Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I don't think a top-5 running back is "pretty cheap."

I think "pretty cheap" would be a late 3rd-ish. Then we're talking!

And I'd say a 3rd isn't "pretty cheap". I'd say "pretty cheap" is a 5th rounder or lower. Everyone does and will continue to value things differently. If you think a player can be the next great one at their position than a 3rd is definitely "pretty cheap." :D

All this talk about trading Cook for so much less, or really anything at all, is making me feel sick. He's young, gifted, and appears to want to stay in Minnesota. Yes he's going to eventually demand a big contract. Yes a lot of expiring contracts will have to be off the books before he can be resigned. Make it work. 

9 minutes ago, babababa said:

All this talk about trading Cook for so much less, or really anything at all, is making me feel sick. He's young, gifted, and appears to want to stay in Minnesota. Yes he's going to eventually demand a big contract. Yes a lot of expiring contracts will have to be off the books before he can be resigned. Make it work. 

Well, the issue is that many people feel, based on the nature of the league, that he is replaceable.  I'd personally like to retain him, but it depends upon what cost you're talking about.  I'm not trading him though, unless it's for a 2nd at minimum.  Otherwise, you keep him and let him walk at the end of the year.  However, to me, he is more replaceable than I ever considered Adrian to be.  Dalvin isn't Adrian.  He's light-years better than Adrian at catching the ball, but he's not in the same class as Adrian running the ball.  It's that which makes him somewhat replaceable to me and not worth paying $15M a year for.  I wouldn't pay any more than $10M.  If he wants more than that, I let him walk.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, babababa said:

I think there has to be legit concerns about his health and a hesitancy to pay him. The return for a RB simply isn’t there, especiallly when you look at how productive RBs typically are in the Kubiak/Shanahan offense. If I could get a Scherff or Conklin in free agency and not have to pay my RB top dollar, I’d do it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, the issue is that many people feel, based on the nature of the league, that he is replaceable.  I'd personally like to retain him, but it depends upon what cost you're talking about.  I'm not trading him though, unless it's for a 2nd at minimum.  Otherwise, you keep him and let him walk at the end of the year.  However, to me, he is more replaceable than I ever considered Adrian to be.  Dalvin isn't Adrian.  He's light-years better than Adrian at catching the ball, but he's not in the same class as Adrian running the ball.  It's that which makes him somewhat replaceable to me and not worth paying $15M a year for.  I wouldn't pay any more than $10M.  If he wants more than that, I let him walk.  

Alright, that's reasonable. 

My response isn't to people like you though. I've seen nothing but angst and premature anxiety about his impending free agency. It should be on our minds certainly, but there's time and both positions are amicable. If the Vikings can't afford him -- they can't afford him.

What bothers me is that I'm not seeing much love for the guy around here. Trading him for a 3rd feels like a Clowney move.

It's one thing if Cook wasn't happy and wanted out, but trading him for a lesser player at another position, an older player, or another young player of equal talent who also wants a payday is a negative or lateral move that doesn't honor the hard work that the previous player had committed to. 

Just don't pay the guy at the end of next year and let him decide his own future. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'd personally like to retain him, but it depends upon what cost you're talking about.  I'm not trading him though, unless it's for a 2nd at minimum.  Otherwise, you keep him and let him walk at the end of the year.

So much this. Not to mention he's played in 29 of 48 games (.604) durability is an issue, ACL aside of course. 

3 hours ago, babababa said:

Alright, that's reasonable. 

My response isn't to people like you though. I've seen nothing but angst and premature anxiety about his impending free agency. It should be on our minds certainly, but there's time and both positions are amicable. If the Vikings can't afford him -- they can't afford him.

What bothers me is that I'm not seeing much love for the guy around here. Trading him for a 3rd feels like a Clowney move.

It's one thing if Cook wasn't happy and wanted out, but trading him for a lesser player at another position, an older player, or another young player of equal talent who also wants a payday is a negative or lateral move that doesn't honor the hard work that the previous player had committed to. 

Just don't pay the guy at the end of next year and let him decide his own future. 

There is a very real chance that he won't want to play on his current contract

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

There is a very real chance that he won't want to play on his current contract

And I'd say we cross that bridge if and when we come to it. There's a lot of variables ahead.

Why would any other decent back want to come here in his absence if we decided we weren't even going to even try with him despite his best effort. He appears to have a great attitude about being a Viking judging from recent articles and that leads me to believe that there's a chance that he wouldn't hold out so long as they were progressing on a contract. Sure some of you guys who want a pass-first offense wouldn't be happy, but that's not what our coach wants. 

