Jump to content

The Search for a GM


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Good stuff.

The tl;dr version is he likes DePodesta, thinks he can be successful and hopes Haslam allows for proper alignment and shows patience.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s my final verdict on Sashi:

 

He may be the GOAT at acquiring assets, clearing up cap space, and stripping a team down. He gave us a really big safety net in the event that Dorsey may / may not have screwed things up.

 

However, I have no confidence in his ability to draft. 2016 was a disaster when you factor how many picks we had. 2017 got us Myles and Larry O. So those 2 alone save that draft. I think Njoku can still be a good player.

Edited by candyman93
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Here’s my final verdict on Sashi:

 

He may be the GOAT at acquiring assets, clearing up cap space, and stripping a team down. He gave us a really big safety net in the event that Dorsey may / may not have screwed things up.

 

However, I have no confidence in his ability to draft. 2016 was a disaster when you factor how many picks we had. 2017 got us Myles and Larry O. So those 2 alone save that draft. I think Njoku can still be a good player.

2016 isn’t nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

10/14 are still in the league/on rosters, that’s pretty damned good. It netted a Pro Bowler, 2 starting quality defensive ends as well as a 3th/4th receiver. 

If you told me a draft ended up netting a pro bowler, 3 total starters and 4-6 guys who will be getting a second contract, I’d be pretty happy with that tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Myles was a no brainer. I give him no more credit for that pick than I do Ballard for drafting luck. 

Reminds me of Chris Grant and Kyrie.

 

I mean.... I guess props for not drafting Derrick Williams instead...? That draft class was also ungodly loaded.

Edited by candyman93
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hindsight is 20/20.  It's easy to say Myles Garrett was a no brainer.  There were rumors of Mitchell Trubisky floating around.  At the time of the draft I don't recall Chicago getting killed for taking Trubisky over Watson, without even mentioning Mahomes.   The 49ers front office that is going to the Super Bowl, Lynch/ Shanahan, took Solomon Thomas at number 3.  The Titans took Corey Davis at 5.  None of the GM's  were fired. Despite these high level mistakes all three teams have made the playoffs.   I said it in another thread, Bill Belichick drafted Touchdown Tommy Vardel,  a fullback, at 9in his 2nd draft.  (Can you imagine what folks would be saying if Sashi did that?) One or two years is not enough time to judge a front office.  Sashi may have been good or terrible at picking players, most likely something in between, we do not have enough data to make an informed judgment.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

2016 isn’t nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

10/14 are still in the league/on rosters, that’s pretty damned good. It netted a Pro Bowler, 2 starting quality defensive ends as well as a 3th/4th receiver. 

If you told me a draft ended up netting a pro bowler, 3 total starters and 4-6 guys who will be getting a second contract, I’d be pretty happy with that tbh.

Yeah in the financial world you measure against a benchmark- fans dont do that round these parts.  Most drafts for all teams are pretty trash.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mistakey said:

Yeah in the financial world you measure against a benchmark- fans dont do that round these parts.  Most drafts for all teams are pretty trash.

I understand your argument, but hate it. So if you’re bad at drafting and don’t want to be aggressive in free agency..... how do you get talent? Coaching and scheme can only do so much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I understand your argument, but hate it. So if you’re bad at drafting and don’t want to be aggressive in free agency..... how do you get talent? Coaching and scheme can only do so much.

What we’re saying is they weren’t bad at drafting.

Netting a pro bowler, 3 starters and a rotational receiver isn’t a bad draft class.

The following year netted another Pro Bowler and 6 players who are starting caliber by year 3.  Thats a fantastic class by any measure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I understand your argument, but hate it. So if you’re bad at drafting and don’t want to be aggressive in free agency..... how do you get talent? Coaching and scheme can only do so much.

Well one way is to accumulate a bunch of picks and on the whole get more talent with the same average failure rate as the nfl. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What we’re saying is they weren’t bad at drafting.

Netting a pro bowler, 3 starters and a rotational receiver isn’t a bad draft class.

The following year netted another Pro Bowler and 6 players who are starting caliber by year 3.  Thats a fantastic class by any measure.

Schobert is a slightly above average LB (so average that he may not even be resigned) almost hard to believe he made a pro bowl

Ogbah and Nassib are the definition of average..(maybe shouldn't have been cut, but certainly not that good)

Higgins couldn't even see the field this past year

Kessler????

 

Everyone else suuuuuuuuucked, including our 1st pick Coleman

The definition of a below average draft. You have super low standards if you think this was a good draft.

 

Edited by big poppa pump
and the top 5 picks were top 100...awful
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Schobert is a slightly above average LB (so average that he may not even be resigned) almost hard to believe he made a pro bowl

Ogbah and Nassib are the definition of average..(maybe shouldn't have been cut, but certainly not that good)

Higgins couldn't even see the field this past year

Kessler????

 

Everyone else suuuuuuuuucked, including our 1st pick Coleman

The definition of a below average draft. You have super low standards if you think this was a good draft.

 

no, you have no perspective about how bad the rest of the leagues drafts on average are and have an inability to see a larger picture than the browns who you focus on

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...