How long until North Dakota State goes FBS?

beekay414

11 hours ago, pf9 said:

They won't.

NDSU wants to stay with the other Dakota schools now that the Fighting Hawks are joining the MVFC.

I don’t believe this is a big factor in their decision. They left UND behind when they moved up from D2. And the only reason they wanted to move up with other schools at that time was so they could fill their own conference. If they moved up to FBS they would be invited into a conference and would need partners to make the move. This decision comes down to the financials. 

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With the amount of money they have to be pulling in from their success, a new stadium is a distinct possibility if they indeed move up.  As people have said, put them in the right situation, and they could do well.  They have nothing left to accomplish at their current level, but it will be tough going.  It's a different story, but my cousin was on the staff for Charlotte when they started their program, and it's some lean years at the beginning.  At least North Dakota State wouldn't be starting with a blank slate like Charlotte did.  

They have made a lot of money off their recent success but not enough to completely rebuild a 30,000+ seat stadium. And as far as a new stadium goes they would likely have to buy a new plot of land since the plot that the Fargodome sits on now, when parking is added wouldn’t be big enough for a facility of that size. I’m not sure if I want to see them move up or not. Is it better to be the king at the FCS level or be a Central Michigan type are the FBS level? 

9 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

I don’t believe this is a big factor in their decision. They left UND behind when they moved up from D2. And the only reason they wanted to move up with other schools at that time was so they could fill their own conference. If they moved up to FBS they would be invited into a conference and would need partners to make the move. This decision comes down to the financials. 

There were a lot of hard feelings when NDSU and SDSU moved up without UND and USD.

None of them want to go through that again.

1 hour ago, pf9 said:

There were a lot of hard feelings when NDSU and SDSU moved up without UND and USD.

This, I think there's a feeling that now most of the teams from the old NCC conference I grew up with are in the MVFC, or at least the ones that matter that this is where they belong. I could be wrong, IDK. Just feels like they'd rather keep wining FCS titles than 7-8 games, not that they couldn't win more than in FBS or anything.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

This, I think there's a feeling that now most of the teams from the old NCC conference I grew up with are in the MVFC, or at least the ones that matter that this is where they belong. I could be wrong, IDK. Just feels like they'd rather keep wining FCS titles than 7-8 games, not that they couldn't win more than in FBS or anything.

The only non-Dakota school from the NCC in the MVFC is Northern Iowa. The only other ex-NCC school aligned with the Dakota schools in any sport is Omaha, who dropped football as they moved up to D1 (had they kept football the Summit League might be sponsoring the sport next year they might soon add football if Augustana and St. Thomas are approved for D1 membership and the Summit League could absorb the MVFC plus add Duquesne as the 14th football school).

30 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The only non-Dakota school from the NCC in the MVFC is Northern Iowa. The only other ex-NCC school aligned with the Dakota schools in any sport is Omaha, who dropped football as they moved up to D1 (had they kept football the Summit League might be sponsoring the sport next year they might soon add football if Augustana and St. Thomas are approved for D1 membership and the Summit League could absorb the MVFC plus add Duquesne as the 14th football school).

Don't pay attention that close these days, does it sound like the St Thomas and Augie things are happening? Last I heard it sounded like Augustana was nearly a done deal. You're def more up on this than me, this is just what I catch on local sports radio in the car.

Duquesne is the only school that makes sense for the Summit as #14 in football.

Several scholarship FCS football programs (not just in the MVFC) hold associate membership in a conference for football. But of those schools, Duquesne is the only one that makes geographic sense. And they are one of the better football teams in the NEC. They were successful as a non-scholarship program, and after a slow start they are doing well as a limited-scholarship program. Duquesne is also in Pittsburgh, an area geographically, economically. and culturally tied to the Midwest.

15 hours ago, pf9 said:

I was at NDSU during the transition. The hard feelings came from one side. NDSU gave UND every opportunity to make the move with them. I don’t see hard feelings being a factor in an FBS move.