Who was the better prospect: Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf

Elky

Peyton Manning. I highly value intelligence and overall Football IQ. Not to mention Peyton had great height and a well above average arm. I also hate one year production most of the time. 

It was close though. If you were too young for ‘98, you’d probably think Manning in a landslide because of hindsight. It was highly debated I remember. 

And it’s not like Manning was viewed as the best prospect ever.. not even better than Luck. 

Best QB Prospects ever: 

1) Elway

2) Lawrence

3) Luck

4) Manning

So, Colts will get Lawrence by the natural law of things. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, BayRaider said:

Peyton Manning. I highly value intelligence and overall Football IQ. Not to mention Peyton had great height and a well above average arm. I also hate one year production most of the time. 

It was close though. If you were too young for ‘98, you’d probably think Manning in a landslide because of hindsight. It was highly debated I remember. 

And it’s not like Manning was viewed as the best prospect ever.. not even better than Luck. 

Best QB Prospects ever: 

1) Elway

2) Lawrence

3) Luck

4) Manning

So, Colts will get Lawrence by the natural law of things. 

If Peyton didn’t come back for his Sr season would he still be considered a generational prospect?  I remember the Jets thinking they were going to get him but Archie had concerns with Parcells being a QB killer.  What’s interesting is during Peyton’s tenure with the Colts the Jets made the playoffs a bunch of times with Testeverde, Pennington and Sanchez.  

On 1/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, seriously27 said:
On 1/11/2020 at 2:12 PM, SwoleXmad said:

Jamarcus Russell. Granted that's like 9 years from when Leaf busted but still. 

I know this is late but Brando Weeden says Hi!

Also Josh ROSEn better watch out! 

Sage Rosenfels (double whammy)

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

This was the quintessential matchup between high ceiling vs high floor. Leaf was thought to be the raw prospect with unlimited potential while Manning was the steadily great performer that was a relatively known commodity and as much a "sure thing" at qb as is possible. To answer the question, it depends on which you prefer, high ceiling or good ceiling with high floor. At the end of the day, there was a reason that Peyton was selected first.

• Like 1