NFL potentially moving to 17 game season in new CBA

.Buzz

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Didn't read entire thread. How do they decide the 17th game?

those 16 new games will be the new pool used for international/neutral site games.

I think they might just use them to balance SOS some, but I'm sure they will be choosy with a couple of them.
My guess is they will all be inter-conference. That way you don't have say the Saints losing a playoff spot to the Rams because they had an extra game against an AFC team.

I think having it be a fixed rival makes sense in some cases. Like every year we get a battle of New York... Steagles Bowl, Fight for Texas, etc etc. But there are always teams that have no real natural rival like that. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

So would the season start a week earlier or go a week further into January.

I want my week 1 Labour Day weekend back.

think the plan is still the week after Labor day.

and with the extra bye and everything the Super Bowl would be late February.

Sept 2020

10th - Chiefs open the Season

October

• Week 4 - Byes start, each team now has two. No team will have their byes less than 5 games apart

January 2021

• 24th - Last Sunday of the regular season
  • 30-31st Wildcard Weekend 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 seeds play each other,  Seed 1s have a bye

February 2021

• 6-7th - Divisional Round - like now, 1st seeds play lowest seed remaining. The second highest seed would get a home game.
  • 13-14th - Championship Weekend - Top remaining teams battle it out for the superbowl. Play Shrine game on Saturday
  • 18th - NFL Honors
  • 20-21st - Pro Bowl and Senior Bowl games.
  • 28th - Super Bowl 55 in Tampa Bay

March

• 22nd-28th NFL Combine in Indy
  • 24th Franchise tags or whatever the new system in is due

April

• 5th - Start of Legal Tampering
  • 8th - New league year begins, as does Free Agency
  • Mid-Month - OTAs team workouts
  • 29th - May 1st - NFL Draft (though I thing we might see them bumping it a week back)

May - June

• Mid-month - start of June - Rookie minicamps and OTAs.

July - August

• July 25th - Aug 7th- Teams report to camp.
  • 16-19th - The newly mandated Scrimmages, leading up to the 1st preseason game Aug 19th-22nd)
  • 26th-30th Week 2 of the Preseason

September

• 2nd-4th - Final week of Preseason
  • 9th - Super Bowl 54 Champ hosts the Season Opening Game.
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, bzane said:

Hmmmm- will all 17 of the Jaguars' games be played in London?

What is the Inside Buzz around Jacksonville??

20111214-khan2.jpg?w=737&h=430&crop=1

I think we might see them be gone from the US for almost a month sometimes.

Give up two home games in London, plus go play another team in say Berlin. then get a bye.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, August4th said:

I can see networks wanting the ability to create match-ups for the 17th/ neutral site game instead of a fixed/rotating scheduling rule. it would be maximizing TV ratings over a fair/balanced schedule

Makes the most sense..cause they could choose those fixed matchups still that make sense.
I think this way also opens the door if there is ever expansion and reshuffling of the divisions. You can keep rivalries alive a bit.

23 hours ago, Kiltman said:

those 16 new games will be the new pool used for international/neutral site games.

I think they might just use them to balance SOS some, but I'm sure they will be choosy with a couple of them.
My guess is they will all be inter-conference. That way you don't have say the Saints losing a playoff spot to the Rams because they had an extra game against an AFC team.

I think having it be a fixed rival makes sense in some cases. Like every year we get a battle of New York... Steagles Bowl, Fight for Texas, etc etc. But there are always teams that have no real natural rival like that. 

I'd be cool with it being a random (non divisional) opponent that is figured out when they make the schedule.

It'll never happen but its fun to think of.

But a 17 game season isn't likely until next offseason anyways.

• Like 1

With the potential of having up to 8 London games each year, the NFL could have incentive to sell these games as a separate TV package with the idea of all of them being played at 9:30 AM ET (1:30 or 2:30 PM in London) as a lead-in to the regular Sunday slate on CBS and Fox. The network most likely to get such a package is ABC who more or less currently lacks NFL rights. By having the games on ABC it avoids the possibility of overtime pre-empting the start of the 1 PM games on CBS or Fox (the Skins-Bengals game went to OT a few years back, but my local Fox affiliate was not allowed to televise a 1 PM game that day because the Browns were at home at the same time).

Edited by pf9

The 17-game schedule also brings the opportunity for markets without an NFL team of their own to host an occasional NFL game.

I had this idea well before the NFL thought of it. Some teams can play games in other markets which are part of their territory, like these:

Atlanta - Sanford Stadium (Athens, U. Georgia)
Carolina - Carter–Finley Stadium (Raleigh, NC State), Kenan Memorial Stadium (Chapel Hill, UNC)
Chicago and Indianapolis - Notre Dame Stadium (South Bend, UND)
Cincinnati and Cleveland - Ohio Stadium (Columbus, OSU)
Dallas - Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium (Austin, U. Texas)
Detroit - Michigan Stadium (Ann Arbor, U. Michigan)
Green Bay - Camp Randall Stadium (Madison, U. Wisconsin)
Houston - Kyle Field (College Station, TAMU)
Jacksonville - Doak Campbell Stadium (Tallahassee, FSU)
Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa Bay - Camping World Stadium (Orlando)
Kansas City - Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, NE, U. Nebraska) and Dome at America's Center (St. Louis)
LA Chargers and LA Rams - SDCCU Stadium (San Diego)
New Orleans - Tiger Stadium (Baton Rouge, LSU)
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh - Beaver Stadium (University Park, PSU)
Seattle - BC Place (Vancouver)
Tampa Bay - Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Gainesville, U. Florida)
Tennessee - Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium (Memphis) and Neyland Stadium (Knoxville, U. Tennessee)

Many of these stadiums host college football, and being able to host a game from these teams would bring in extra revenue for the universities hosting them. In Camping World Stadium's case, they can sell their NFL games (hosted by the Bucs, Fins, and Jags) as either individual games or a package. I also believe a lot of Lions fans would love to go to The Big House for a Lions game.

Many of the colleges listed here can have their football traditions take place at the NFL games too (like "dotting the I" at Bengals and Browns games held at OSU).

Edited by pf9
  • Like 3

On 2/17/2020 at 4:00 PM, RavensfanRD said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a fan of "one more meaningful game". What will be gained from one more game? They're just adding a game to monetize it. It doesn't add anything to the sport. You're at a perfect 16 game schedule with byes. Next its gonna be 30 games and the whole league makes the playoffs. It's just getting dumb, in my opinion.

The NFL is a business, first and foremost. For better or worse. Fans need to accept this.

• Like 1