholarship, one that will allow these QBs to make some money, compete against equivalent talent as CFB offers...and MAYBE throw a quarter mil at the private QB coach as a "consulting fee". 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

and MAYBE throw a quarter mil at the private QB coach as a "consulting fee"

I am with you on the rest of it, but this crosses a line to me. 

Giving 17-19 year old kids life advice because someone else is paying you money to steer them a certain way is morally wrong. Give each person advice based on their own set of circumstances. This path wouldn't be the right one for all but it absolutely would be the right path for some 

The more options kids have to make money playing football, the better 

Also - I wonder if the NFL will flex super hard on these networks next time around with some sort of exclusivity clause in their deal. Would kill the xfl 

10 minutes ago, N4L said:

I am with you on the rest of it, but this crosses a line to me. 

Giving 17-19 year old kids life advice because someone else is paying you money to steer them a certain way is morally wrong. Give each person advice based on their own set of circumstances. This path wouldn't be the right one for all but it absolutely would be the right path for some 

The more options kids have to make money playing football, the better 

Also - I wonder if the NFL will flex super hard on these networks next time around with some sort of exclusivity clause in their deal. Would kill the xfl 

NFL doesn't feel the threat of the XFL like that

Also honestly, I know it sounds wrong but lots of sports already does that, Rugby, Hockey, Soccer, all do that kind of stuff and thats cause they have farm teams / allow players to go pro at 18 or sometimes at 16. The people that teach them end up becoming role models to these kids and help guide them.

Edited by Drained

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think you and I are saying the same thing, just in different ways. I'm advocating going after the top HS Seniors, and any player who is in the transfer portal, guys who have elite traits but might be stuck on a depth chart.

If I'm the XFL, I'm getting in good with guys like Trent Dilfer and Sean Salisbury, former NFL QBs who are now working across the nation as private QB coaches - put the ideal in their heads that there's an alternative to an athlete scholarship, one that will allow these QBs to make some money, compete against equivalent talent as CFB offers...and MAYBE throw a quarter mil at the private QB coach as a "consulting fee". 

I think you are on the right track, kids should be given the opportunity to go pro earlier, the argument a lot of NFL analysts love to make is "Who would like to see a 18 year old being smashed by a 32 year old" like the 18 year old isn't getting hit by 24 year old linemen 6 years their senior in the NCAA D1 and the 18 year old isn't in a better physical shape than ANYONE older than him, that also relies to the "oh but brain damage" like CFB doesn't impact people permanently, they go on to sell insurance and beat their wives cause of the CTE they sustained when they played for some small program in college.

I can't think of a single argument against kids being able to go pro other than it possibly tarnishing college football and tbh, people still watch college baseball and college basketball even though a majority of the stars in those systems go pro after HS or after one year.