The Official XFL Thread!

Nex_Gen

13 hours ago, lancerman said:

XFL just filed Chapter 11. It’s completely dead 

yeah, took a page out of his buddy trump's playbook (not political but a statement of fact. Trump has filed chapter 11 four times). Chapter 11 doesn't mean the league will never come back though, it essentially disbands and anyone who invested money will lose all of it, but vince could basically start again in a few years. Might have some trouble borrowing money to do it but he can do it. 

some interesting things coming out of this too. 23% of class b shares was owned by wwe. vince owned 100% of class A and the rest of class b. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-04-13/xfl-files-for-bankruptcy-vince-mcmahon

Also interesting, this is bad for the 49ers. 49ers ownership started a company dedicated to sports businesses called elevate. They were doing consumer facing product management, including ticket sales/pricing/marketing etc for the xfl and I think the 49ers president invested 1 million dollars of personal money

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2019/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-xfl-elevate-wwe-ticketmaster.html

https://elevatesportsventures.com/who-we-are/

^^^ I included that one so that everyone could see how stupid Jed York looks in that photo lol 

I believe there will be spring football at some point, the nfl needs a minor leagues. Vince Mcman might not be the right guy to get it started though

Is there any optimism with Vince throwing money at this? 

He also said McMahon, the league’s founder, “has committed to personally provide rescue financing and fund a Chapter 11 process that will preserve and maximize the value (of the XFL) for the benefit of its stakeholders and football fans everywhere.”

Employees laid off last week were paid in full for their hours worked and for unused vacation pay as of Sunday, the court documents said. The XFL’s revenue through February totaled $14 million with a net loss of $44 million, leaving $5.6 million in cash on hand.

According to court documents, McMahon gave the league a promissory note of $7 million on March 25 to help protect against financial shortfalls and has since given the league a secured loan of $9 million to pay a portion of the its debts.

The league’s largest unsecured creditors were the St. Louis Sports Commission ($1.6 million) for a lease agreement at the Dome at America’s center, Bexel NEP ($1.2 million), which provides broadcast services, and Dallas Renegades coach Bob Stoops ($1.083 million).

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Inside-the-XFL-bankruptcy-filing-optimism-and-15198120.php

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

There’s no reason to buy it. It’s a brand that lasted a few weeks and you would need to assume debt to take it on and it lacks any real infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

There’s no reason to buy it. It’s a brand that lasted a few weeks and you would need to assume debt to take it on and it lacks any real infrastructure. 

*Shrug*

Tell that to someone with billions to spare and no concept of failing. I ain't buying it, even with these fat stacks from Covid.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

Tell that to someone with billions to spare and no concept of failing. I ain't buying it, even with these fat stacks from Covid.

It wasn't working, I don't think even having Cuban's **** you money is enough to make it work. There's just no path to making the thing actually viable. It was dead with or without COVID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It wasn't working, I don't think even having Cuban's **** you money is enough to make it work. There's just no path to making the thing actually viable. It was dead with or without COVID.

It was working pretty well, good attendance and good viewership numbers. Of course it isn't going to make millions upon millions a game, Vince McMahon was funding everything himself, paying for the stadium rentals, the player contracts and the logistics. It would be viable if COVID didn't happen though I'm sure, it probably would have lasted the season and made McMahon feel like a second run was worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

It was catching on in Houston. I'm sure that was due to PJ Walker, but it was a foothold. 

Who knows what a year 2 looked like, who knows if a star would emerge elsewhere and grow roots in another city.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

It was catching on in Houston. I'm sure that was due to PJ Walker, but it was a foothold. 

Who knows what a year 2 looked like, who knows if a star would emerge elsewhere and grow roots in another city.

Seemed to be doing okay in DC too. This was week 5:

It was one of the better atmospheres of the XFL season, with 16,342 fans — a respectable showing — supporting their team.

• Like 1

Sounds like some people weren't actually watching. The XFL drew a million viewers or more four out of five weeks and attracted good crowds in most of their cities. In St. Louis' case, all they had to do was show up for half a season and the city responded so strongly that they were going to open the upper deck of The Dome. Unlike the AAF which was all tip and no iceberg (and a house of cards financially), the new XFL felt legit. They had a polished, exciting product and the backing to make it work. If not for the virus, we'd be watching their playoffs right now. Just a bad break for everyone involved.

If Cuban does buy the league he'll have to rebuild the rosters and rehire the coaching staffs if they want to come back next year. It's a tall order, but there's a chance.

Edited by y*so*blu

7 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

If Cuban does buy the league he'll have to rebuild the rosters and rehire the coaching staffs if they want to come back next year. It's a tall order, but there's a chance

Oh, don't take my word on Cuban. I just threw out a billionaire's name.