Any Bowlers Here?

bigbadbuff23835

I actually just joined a league a couple of weeks ago, and it's really fun. I started bowling consistently last year and it's a great way to get the competitive edge out. I'm looking for any tips on balls, or any other discussion really.

I currently have the Storm Fight ball, which is awesome but I'm looking at getting another one and I'm looking for recommendations.

Thoughts?

I use to bowl quite a bit.  Since I bought my house I haven't done it as much as I would like.  Usually if I go, I'm with my niece. 

A few tips: Use the heaviest ball that you can control.  Don't use a 16 pound ball just because it's the heaviest. 

Spares, go for the lowest number pin, you'll have the best chance of making spares. 

Always remember to have fun.  Leagues are a good way to meet new people, and improve your game. 

On 9/16/2017 at 11:40 AM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I currently have the Storm Fight ball, which is awesome but I'm looking at getting another one and I'm looking for recommendations.

It really depends on how you bowl.  You'll want to go to a local pro shop and make friends with the pro there.  They can ask you questions about how your technique, grip, how the ball responds, etc and recommend a ball and finger placement based on that.

I used to bowl quite a bit back in college, when i could get lanes for $1/game.  Now that i'm a full adult ( :( ) and have to pay full price, plus have two little kids, i rarely go.  I've talked with friends about starting a team in a league, but we're all too busy at this stage in our lives.  Seems it's a game for 40+ and up adults.

20 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Also depends if you hook the ball or a straight bowler. I see people in fun leagues by agressive balls but still throw it straight and is just a waist.

Also the age thing is definitely not true. I bowl 5 man, 36 team league and half the league is probably under 35.

Maybe it's just my area.  When i go to open bowling after leagues, i see mostly 50+ year olds leaving the league play.

Good call on the hook or straight.  I was just assuming hook.  If you bowl straight, just get a heavy ball that you can throw reasonably hard and have fun.  No sense in investing in anything other a cheap plastic ball and shoes.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Maybe it's just my area.  When i go to open bowling after leagues, i see mostly 50+ year olds leaving the league play.

Good call on the hook or straight.  I was just assuming hook.  If you bowl straight, just get a heavy ball that you can throw reasonably hard and have fun.  No sense in investing in anything other a cheap plastic ball and shoes.

Bowling is very popular for all ages in the Toledo area. Jugs has a lot of league with younger teams. I bowl at Forestview and the average age is probably 35 for 12 teams. Some teams are younger 24-25 some are near 60.

I don't know anything about balls or shoes or anything. I bowl with 2 fingers. I've bowled the last 3 years. Halfway through last year I bought a more aggressive ball. My year by year averages are:

2013: 168
2014: 175
2015: 186

1 hour ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Bowling is very popular for all ages in the Toledo area. Jugs has a lot of league with younger teams. I bowl at Forestview and the average age is probably 35 for 12 teams. Some teams are younger 24-25 some are near 60.

I don't know anything about balls or shoes or anything. I bowl with 2 fingers. I've bowled the last 3 years. Halfway through last year I bought a more aggressive ball. My year by year averages are:

2013: 168
2014: 175
2015: 186

Shoes are more about if you slide with you lead foot or just stop, but I never look to much into that.

When you say you bowl with just two fingers, is it still one handed or two? I only know two people that bowl one handed but only use their fingers, not something you see everyday.

3 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Shoes are more about if you slide with you lead foot or just stop, but I never look to much into that.

When you say you bowl with just two fingers, is it still one handed or two? I only know two people that bowl one handed but only use their fingers, not something you see everyday.

Huh? I think that's the more common way. That's how I bowl at least lol

Archived