NFL potentially moving to 17 game season in new CBA

.Buzz

On 2/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, Kiltman said:

I think having it be a fixed rival makes sense in some cases. Like every year we get a battle of New York... Steagles Bowl, Fight for Texas, etc etc. But there are always teams that have no real natural rival like that. 

But what about when the NFC East plays the AFC North by default once each 4 years? Would they just make it some other team?

On 2/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, Kiltman said:

I think having it be a fixed rival makes sense in some cases. Like every year we get a battle of New York... Steagles Bowl, Fight for Texas, etc etc. But there are always teams that have no real natural rival like that. 

Some teams have those kinds of rivals, but the only rivals my team has (Atlanta) is New Orleans and Carolina. There just isn't much bad blood with other AFC teams for us.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:51 PM, Kiltman said:

February 2021

• 6-7th - Divisional Round - like now, 1st seeds play lowest seed remaining. The second highest seed would get a home game.
  • 13-14th - Championship Weekend - Top remaining teams battle it out for the superbowl. Play Shrine game on Saturday
  • 18th - NFL Honors
  • 20-21st - Pro Bowl and Senior Bowl games.
  • 28th - Super Bowl 55 in Tampa Bay

March

• 22nd-28th NFL Combine in Indy
  • 24th Franchise tags or whatever the new system in is due

April

• 5th - Start of Legal Tampering
  • 8th - New league year begins, as does Free Agency
  • Mid-Month - OTAs team workouts
  • 29th - May 1st - NFL Draft (though I thing we might see them bumping it a week back)

3 fewer weeks from the end of the season until the draft? Sign me up.

• Like 2

Just now, Hukos said:

Some teams have those kinds of rivals, but the only rivals my team has (Atlanta) is New Orleans and Carolina. There just isn't much bad blood with other AFC teams for us.

yeah exactly, that's why it falls apart...some of them are forced or there is just no team left.

Like for Atlanta if you had to make a rival, I guess you'd choose the Titans? I don't know.

I think you just keep it as an out of conference game, if they want to make it a regional rivalry for some of the games they can.

Now, usually both Conference Championship games are played on Sunday

However, if both the Giants and Jets need MetLife Stadium that weekend, or if the Rams and Chargers both need SoFi Stadium, then one of the CCGs will have to be played on Saturday.

The only time something like this ever occurred was in 1985, when both the Giants and Jets needed Giants Stadium for wild card Sunday and there were only 10 playoff teams then. Thus, one of the wild card games had to be played on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, pf9 said:

Now, usually both Conference Championship games are played on Sunday

However, if both the Giants and Jets need MetLife Stadium that weekend, or if the Rams and Chargers both need SoFi Stadium, then one of the CCGs will have to be played on Saturday.

The only time something like this ever occurred was in 1985, when both the Giants and Jets needed Giants Stadium for wild card Sunday and there were only 10 playoff teams then. Thus, one of the wild card games had to be played on Saturday.

Saw that on the Playoff wiki, never really thought about it...luckily it shouldn't be a problem for awhile in NY

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

So w/ them voting against the proposal 6-5, what happens now? Is this dead?

Please be dead. I hope the NFLPA flat out refuses to put players through this extra wear and tear unless they clearly get the better of the deal (which is not to say the NFL wouldn't still profit a ton, but sure seems like they always come out on top over the NFLPA)... and then I'm hoping the NFL refuses to agree to any deal they "lose", and we keep our 16 games. 7 game playoffs I am opposed to as well but that won't shake up my world too much. 17 games though... record books get re-written and 1978-2020 seasons now need extra work to compare to 2021-xxxx seasons, no more ".500", we completely have to retrain our brains to what each record indicates. Right now, you can generally get a very good feel for a team and the season they had based on 2 numbers ("13-3", "10-6", etc.) but 17 games? 13-4!? What even is that team? World of difference between 13-3 and 12-4. Stop this madness!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dodo said:

The 32-man board needs a majority approval, not unanimous.

