Can stop we stop throwing the Once in a generational Talent around?

mdonnelly21

28 members have voted

1. 1. Better NFL Prospect

• Trevor Lawrence
    • Andrew Luck

I thought this thread was more general and was going to agree - seems like there are generational talents every draft. 

But nearly a decade apart? Eh, I’m comfortable enough calling them separate generations in the football world. Plus, I think it’s more of a scale-term than a time-term. Meaning, I think it’s a phrase used to describe how outrageous a guy is, instead of saying he’s literally only once every 20 some odd years. Brady and Manning were generational QBs (players, not prospects in Brady’s case), they just happened to play in the same era. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You can't even call Trevor Lawrence a generational prospect because is he even a better prospect right now than Joe Burrow?

Luck was a generational prospect, but nothing more.

I think if Trevor Lawrence was in this upcoming draft, there's a decent chance he'd go #1 overall over Burrow.  Heck, people still say if Tua wasn't hurt that he would be the #1 overall pick.

• Like 1

I think someone like Michael Vick fits into that type of category.  I think Vick entered college in 1998 and Lamar Jackson was born in 1997.  Jackson will probably also be viewed as a generational talent, especially if he continues his absurd success since he will be the MVP of the league in only his second season.

• Like 2

Well to be fair, a generation is about 7-10 years. This really hits home when dating someone that much younger/older than you.

So I have less problem with generational talents. As for life-time, I feel that's thrown around in a 30 year spectrum and adding 10 years for an infant to grow into someone who watches and understands the game. In that sense it's not completely out of whack looking at Dan Marino/Joe Montana and then Peyton Manning/Tom Brady.