NFL potentially moving to 17 game season in new CBA

.Buzz

I don't want more regular season games. What we love is playoffs games. Give me more playoffs games. This is just so darn entertaining. We don't need more preseason games. We don't need more regular season games. Add a round of playoffs, and kill the probowl the week before the Superbowl. Or have the probowl later in february for all I care. Have all major sports all-star game at the same time and do cross-overs. We'll finally see if Lebron would have been a great football player. We'll finally see [insert despicable baseball player] get hip-checked by Ovechkin. We can have a big long-drive contest against Dustin Johnson, and see offensive linemen figure skate. Mid february... it's the Olympics! More cross-overs!!

But no more regular season games. Anything but more regular season games.

• Like 1

Pass.

As much as I want more football, do 18 or keep it at 16.

I can already hear all of the complaining with "Well they made the playoffs because they had 9 home games and we had 9 road games! NOT FAIR!"

And I think 16 games is too many games to play at neutral sites like Mexico, London, Toronto, etc. so 16 teams are getting the shaft every year unless all division teams play game 17 on the road one year and at home the next year.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I don't want more regular season games. What we love is playoffs games. Give me more playoffs games. This is just so darn entertaining. We don't need more preseason games. We don't need more regular season games. Add a round of playoffs, and kill the probowl the week before the Superbowl. Or have the probowl later in february for all I care. Have all major sports all-star game at the same time and do cross-overs. We'll finally see if Lebron would have been a great football player. We'll finally see [insert despicable baseball player] get hip-checked by Ovechkin. We can have a big long-drive contest against Dustin Johnson, and see offensive linemen figure skate. Mid february... it's the Olympics! More cross-overs!!

But no more regular season games. Anything but more regular season games.

Probowl should remain, the skill challenges are fun to watch, but the NFL already screwed up moving it from Hawaii, no one wants to play in Orlando bruh

And another round of playoffs would be nice, just remove one preseason game

• Like 1

21 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Who is the other opponent? 

This sucks for those of us with OCD that love the symmetry of every team playing 4 first, second, third and fourth place finishers from the previous season...

probably a cross conference matchup in a division you aren't already playing.

in the past I thought having a designated rival team made sense...but i think the league would rather just have 16 games they can play with for neutral site games.
So you could more easily fit schedules together too.

You could do like 5 in the UK, 3 in Germany (or other European countries), 2 in Canada, 2 in Mexico City, , and the other 4 be in the US at different venues.
Special events like Eagles vs Steelers up at Penn State

Would be interesting to see the league try to implement the international schedule around Thursday games and the bye week.  Every international game is played on Thursday night, with both teams coming off a bye week.  So both teams get extra recovery time before and after playing the international game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I could live with 17 games. The devil is in the details.

Extra game in exchange for:

- No more weed bans
- A second bye week
- Better retirement plans
- Nuking the franchise tag/5th Year option

It ruins the symmetry that we have with a 16 week regular season but I think this would be preferable to the system we have in place now.

Add a whole new 16 game season.  About a month after SB start the 2nd season. 

Cut preseason to two games. 

Expanded rosters for both seasons.

If you miss games during 1st regular season, you can make up games during 2nd regular season.  But only 16 games combined. 

1/2 salary cap for 2nd season to keep regular 1st nfl season from being deluded. 

No wildcards for 2nd playoffs, division winners only.

I haven't really thought this through so I'm sure there are problems,  but I hate the idea of adding games.

• Like 1

So the schedule currently is:

6 Division games

4  games against a rotating AFC Division

4 games against a rotating NFC Division

2 games against the teams in your conference from other divisions that finished the same slot in their division as you did in yours. IE: 2nd place NFC North team plays 2nd place NFC East and 2nd Place NFC South team in years where you play the NFC West. 

+++

If you really wanted to add parity and foster rivalries, you add a 3rd game against the similar division finishers. So you would play one team in your conference twice outside of your division. 

That would give you:

Saints vs. Packers

49ers vs. Eagles

Patriots vs. Chiefs

Ravens vs. Texans

as the extra games for the first place teams.

Edited by AlexGreen#20