Sign in to follow this  
jebrick

Cowher to HOF

Not sure if anyone saw it but the President of the HOF came out and congratulated Cowher for making the class

I don’t really have a problem with people disagreeing with him being selected for the HOF. It’s at very least a debatable topic, I don’t think he’s a guy you look at and say he’s definitely a hall of famer.

13 hours ago, Neumatic said:

I don’t really have a problem with people disagreeing with him being selected for the HOF. It’s at very least a debatable topic, I don’t think he’s a guy you look at and say he’s definitely a hall of famer.

I get it but I also dont think he is a guy you can look at and say he's not an HOFer.

Cowher getting in is questionable, but if Dungy had an argument to get in, so did Cowher.

If Cowher had Peyton Manning, he would have won 4 or 5 SBs.  Dungy barely managed 1.

74 class just got even more legendary

Edited by August4th

I barely caught the end of Cowher with ability to actually understand what was going on from a football sense, so I dont have a good idea of his actual worth. 

But I have always had a thing about the Hall of Fame -- I think too many people get in and my biggest gripe is that if you were never a top 3-5 player at your position during your time playing/coaching, you do not deserve to get in. Frank Gore is the situation I look at. Compiling stats and longevity is something that is amazing, but if you had a fantasy draft any of his years in the league does he ever go top 3 RB?

So can someone help me out here -- Was Cowher ever a top 5 coach for stretches in the NFL?

17 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I barely caught the end of Cowher with ability to actually understand what was going on from a football sense, so I dont have a good idea of his actual worth. 

But I have always had a thing about the Hall of Fame -- I think too many people get in and my biggest gripe is that if you were never a top 3-5 player at your position during your time playing/coaching, you do not deserve to get in. Frank Gore is the situation I look at. Compiling stats and longevity is something that is amazing, but if you had a fantasy draft any of his years in the league does he ever go top 3 RB?

So can someone help me out here -- Was Cowher ever a top 5 coach for stretches in the NFL?

He and Paul Brown are the only two head coaches in NFL history to coach teams to the playoffs in their first six seasons in the league. Furthermore, Cowher took over a team that had a record of 51-60 and missed the playoffs in six out of seven seasons from 1985-1991, so it's not like the team was in great shape when he got there.

3 hours ago, Bassomatic said:

He and Paul Brown are the only two head coaches in NFL history to coach teams to the playoffs in their first six seasons in the league. Furthermore, Cowher took over a team that had a record of 51-60 and missed the playoffs in six out of seven seasons from 1985-1991, so it's not like the team was in great shape when he got there.

as a steeler fan, the #1 rule is to remove the malone era from your memory and stats sheets. Cowher took over a good team , and in his first year won the division and had a bye . Noll and co. had a good roster, lots of good players.  Cowher got them winning again, but the talent was there already. 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, Dcash4 said:

Yes he was absolutely a top 5 coach for his tenure with the Steelers.  He went to the AFCC right at 50% of the time and to 2 SBs, and almost all of that was without a QB.  He had pure crap at QB aside from 2 years with Ben, and 1 of them includes his rookie year.  The 2nd year they won a SB, and probably would've Ben's rookie year too if not for Spygate.  Year 3 doesn't count since Ben was injured and Cowher had checked out due to a wife dying of cancer at the time.  

The team he took over was about as mediocre as you can get.  Right at .500 for 7 straight seasons, with only 1 playoff berth in there, which was 3 years removed.  There were some talented players, but that team needed a change and he provided that.   Instantaneously!  In his first 6 years there, they put up 11, 9, 12, 11, 10, 11 wins......which far surpasses anything that team had done in 9 seasons when they only won 10 games.  Playoffs each year.  AFCC in year 3, SB in year 4, AFCC in year 6.  He was the real deal.