10 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

Probably right about that.  That would kinda beg a trade, don't you think?

That's pure conjecture. Point to a source that claims he's considering holding out. If you google him right now you'll see this this quote from Wednesday's Pro-bowl practice:

"I love the organization. They took a chance on me in bringing me in," Cook told NFL.com. "If a person believes in me, I'll give them my all. I try to do everything, give them my all and I'm just happy that I'm at the Vikings. It's a great organization. I think everything we've got going on is for the future."

Edited by babababa

9 minutes ago, babababa said:

And I'd say we cross that bridge if and when we come to it. There's a lot of variables ahead.

Why would any other decent back want to come here in his absence if we decided we weren't even going to even try with him despite his best effort. He appears to have a great attitude about being a Viking judging from recent articles and that leads me to believe that there's a chance that he wouldn't hold out so long as they were progressing on a contract. Sure some of you guys who want a pass-first offense wouldn't be happy, but that's not what our coach wants. 

You're exhibiting a fair amount of conjecture yourself there.  I don't think anyone here wants the guy to go.  I'd love to see him stay with the Vikings, since he's such a dynamic weapon.  It is a pass first league now, but a balanced approach ain't a bad place to be either.  That's where we currently sit.  The only problems anyone has with Cook is his injury history and the likelihood that his next contract will price him out of Minnesota.  If we can dump some older, more expensive guys and solidify the offensive line (and/or CBs) with the money those cuts give us, of course we'll want to sign Cook to a long term deal.  If he wants too much money and holds out (I don't have any insider information, just going by known history of how agents and players do things in the real world) then trading him is the best thing the team could do.  Nothing personal to him or you.

Running backs don't individually add value, or at least it's very infrequent they do.

He has a soft tissue injury history, which is concerning.

Running backs have short shelf lives and typically don't maintain elite or even good play much past their rookie contract.

They just used a 3rd round pick on a promising back who can be his replacement.

They're resource limited so flipping a running back coming off what will likely be his best year is a savy move.

....it's business man.

2 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

You're exhibiting a fair amount of conjecture yourself there.  I don't think anyone here wants the guy to go.  I'd love to see him stay with the Vikings, since he's such a dynamic weapon.  It is a pass first league now, but a balanced approach ain't a bad place to be either.  That's where we currently sit.  The only problems anyone has with Cook is his injury history and the likelihood that his next contract will price him out of Minnesota.  If we can dump some older, more expensive guys and solidify the offensive line (and/or CBs) with the money those cuts give us, of course we'll want to sign Cook to a long term deal.  If he wants too much money and holds out (I don't have any insider information, just going by known history of how agents and players do things in the real world) then trading him is the best thing the team could do.  Nothing personal to him or you.

No nothing personal at all. John Randle is by far my favorite all time player by the way. I've wished for another John Randle ever since he retired, and there just hasn't been one on any team since. I'd get so fired up watching him play every snap. 

I actually like your assessment for the most part. I just felt like I wasn't seeing the love toward Cook here this week after reading several threads (and it got me thinking that people are overlooking the fact that a deal could really actually get done. Just keep visualizing that instead of thinking we need to trade him because we can't see the road ahead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Running backs don't individually add value, or at least it's very infrequent they do.

He has a soft tissue injury history, which is concerning.

Running backs have short shelf lives and typically don't maintain elite or even good play much past their rookie contract.

They just used a 3rd round pick on a promising back who can be his replacement.

They're resource limited so flipping a running back coming off what will likely be his best year is a savy move.

....it's business man.

That's great that you think Mattison can pick up the slack. I thought he was very good this year. Most teams have 2 competent backs.

I think your opinion about runningbacks individually not adding value is unfounded.

Cook has some injury concerns, yes. He held up pretty well this year though.

If you believe Cook didn't make a difference for this offense this year I don't know what more I can tell you. 

Players don't like being moved around by the way. The Lions moved their starting safety in the middle of the season and it looked like their defense was ready to riot. You can really upset a locker room and prevent other players from wanting to even negotiate a future contract knowing that you're all about the business. 

40 minutes ago, babababa said:

I think your opinion about runningbacks individually not adding value is unfounded.

There's mountains of evidence about it but we can start here

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/19933/saquon-barkley-may-be-a-generational-talent-but-he-ll-still-be-overdrafted

Cook has some injury concerns, yes. He held up pretty well this year though.

did he though? Slowed down a lot by seasons end and 1 season of 3. Not promising when you're dealing with soft tissue injuries

Edited by Dolmonite26