The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

On 3/16/2020 at 8:32 AM, HoboRocket said:

The real question is: if they have a Championship game, who represents the East? Three teams have the exact same record.

DC Defenders will. They won head to head against both the guardians and the hawks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Vince has to be taking a bath due to COVID-19. No WWE ticket sales, no more football, and no reason to keep all the coaches and players around until next year when we don't even know what next year's going to look like. A small crew of execs will carry on in company HQ, and hopefully that includes Oliver Luck, to plan for the 2021 season if indeed there is one. I can only hope.

2 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Vince has to be taking a bath due to COVID-19. No WWE ticket sales, no more football, and no reason to keep all the coaches and players around until next year when we don't even know what next year's going to look like. A small crew of execs will carry on in company HQ, and hopefully that includes Oliver Luck, to plan for the 2021 season if indeed there is one. I can only hope.

Apparently it is done done.

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Apparently it is done done.

There's nothing in there about the league folding completely or giving up on another season. I wouldn't blame them if they did, since this is a really bad time to be a startup sports league. But we'll see.

• Like 1

I'm shocked that an American Football professional league other than the NFL has suspended operations. Unheard of.

Sarcasm aside, I think this should be the end of these leagues. They never, ever last more than 2 years and it's just an annoying distraction.

32 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

exactly,

this is a horrible time to be involved in the sports industry. why keep paying these ppl if youre just hemorrhaging money

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, joru1000 said:

I'm shocked that an American Football professional league other than the NFL has suspended operations. Unheard of.

Sarcasm aside, I think this should be the end of these leagues. They never, ever last more than 2 years and it's just an annoying distraction.

To be fair the only reason this is happening is because of the Covid shutdown, they would have been complete fine for at least a second season has this not happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

To be fair the only reason this is happening is because of the Covid shutdown, they would have been complete fine for at least a second season has this not happened.

That’s only because Vince McMahon was determined as hell to make it work and was trying to commit time. There was no guarantee the ratings would turn around and they would develop revenue streams to make this viable. 

If anything this shows how volatile these things are. Two years in a row the primary investor pulled out. Yes Covid-19 is a once in a lifetime scenario but it basically showed that this was just a passion project from a money mark who was committed as long as his real source of wealth wasn’t at risk 

7 hours ago, lancerman said:

it basically showed that this was just a passion project from a money mark who was committed as long as his real source of wealth wasn’t at risk 

So basically 90% of businessmen? 

Few people will keep a business open when it begins to seriously threaten their wealth. Not sure how this proves anything, as the XFL is far from the only business going under 

Edited by iknowcool

27 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

So basically 90% of businessmen? 

Few people will keep a business open when it begins to seriously threaten their wealth. Not sure how this proves anything, as the XFL is far from the only business going under 

No... A lot of entrepreneurs take calculated risks and won’t stick their necks out too much for something as up in the air as this (think how wishy washy most AAF investors turned out to be). 

For Vince this was a passion project where he wanted to correct an old failure and he was willing up really go above and beyond on sticking his neck out here to get it off the ground. It’s rare that you will find someone that is this devoted to the concept who can also fund it.