How long until North Dakota State goes FBS?

beekay414

45 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Personally, I think it's time they go up. They are on the verge of their 8th FCS title since 2011. They could probably win the Sun Belt as it stands. Honestly believe they could compete in the MAC too. 

2nd place in ACC too fwiw.

• Like 2

Mountain West could use another solid program. 

Only hurdle I see their location. They're not in a particularly great place for building up a program (like USF, App St, Coastal Carolina, or South Alabama did). Then again, Lubbock is no prize either and TTech has had its moments too. 

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mountain West could use another solid program. 

Only hurdle I see their location. They're not in a particularly great place for building up a program (like USF, App St, Coastal Carolina, or South Alabama did). Then again, Lubbock is no prize either and TTech has had its moments too. 

There are quite a few FBS schools in crap locations. For example, the entire MAC conference lol. Hell, half the Big 12 is in no man's land.

10 hours ago, TENINCH said:

North Dakota would be buried within a year or two. Most of those kids are from Minnesota and the surrounding states. A kid from Ohio, Texas, Florida, California isn't going to bother playing up there.

If in the right conference they wouldn’t get buried. While the bulk of their recruits are local they already have a connection to Florida and have pulled several kids from there in recent years. They used to have a connection to Houston but that left with the changes in coaching staff. So it’s not impossible. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beekay414 said:

How did Trey Lance only have three FBS offers? Wish he would've gone to Boise State. Other offers were Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

From what I remember of Lance’s recruitment he wasn’t looked at as a QB from the FBS schools. I know the Gophers wanted him as a safety. Can’t say for sure about the others. 

6 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

From what I remember of Lance’s recruitment he wasn’t looked at as a QB from the FBS schools. I know the Gophers wanted him as a safety. Can’t say for sure about the others. 

On 1/11/2020 at 3:14 PM, beekay414 said:

How did Trey Lance only have three FBS offers? Wish he would've gone to Boise State. Other offers were Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

I watched the broadcast yesterday and I thought they said he got a late offer from Boise State, but he had already committed to NDSU and decided to stay with the Bison.

I don’t think they will be moving up. They very well could compete in the MAC, Sunbelt, MWC, etc. but their media market is limited. They also would likely have to build a new stadium. Seating capacity as is stand at about 19,000 and expansion isn’t really feasible. 

With the amount of money they have to be pulling in from their success, a new stadium is a distinct possibility if they indeed move up.  As people have said, put them in the right situation, and they could do well.  They have nothing left to accomplish at their current level, but it will be tough going.  It's a different story, but my cousin was on the staff for Charlotte when they started their program, and it's some lean years at the beginning.  At least North Dakota State wouldn't be starting with a blank slate like Charlotte did.