The Search for a GM

zelbell

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Let’s be honest, the only reason you don’t take this job is ownership and his general impatience and incompetence.

Though that is true, I would also like to point out that Patton has done this twice before.

He pulled his name from consideration with the Miami Job and with the Jets? or Buffalo?

Honestly I would have been shocked if we landed him.

The good news is there wont be arguing with who the number one choice for a GM is now...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Great now we can hire a man who was in the front office of an 0-16 team. Can’t wait for sparq to tell us to draft devalve again. 

Berry was a part of the team but he wasn't in charge.

That being said everyone knew we were tanking except for Hue.

Hell Hue was the biggest reason for us tanking even when he didn't know about it!!!

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

didnt want to work under dipo. No surprise. He’s a snake in the grass. 

Lol I think people are making a MUCH bigger deal about DePodesta's role in the origination.

If I had to guess, it didn't work because Patton was highly sought after, and wants to leave for the right job, and Haslem has already fired what, 5 General Managers in 7 years?

Why would anyone highly coveted  take the chance to come here...

• Like 4

Just now, CBrownsman said:

Lol I think people are making a MUCH bigger deal about DePodesta's role in the origination.

If I had to guess, it didn't work because Patton was highly sought after, and wants to leave for the right job, and Haslem has already fired what, 5 General Managers in 7 years?

Why would anyone highly coveted  take the chance to come here...

This, all of it.

• Like 1

Damnn.

I had the following info early yesterday and a post (below the line) in the post editor queue thing but wasn't able to finish and send it this morning as I've been swamped at work.

Disregard all the wrong stuff about how "it's still likely to be official soon" blah blah blah as the news that Paton's withdrew from consideration has since been reported; however, the post included many conveyed info nuggets that point to what gave Paton pause amongst other things.  One of the viking's staffers and my fam have a strong relationship going back 14 years.

When the same information inevitably comes out in media follow-up stories from "insiders," I had it first.

-------------------

Info & Developments on the GM Search:

(info conveyed as of mid-day yesterday).

It's still likely to be done officially b/c of the 3 main parties all moving in the same direction (Stefanski, Paton, & DePo), but there was/is a problem during the 2nd in-person formal meeting that has given pause to Paton though one of the primary people set to come with him is optimistic that things will be resolved.

1.) Within 48-72 hours after the first interview, Paton (and Stefanski) were led to fully believe that the job was (Paton's) unofficially, and that multiple video teleconference and phone conversations would occur before the 2nd official in-person meeting set to further come to agreement on Paton's desired structural/organizational adjustments to the sports performance, salary cap, and sports psychology departments and roles.

2.) Paton's perception was that everyone left the 1st meeting thinking that there was surprisingly a good fit with him and DePodesta as well as others in the personnel and personnel support departments. The core issues were able to be talked through headed toward resolution. It was at some point thereafter the 1st meeting that Paton informed two Vikings personnel members set to come with him of his intention to accept the official offer pending contract and structural finalization when it was assumed to be presented.

3.) However, Paton felt the tone and vibe was starkly different and less committal during the 2nd meeting with JW and Chris Cooper rehashing prior thoroughly discussed points leaving Paton to be caught off-guard and assume that something changed drastically and that the flow of questioning and tone seemed as if the search team had their eyes set on someone else. Jimmy Haslam sat back and was not engaging. From Paton's perception Stefanski and DePodesta looked bewildered by the change in tone as well as they tried to steer things back on track. Throughout the day there were individual meetings amongst members on the search committee and support staff as well as with Paton and individual members of the search committee. As the day went on, the energy and consensus conversations shifted back to a feeling from Paton's perspective that things could still work out, but it was made clear that he no longer had an informal offer, he wasn't the lead for the position, and the decision-makers would need to think through his proposed changes.

4.) The out of nowhere and stark change in commitment and the seemingly aggressive shifts in mentality and demeanor drained Paton of his excitement and newly-forming trust. He has since put the vikings staffers in a holing pattern, informed them that he'll let them know his decision soon, and if it's a go he would be seeking an additional year of commitment from Browns ownership for his key staffers. He's also seeking a 6-year contract and a revision of Stefanski's contract to be amended to include additional year along with key commitment detailed in writing.

5.) Even with all of this, the viking staffer is cautiously optimistic that Paton, he, and another will be headed to the Browns soon officially. Customarily, Paton pulls his name out of consideration after 2nd interviews when he feels things aren't right (he's done so 3 times), but he hasn't done so yet because of Stefanski and DePodesta efforts along with the quality of discussions during the 1st and many other conversations that occurred before the 2nd meeting. There's also been some work done post-2nd meeting to assure Paton he's still highly coveted.

6.) I asked "what are the vikings staffers' percent chance that it still gets done"? The Answer: "They say George is 90% in still. He loves Stefanski and thinks he'll work well not just with Paul but others in the organization as well. George feels as though the Browns are only 60%-70% in. My guess is that it still happens as both sides have come too far, and it's a norm for various parts of ownership or search committees to be two foot in and two feet out at various points out throughout the hiring process."

Edited by Mind Character