NFL potentially moving to 17 game season in new CBA

.Buzz

18 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I just hate the idea of not having .500 or equal home-away game distribution. If you are going to add games, go all out and bump it up to 18, not this 17 crap. But I'm entirely against the idea of expanding the regular season. What happens now when a team like the Ravens locks up the conference? Even longer delay before playing their playoff game, enabling further rust and hindering the playoff product?

Terrible.

This. I’m all in favor of a 18 game season but this is my biggest complaint for a 17 game season. It literally makes no sense. 

As for a 18 game season, you guys are taking safety to extremes. Since CTE studies, the rules have changed, and padding is way better. And no hard hits allowed. It’s already a powder puff league. If players can’t handle an extra two games a year, they shouldn’t play football. They are getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars, the top 0.001% of the world, because they are risking their bodies. That’s why they get paid that much. Not to deliver good football, not to perform at a high level, they get paid these amounts because of the risk. And now all of a sudden they won’t risk it?

NFL will 100% have a 18 game season at some point. I say at the CBA after this. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

It sounds like in this case, as with most fans, they’ll cater to the new NFL. Whether that be at 16, 17 or 20 games. Is anyone really going to not be a fan over one more meaningful game played, and hopefully fewer preseason games?

No. No one outside this forum. Probably no one even on this forum, they just like to complain about new ideas until they become reality. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It sounds like in this case, as with most fans, they’ll cater to the new NFL. Whether that be at 16, 17 or 20 games. Is anyone really going to not be a fan over one more meaningful game played, and hopefully fewer preseason games?

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a fan of "one more meaningful game". What will be gained from one more game? They're just adding a game to monetize it. It doesn't add anything to the sport. You're at a perfect 16 game schedule with byes. Next its gonna be 30 games and the whole league makes the playoffs. It's just getting dumb, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a fan of "one more meaningful game". What will be gained from one more game? They're just adding a game to monetize it. It doesn't add anything to the sport. You're at a perfect 16 game schedule with byes. Next its gonna be 30 games and the whole league makes the playoffs. It's just getting dumb, in my opinion.

As a fan of the sport, id like 20 games. 

As a fan of the players 16 is plenty.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

As a fan of the sport, id like 20 games. 

As a fan of the players 16 is plenty.

Can you explain to me why? I'm really curious to know why. We have more than enough games. And as I said above, the NFL was the one sport to me that didn't have over-saturation like everyone else does. What is accomplished with a 20 game season? We already see how lame the Thursday Night Games are, but people want to add even more games? Seems outlandish to me, lol. But they're gonna add them so it doesn't even matter. Like I said, I'm on the out far as the NFL goes anyway.

Just now, RavensfanRD said:

Can you explain to me why? I'm really curious to know why. We have more than enough games. And as I said above, the NFL was the one sport to me that didn't have over-saturation like everyone else does. What is accomplished with a 20 game season? We already see how lame the Thursday Night Games are, but people want to add even more games? Seems outlandish to me, lol. But they're gonna add them so it doesn't even matter. Like I said, I'm on the out far as the NFL goes anyway.

I like watching the browns play, 17 is one more than 16. 20 is 4 more than 16. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I think 16 is the perfect number but my thinking is that the players can use game expansion as a way to get concessions from the NFL on things they want. Better retirement/healthcare, the league no longer slamming players for weed, etc. If that happens, the awkwardness of the 17th game can be worth it.