Yeah I'm reading up more on this on Reddit. I am completely naive to this stuff so just trying to figure it out. The THC thing and the playoff thing I'm all for. I don't like increasing the season though. I'm one that like history and records and whatnot. Increasing the season by a game would start brand new leaving history untouchable. I'm probably and odd-man-out on this subject but that's just how I feel about it.

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Please be dead. I hope the NFLPA flat out refuses to put players through this extra wear and tear unless they clearly get the better of the deal (which is not to say the NFL wouldn't still profit a ton, but sure seems like they always come out on top over the NFLPA)... and then I'm hoping the NFL refuses to agree to any deal they "lose", and we keep our 16 games. 7 game playoffs I am opposed to as well but that won't shake up my world too much. 17 games though... record books get re-written and 1978-2020 seasons now need extra work to compare to 2021-xxxx seasons, no more ".500", we completely have to retrain our brains to what each record indicates. Right now, you can generally get a very good feel for a team and the season they had based on 2 numbers ("13-3", "10-6", etc.) but 17 games? 13-4!? What even is that team? World of difference between 13-3 and 12-4. Stop this madness!

Why are you opposed to 7 team playoffs? It only gives one more team, one more game as I understand it.

Edited by JTagg7754

41 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The 17-game schedule also brings the opportunity for markets without an NFL team of their own to host an occasional NFL game.

I had this idea well before the NFL thought of it. Some teams can play games in other markets which are part of their territory, like these:

Atlanta - Sanford Stadium (Athens, U. Georgia)
Carolina - Carter–Finley Stadium (Raleigh, NC State), Kenan Memorial Stadium (Chapel Hill, UNC)
Chicago and Indianapolis - Notre Dame Stadium (South Bend, UND)
Cincinnati and Cleveland - Ohio Stadium (Columbus, OSU)
Dallas - Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium (Austin, U. Texas)
Detroit - Michigan Stadium (Ann Arbor, U. Michigan)
Green Bay - Camp Randall Stadium (Madison, U. Wisconsin)
Houston - Kyle Field (College Station, TAMU)
Jacksonville - Doak Campbell Stadium (Tallahassee, FSU)
Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa Bay - Camping World Stadium (Orlando)
Kansas City - Memorial Stadium (Lincoln, NE, U. Nebraska) and Dome at America's Center (St. Louis)
LA Chargers and LA Rams - SDCCU Stadium (San Diego)
New Orleans - Tiger Stadium (Baton Rouge, LSU)
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh - Beaver Stadium (University Park, PSU)
Seattle - BC Place (Vancouver)
Tampa Bay - Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (Gainesville, U. Florida)
Tennessee - Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium (Memphis) and Neyland Stadium (Knoxville, U. Tennessee)

Many of these stadiums host college football, and being able to host a game from these teams would bring in extra revenue for the universities hosting them. In Camping World Stadium's case, they can sell their NFL games (hosted by the Bucs, Fins, and Jags) as either individual games or a package. I also believe a lot of Lions fans would love to go to The Big House for a Lions game.

Many of the colleges listed here can have their football traditions take place at the NFL games too (like "dotting the I" at Bengals and Browns games held at OSU).

I think we will see a lot of these within the first 5 years of the 17 game schedule.

If I'm the NFL, I want these 16 games (+ whatever the Jags are giving up) to serve 3 masters.

International
It makes sense to expand beyond London, revisit the German market that took to NFL Europe the most.
Paris, Denmark, Barcelona, etc....as well as Toronto, Mexico City. You can really load up on these now

Domestic Events
Like you said, there are a ton of stadiums that could work for a neutral site game. 
Having games in Historic college stadiums (Pitt/PHL at Beaver Stadium, Lions at the Big House) makes all kinds of sense, but you could also get stuff like a game at Yankee Stadium.

Expansion Testing
Test underserved or just secondary markets. How much interest and support could be drummed up in possible expansion cities? 
Places like Toronto, Portland, San Antonio, OKC, Orlando,...going back to St. Louis

if they can do a couple for each thing every year I think it'll be a good way forward. Not too much of any of them, a nice balance.