Who was the better prospect: Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf

Elky

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Gravity said:

Are there any good 1 year QB college wonders that became NFL HOF caliber? I dont really follow college football.

He's not hall of fame but Cam Newton has been a pretty good player from his 1 year of production at Auburn.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, tom cody said:

Manning for me. Leaf had a bit of hype but Manning was better and of course turned out way better. 

Yup I said as such in Yahoo chat my senior year , Manning had his game face on all the way up and after the draft , Leaf had talent but he wasn't focused on being a Qb like Manning was 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 6:36 PM, Gravity said:

Are there any good 1 year QB college wonders that became NFL HOF caliber? I dont really follow college football.

I'd probably take it down from "HoF caliber" to "Pro Bowl level" and yeah, there have been a few. Kyler Murray looks like he's legit, as far as being a good NFL starter goes. But most often one year wonders are, to lift a phrase someone used about Joe Burrow, "hot rather than good" (the scout wasn't saying Burrow isn't good, just that considering Burrow was just OK for most of his college career, his amazing 2019 might've just been a season-long hot streak). 

And when you start looking back, the style of NFL vs college was so divorced as to make asseessments meaningless. Jim Kelly had, by today's standards, a single year that even looks presentable at Miami (1981 - 59% completion (good for its era), 8.4 yds/att, 14/14 td/int - not a great ratio even for then) but he was at worst a "Hall of Very Good" pro QB. 

As prospects, they were pretty much neck and neck. Manning looked and sounded the part, Leaf was more physically talented; at the '98 Draft, both were considered can't-miss guys. Then Leaf missed and became a cautionary tale for coaches, scouts, and draft junkies everywhere.