NFL potentially moving to 17 game season in new CBA

.Buzz

I just hate the idea of not having .500 or equal home-away game distribution. If you are going to add games, go all out and bump it up to 18, not this 17 crap. But I'm entirely against the idea of expanding the regular season. What happens now when a team like the Ravens locks up the conference? Even longer delay before playing their playoff game, enabling further rust and hindering the playoff product?

Terrible.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I just hate the idea of not having .500 or equal home-away game distribution. If you are going to add games, go all out and bump it up to 18, not this 17 crap. But I'm entirely against the idea of expanding the regular season. What happens now when a team like the Ravens locks up the conference? Even longer delay before playing their playoff game, enabling further rust and hindering the playoff product?

Terrible.

Wouldn't the longer season percent teams from locking things up earlier?

58 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Terrible.

It really shouldn't impact that. Ravens locked it up after week 16, because they were 13-2 and the Pats were 12-3, and could at best tie it with one game left, and the Ravens had head-to-head. If you add a game, make it 18 weeks, then week 17 would matter (if Bal lost weeks 17 and 18, ended 13-4, and the Pats won out, ended 14-3, the Pats would win the conference.) So with an added week, the Ravens wouldn't have locked it up until after week 17, instead of week 16. So you get one week that doesn't matter either way.

Locking up a spot generally has more to do with number of games left, than number of games played.

5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Terrible.

No one has definitively proven that playoff "rust" is anything more than a talking point. In 2009 the Colts rested guys and still made it to the Super Bowl.

17 games are just dumb. I hate that every sport are trying to continue to add more games. Especially Goodell and the clowns in the NFL Office who really want to shove the NFL down my throat 365. Like, relax, give me a chance to miss the game. But they'll continue to over-saturate the game until I completely don't care anymore. Pretty close as-is, but this definitely won't help.

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

17 games are just dumb. I hate that every sport are trying to continue to add more games. Especially Goodell and the clowns in the NFL Office who really want to shove the NFL down my throat 365. Like, relax, give me a chance to miss the game. But they'll continue to over-saturate the game until I completely don't care anymore. Pretty close as-is, but this definitely won't help.

It's been 8 years since MLB added any games, and that was a grand total of 2 games as a wild card play-in game.

It's been 17 years since the NBA added any games and that was changing the first round of the playoffs from a best of 5 series, to a best of 7 series.

It's been 42 years since the NFL added any games and that was going to 16 games from 14 games and adding a second wild card game. 

For all your complaining, there hasn't been a significant change to a major sporting league's schedule in some adults' lifetime. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I just hate the idea of not having .500 or equal home-away game distribution.

There's no guarantee that you wouldn't have a .500 equal home-away game distribution.  The 17th game just has to be a neutral site game and voila, you have an equal home-away distribution.  I imagine, at least initially, they could play the neutral site games at either Toronto, Mexico City, or London (I'd like to see them work in either Munich or Berlin though, because the Germans love American football).  

Edited by swede700

15 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Terrible.

17 games with 1 at neutral, non-US sites actually makes sense. 

Could have 16 games every year outside of the country to be that game. Could use sites like:

London X4 (Jaguars would be a permanent fixture) (2x Wembley, 2x Hotspur)

Mexico City X2 (Raiders would be a permanent fixture) (2x Estadio Azteca)

Barcelona, Spain (Camp Nou)

Dortmund, Germany (Signal Iduna Park)

Dublin, Ireland (Croke Park)

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (Estádio do Maracanã)

Buenos Aires, Argentina (Estadio Monumental Antonio Vespucio Liberti)

Toronto, Canada (Bills-Lions feels right here)

Rome, Italy (Stadio Olimpico)

Edinburgh, Scotland (Murrayfield Stadium)

Edmonton (Commonwealth Stadium)

Oakland (Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

It sounds like in this case, as with most fans, they’ll cater to the new NFL. Whether that be at 16, 17 or 20 games. Is anyone really going to not be a fan over one more meaningful game played, and hopefully fewer preseason games?