The Search for a GM

zelbell

Just now, pnies20 said:

Did you watch the pats titans playoff game? Shelton was on roller skates. He is not good.

Didn't say he was any good now, but he was definitely good at stopping the run for us. That year our run defense was literally the only thing we were good at, and he was a pretty big reason why.

I'm not even saying he was worth a first round pick or anything, cause he's proven not to be. But he was a good run defender while he was here - he just didn't offer much else.

6 hours ago, DawgX said:

Uh... no it didn't.

Literally the only year our run defense was good was the last season Shelton was here.

from footballoutsiders and their stats ranking for defensive lines and what they give up pretty much on a per carry bases. From the stats ranking the Browns run defenses from Mid/Guard, the area Shelton would be directly connected too.

Shelton's last year they are rated top10 in that area. First year with out Shelton, they are rated in the top10. New England, the year before they got Shelton, they were rated in the bottom 10, the year they got Shelton they were bottom 10.

'15 and '16 the Browns were bottom 10 and Bottom 15 in that area. The biggest difference was Schobert became the starter in '17 and the Browns actually had  a LB who could play the run inside the tackles. Hell in '18 the run defense took a huge hit when Schobert missed tho few games. Could also credit the improvement in defending the run in that area by being a 4-3 scheme team and the emergence of Obunjobi

Shelton has been nothing more than a JAG.

Browns biggest issue when it comes to running the ball is not having the DEs and OLBs to actually defend Off tackle to outside run plays to actually force runners to go east and west 

Edited by buno67

Perhaps Paton isn’t the only ones with reservations about Haslam the Browns gig.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/reports-andrew-berry-weary-about-cleveland-browns-gm-job-because-of-frequent-front-office-turnover/95-99e95664-f69e-45fe-82cd-6757ad7dc590 

Id hope their top 2 targets wouldn’t take themselves out of the running, but it wouldn’t shock me at all.

He canned Banner after 2 years, Farmer after 2, Sashi after 2 and Dorsey after 2. 

I mean... 🤦‍♂️

If I’m interviewing I’m demanding a 6 year deal with escalators if I’m canned before completing 4 seasons. If that’s too rich for Jimmy, good luck with option C, D, etc.

53 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Perhaps Paton isn’t the only ones with reservations about Haslam the Browns gig.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/reports-andrew-berry-weary-about-cleveland-browns-gm-job-because-of-frequent-front-office-turnover/95-99e95664-f69e-45fe-82cd-6757ad7dc590 

Id hope their top 2 targets wouldn’t take themselves out of the running, but it wouldn’t shock me at all.

He canned Banner after 2 years, Farmer after 2, Sashi after 2 and Dorsey after 2. 

I mean... 🤦‍♂️

If I’m interviewing I’m demanding a 6 year deal with escalators if I’m canned before completing 4 seasons. If that’s too rich for Jimmy, good luck with option C, D, etc.

Just get a analytics geek who has the same vision as Depo / Stef and wants to get his foot in the door.

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just get a analytics geek who has the same vision as Depo / Stef and wants to get his foot in the door.

I’m as pro analytics as they come, but they need someone with actual FO/personnel experience.

If Berry is the guy they like, Jimmy needs to land him and do what’s necessary to make him comfortable with taking the job.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m as pro analytics as they come, but they need someone with actual FO/personnel experience.

If Berry is the guy they like, Jimmy needs to land him and do what’s necessary to make him comfortable with taking the job.

The Eliot Wolf situation is just weird to me. He must be a real oddball or this wouldn’t be that hard. Wonder if it would make sense to just do what Houston is doing. Have Depo be the final say so in the room. I’m just tired of **** leaking and causing drama. The less voices in the front office, the better.

Assistant general manager – Eliot Wolf

Vice president, player personnel – Alonzo Highsmith and Ken Kovash

Director, college scouting – Steve Malin

Director, pro scouting – Dan Saganey

Just now, candyman93 said:

The Eliot Wolf situation is just weird to me. He must be a real oddball or this wouldn’t be that hard. 

Odd, perhaps.  Perhaps nepotism has a limit for what a team is willing to hand him. He’s been passed over a good bit.

Wonder if it would make sense to just do what Houston is doing. Have Depo be the final say so in the room. I’m just tired of **** leaking and causing drama. The less voices in the front office, the better.

I don’t think DePo should or would want that role, he’s not a personnel guy. We need an actual GM, just someone who embraces analytics and is able to meld the numbers with the game.

Less voices can be good, but really the key is having guys in place who can have healthy discussion without making things personal or pouting when they don’t get their way.  Part of that is having organizational flow where one guy answers to the next, but Jimmy seems to know better than that...

Assistant general manager – Eliot Wolf

Vice president, player personnel – Alonzo Highsmith and Ken Kovash

Director, college scouting – Steve Malin

Director, pro scouting – Dan Saganey

I don’t know who half those guys are tbh.

I’d like Berry.  I like keeping Wolf around too, he seems to be at least some level of competent.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agree. Paton was my first choice, but at this point, if Berry is the guy we need a full court press to get him in the building. It probably works against us that he's been in the building and knows how much BS Haslam spews about continuity and getting it right, only to pull his twitchy trigger finger ten minutes later

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Agree. Paton was my first choice, but at this point, if Berry is the guy we need a full court press to get him in the building. It probably works against us that he's been in the building and knows how much BS Haslam spews about continuity and getting it right, only to pull his twitchy trigger finger ten minutes later

Especially as he was here with both Sashi and Dorsey.

I can only imagine the chaos he’s seen.

• Like 1