Penalty or no penalty?...

40Year Pack Fan

Forum members, I need a little clarification on NFL rules....My question pertains to the Minnesota Vikings/N.O. Saints game....In the fourth quarter of the game, Cousins threw a pick six (or the receiver fumbled after the reception) but the play got overturned....On the down, N.O.'s backup QB Teddy Bridgewater is clearly celebrating in the field of play running w/o his helmet on....My question is, why wasn't that a penalty?....Isn't that the equivalency of too many men on the field, or a guy not having his helmet on while the game is in play?....Both are clearly penalties....Was it due to it being a dead ball foul?....I don't readily recall for sure why the play was overturned....Any thoughts or explanations appreciated...

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reportedly-considering-rule-change-banning-players-from-running-onto-the-field-for-celebrations/

That article states the NFL is about to discuss clamping down on players running FROM the bench to celebrate with players. Which suggests it's not actually illegal? 

I can't find it in the rule book (not bothering to put A LOT of effort into that, if I'm honest). 

I've seen it happen before and players get away with it, so maybe it's fine. ATM.

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-reportedly-considering-rule-change-banning-players-from-running-onto-the-field-for-celebrations/

That article states the NFL is about to discuss clamping down on players running FROM the bench to celebrate with players. Which suggests it's not actually illegal? 

I can't find it in the rule book (not bothering to put A LOT of effort into that, if I'm honest). 

I've seen it happen before and players get away with it, so maybe it's fine. ATM.

Teddy was on the field before the Saint even crosses the goal line. This wasn’t a case of him celebrating from the bench, he became an active participant on the play, which should be a penalty for unsportsmanlike.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Teddy was on the field before the Saint even crosses the goal line. This wasn’t a case of him celebrating from the bench, he became an active participant on the play, which should be a penalty for unsportsmanlike.

Should be, but they don't throw. I remember Brady done this on an Edelman return. 

I’d have to see it, but depending on how far Teddy was from the play, the refs have a tendency to disregard the sidelines. Mike Tomlin of the Steelers once stepped on the field and inter feared with a Jacoby Jones of the Ravens run and no flag was thrown.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

This is a stretch IMO. What impact did he have on the play?

Was he really an “active participant” on the play, or was he just on the field as the play ended?

Edited by Dome

1 minute ago, Dome said:

This is a stretch IMO. What impact did he have on the play?

Was he really an “active participant” on the play, or was he just on the field as the play ended?

I’d consider it more of a player safety concern than a gamesmanship issue. Players on the field in the middle of play shouldn’t have to be concerned about activity from the bench. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d consider it more of a player safety concern than a gamesmanship issue. Players on the field in the middle of play shouldn’t have to be concerned about activity from the bench. 

They arent. Because this has been happening for a hundred years across thousands of games and it almost never ever interferes with anything. If it did interfere, the refs would call it. 

1 hour ago, Silver said:

I’d have to see it, but depending on how far Teddy was from the play, the refs have a tendency to disregard the sidelines. Mike Tomlin of the Steelers once stepped on the field and inter feared with a Jacoby Jones of the Ravens run and no flag was thrown.

Interfered is putting it lightly. He intentionally tripped Jones and got in trouble for it. It was way different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Interfered is putting it lightly. He intentionally tripped Jones and got in trouble for it. It was way different.

Well he didn't trip him or make contact but he did make him change his path to avoid him which caused him to get caught from behind and at the very least tackled sooner than he would have.

There was a Saint player later trying to leave the field but Rudolph pushed him back towards the field of play right before making a catch.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 2:28 PM, vikingsrule said:

Yeah I would consider it a safety issue as well....Brett Favre used to celebrate on the field minus his helmet, but that was prior to the rule change.....In fact he did it in the SB game against the Patriots.....

I agree with people saying it's a none issue, some guy happening to step onto the field, when the play is bascially over and he's miles away from the action shouldn't be a penalty. The player is not an "active particapant". To use the language of the old facemask rule - there's a difference between being on the field "incidentally", and being there deliberately. I totally agree with that.

BUT (and this is a personal bugbear of mine)

Shouldn't that mean the same thing the other way around? I HATE "12 men on the field" penalties, when the 12th defender is obviously going off the field, but still hasn't quite made it at the point of the snap. He's clearly not going to be any part of the play, therefore that should not be a penalty ever.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:03 PM, ChazStandard said:

I agree with people saying it's a none issue, some guy happening to step onto the field, when the play is bascially over and he's miles away from the action shouldn't be a penalty. The player is not an "active particapant". To use the language of the old facemask rule - there's a difference between being on the field "incidentally", and being there deliberately. I totally agree with that.

BUT (and this is a personal bugbear of mine)

Shouldn't that mean the same thing the other way around? I HATE "12 men on the field" penalties, when the 12th defender is obviously going off the field, but still hasn't quite made it at the point of the snap. He's clearly not going to be any part of the play, therefore that should not be a penalty ever.

I hate players being refs too, but that's not going to change any time soon.....However some players such as Rodgers like to try and gain an advantage in such instances....