Can stop we stop throwing the Once in a generational Talent around?

mdonnelly21

28 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Prospect

• Trevor Lawrence
    • Andrew Luck

He's THE BEST talented QB since John Elway! 

That's what I heard about Andrew Luck coming out of college. 

"ONCE in a generational talent. Maybe the greatest QB prospect of all time." 

That was back in 2011-2012 not even 8 years ago today. 

Now all a sudden you hear that about Trevor Lawrence. 

Now he's considered "A generational talent" The greatest QB prospect of all time! 

So two-generational once in a lifetime talents within the span of a decade? 

Not buying it. I will be two of the better prospects and probably the two best of this decade but better off leaving the once in a lifetime prospects out of the equation. 

Edited by mdonnelly21
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You can't even call Trevor Lawrence a generational prospect because is he even a better prospect right now than Joe Burrow?

Luck was a generational prospect, but nothing more.

You will see that by many scouts and beat writers. 

John Burrow is going to go #1 hands down in this years draft. But very few have called him a generational talent like they have Trevor Lawrence 

• Like 1

With the average NFL career lasting not quite 3 years, I think that "generational" in football years should be 10 years. Therefore, both Adrian Peterson in 2007 and Saquon Barkley were "generational talents" 11 years apart...even though Barkely is no Nick Chubb. ;)

• Like 2

There was never a time when Burrow was a better prospect than Lawrence. TLaw hurt his standing at the start of the season, but nobody saw Burrow as a first-round talent at that point. Burrow impressed everybody, but TLaw has rehabbed his stock plus some in my eyes over the second half of this season. He's fantastic. Is he a perfect prospect? No. But would I rate him higher than Luck? Yep. Who from the past 20 years would I rate higher than him overall as a QB? Nobody.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

With the average NFL career lasting not quite 3 years, I think that "generational" in football years should be 10 years. Therefore, both Adrian Peterson in 2007 and Saquon Barkley were "generational talents" 11 years apart...even though Barkely is no Nick Chubb. ;)

Seconded. A generational prospect is the best prospect of their generation. Not a once-in-a-lifetime prospect. Those are two different things.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Seconded. A generational prospect is the best prospect of their generation. Not a once-in-a-lifetime prospect. Those are two different things.

Exactly. I mean, there will be 9 years in the draft between Luck (2012) and Lawrence (2021). Throw in that Lawrence will be a Junior and Luck was a senior, and that's 10 years. That's plenty of time to use "generational" without throwing it around.

• Like 1

I look at generational as athleticism. Whereas I would use “best since” in most other cases.

Barkley is a generational athlete at RB. Vick was generational. Lamar Jackson is a generational athlete at his position. Randy Moss was generational. Nelson is generational.

I know generational when I see it. I don’t see “generational” with Lawrence. I see a really good prospect that’s probably the SAFEST since Andrew Luck. But I don’t think what he legitimately represents is BETTER than Mahomes or Jackson.

Which is why I don’t believe you tank for any player. Especially when Justin Fields looks like he might represent a similar dominance level as TL at the next level.