If you were the GM, what you do with 24M right now?

JAF-N72EX

Taking all things into consideration. If you were Pace, what would be your ideal way of spending $24M this offseason?

When I say taking into consideration, I'm talking about all transactions (I.E;  signing current Bears players who are set to become free agents, filling holes in FA/trades/Draft, extending deserving players, releasing players, extending key players whose contracts are set to expire after the 2020 season, etc, etc).

Based on my cap projections (and I've been damn near spot on every year since 2013 with the exception of 2015---new streaming deals I wasn't aware of at the time), the salary cap will be anywhere from $199.2M up to $200.6M. Obviously, like every other year, I could be wrong on these numbers after the official numbers come out but I feel pretty confident in them. Watch me be wrong this year now because I posted this lol.

This means the Bears currently have anywhere between $23.9M and $24.3M total for 2020, after extending EJ's contract.

Let's round it to $24M total for the sake of argument here (hence $24M in the title). 

What would you do with the money as GM?

I started this thread because when I logged in and saw @WindyCity's thread titled "Your #1 top FA" and right away I thought to myself "well before you get into "top free agents" you have to look at it the salary cap and ask yourself if it's realistic or not. IMO". After reading a few comments I felt like most people weren't really taking the salary cap into consideration in its entirety when basing their opinions and instead only looking at potential players available in free agency that feel a need.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You are keeping Floyd and Prince? 

Floyd, yes. Prince, no.

Releasing Floyd would be a downright stupid decision to make.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Who did you keep and let go to get to your number?

24M is only the estimated space that they currently have right now before the rookie cap and making any more moves. Not what MY total would be after any off-season moves.  

Everyone's total would be different, which is the point of the thread. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They will have roughly 40-50 million in cap space.

I get 40.5M.....if they cut Long, Prince, and Gabriel (20.6M)

$24M + 20.6M - projected rookie pay scale(4.1M) = 40.5M

....and the following expired contracts to address this year before June:
Trevathan, Scales, Bush, Dix, McMannis,RRH, Kwait, and KPL.

My opinion on these players. Don't let Trevathan or Scales walk. Period. They're too important right now. Bush and McMannis are excellent depth players and should be relatively cheap so sign them. Let RRH hit the market if he's not willing to sign a team-friendly deal. Same with Dix. Let someone overpay for Kwiat, which they most likely will, and take the pick. He's a good depth player but the potential pick would be more valuable to us right now than keeping him--similar to the Amos situation last season but on a lesser scale. KPL showed enough potential this season that's worth keeping, and keeping him should come fairly cheap.

Trevathan won't get Kendrick money but gets around the same as Hicks got in the open market last year, which was 4 yr 34M 12SB--6.7M against the cap in the first year(30 yrs old), 10M in the second(31), and 9M in third year and fourth year(32 & 34). 

Arob's 3rd contract is also coming up at the end of the 2020 season, and I can't imagine Pace doesn't give him an extension sometime this year unless he doesn't wanna be here anymore. (no indication of that being the case just saying...)

Plus whatever they do with others like O'Donnell, Cohen, Mitch, Patterson, Piniero, etc.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Robinson extension will create cap room.

I would extend and lower the cap hit for Patterson as well.

Like I said in another thread, I don't think Robinson's extension will save much. 

Patterson, I thought about this. I was on board with letting him walk early-mid season, especially for 5m, but considering what he can do as a returner and gadget player I think it's worth one more year, imo.

If it’s me I’m extending Robinson, replacing Chase with (probably) Mariota at comparable money, releasing or trading Floyd and trying to get Prince to take a pay cut to stay, try to bring back Trevathan on a deal for comparable $ to what he’s been making on his expiring deal, adding a top TE in FA and an edge rusher and a 1-year deal for a starter at OG. For Floyd’s $13M you can get an edge who can actually get to the QB. I’m signing one and drafting another edge at some point. 

As for the draft I’m looking early at a WR with SPEED. ARob is a stud and Miller was strong working opposite him in the 2nd half but neither really threatened vertically, and neither Ridley or Wims have that kind of speed either. I don’t think our primary vertical player can be 5’6” Cohen or 5’7” Gabriel. I’m personally looking WR at 43 Or 50 for Reagor, Aiyuk or Hamler. All of those guys can fly and have the game breaking RAC ability that we sorely lack right now. Hamler is smaller too so he’s 3rd on my list of those 3 but I still like him quite a bit. I want to see us come out of round 2 with a speed WR and an interior OL. I’d also add a RB at some point in the draft mid-late) IF we don’t add one in FA. With this being a really deep RB draft in the same offseason as several noteworthy RB hit FA there is going to be value at the position available for us. Montgomery is in all likelihood going to be the man again in 2020 and I’m good with that but we can’t have Cohen as his primary backup. I’ve personally seen enough of the Cohen show, but I know he’s not going anywhere this year. OT and QB are going to be later picks for me. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

As for the draft I’m looking early at a WR with SPEED. ARob is a stud and Miller was strong working opposite him in the 2nd half but neither really threatened vertically, and neither Ridley or Wims have that kind of speed either. I don’t think our primary vertical player can be 5’6” Cohen or 5’7” Gabriel.

23 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I want to see us come out of round 2 with a speed WR and an interior OL. I’d also add a RB at some point in the draft mid-late) IF we don’t add one in FA.

Absolutely agree. Since Pace/Nagy are willing to live and die with Mitch, then go OL/WR in the 2nd. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a trade-up to gain another 2nd or 3rd pick, either.

We obviously need a tackle, a WR who can take the top of the defense, and a RB who can get to the outside and has the speed and power to break on at any time. I like Mont, but he's not that.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Like I said in another thread, I don't think Robinson's extension will save much. 

Patterson, I thought about this. I was on board with letting him walk early-mid season, especially for 5m, but considering what he can do as a returner and gadget player I think it's worth one more year, imo.

Robinson will save money. They will reduce his cap hit this year and next and he will get a bunch of guaranteed money in his pocket.

It is why you extend him.