NFL potentially moving to 17 game season in new CBA

.Buzz

I really don't get what the complaint is. Yea, I hear both sides and interesting points (neither side are stupid points by any means). But it's more football. What's not to like? If the players, NFLPA, don't want it, they won't sign up for it. Don't think this isn't about money on both sides. The players will get more.

Edited by HDsportsfan

15 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Just curios, why you're saying this?

The NFLPA won't budge on games without a significant concession from the NFL, and the NFL likely wouldn't be willing to concede anything besides probably more money. 

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

The NFLPA won't budge on games without a significant concession from the NFL, and the NFL likely wouldn't be willing to concede anything besides probably more money. 

Money would be the biggest I would think. Serious "thinking out loud question". I wonder if marijuana is on the list. Or maybe a better discipline system? Better healthcare after retiring?

5 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Money would be the biggest I would think. Serious "thinking out loud question". I wonder if marijuana is on the list. Or maybe a better discipline system? Better healthcare after retiring?

I'd bet "positive marijuana tests in states where legal are exempt" would be the wording used but I'd imagine that's a bigger topic.

The NFL discipline system is something the NFLPA agreed to but it's probably on the list of things to re-do because Roger is so bad at it.

Another big one as well, one the NFL will probably cave on given they already have legally.

9 hours ago, Silver said:

Horrible idea, odd number. Not only that, preach safety and add a game? How about opening up the game day roster to 53 men over 46. Greed rules though, I should not be surprised. Will water down the product. Records become meaningless.

But hey hey, buy tickets and merchandise! 

Exactly.

This would suck worse than when they gave teams 2 byes a year. This "more is better" BS has gotten so old. But like someone else said greed rules.

2 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

I really don't get what the complaint is. Yea, I hear both sides and interesting points (neither side are stupid points by any means). But it's more football. What's not to like? If the players, NFLPA, don't want it, they won't sign up for it. Don't think this isn't about money on both sides. The players will get more.

16 games is enough for me. I wouldn't have liked another week with the cellar dwellers going at it for the top draft spot. I want the playoffs to start at that point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Dump the preseason and make it 18 games.  Each team gets a bye in week 5 or 6 and week 12 or 13.

Why would players want/agree to play two more games a season, for the same % of pay they would get for playing 16? Its Not happening unless that too is worked out in the players favor!

Edited by Nabbs4u

11 hours ago, August4th said:

not a fan of this, although it looks like the two sides are already close to a deal judging by that tweet..that's a good sign

will they remove the franchise tag and 5th year option though? How about RB's, will they be UFA a year earlier since it's known they have more injuries and wear and tear?

Edited by 3rivers

I'm more interested in finding out what the NFLPA would get in return for the extra game.  

I expect most of the people complaining about this change also complained when the 2-pt conversion was introduced and the kicker was moved back on XP's. 

Edited by Mazrimiv

It’s insane how football fans, especially on this site, are so against adding one game. Y’all act like it’s gonna cause players to somehow drop like flies.  Non-playoff teams would be playing 17 games, the same as any playoff team that A) lost in wildcard or B) had a bye but lost in divisional.  

I love this.  I think some of you are just way too against change.  And if it’s really about safety, then why not advocate for the NFL to go back to 14 games? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silver said:

Horrible idea, odd number. Not only that, preach safety and add a game? How about opening up the game day roster to 53 men over 46. Greed rules though, I should not be surprised. Will water down the product. Records become meaningless.

But hey hey, buy tickets and merchandise! 

If they are going to go with another game (and even if they don't) all guys on the roster should be able to dress and play. I've never understood why they have inactive lists every week.  This is the only pro sport that does this, right? 

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If they are going to go with another game (and even if they don't) all guys on the roster should be able to dress and play. I've never understood why they have inactive lists every week.  This is the only pro sport that does this, right? 

It’s to make it balanced.  What if a team can dress all 53 players but the other can only do 48 due to injuries?  

I don’t know about other sports, but the NFL I’m sure has the highest amount of injuries.  So the inactive list keeps it balanced.  If anything increase roster sizes, but no reason to get rid of the inactive list

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Remove one quarter of football, have 21 games with three quarters instead of 16 games with 4 quarters. 

That way owners can sell tickets to 5 more games a year and players play less actual time. 

I'm brilliant. 

Or maybe 12 minutes quarters rather than 15. 
Plus, you can't have 3 quarters, that would be thirds, then they'd call it "periods" just like hockey, and I wouldn't be able to "voice to text" anyone with what "period" the game's in because it would look like "what a great way to finish the." leaving mystery and uncertainty. We just can't have that in my social life. 

I like 2 bye weeks.
Furthermore, I think ALL  bye weeks need to be in a 2 week time period. 1/2 the league has week 8 off, the other 1/2 has week 9 off, and then they're done. Much more fair all the way around, and it gives a nice break right in the middle of the season.

This current BS where one team has a week 4 bye, and another has a week 11 bye is just stupid, and in my opinion, an unfair advantage for the later.

• Like 1