Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I just read the Barnwell hypothetical piece on ESPN:

The suggestion is that Rivers signs in Indy, the Vikings trade Kirk to the Chargers for a 2nd, and resign Teddy for 4 years $100 mil. Saving cap and getting the band back together.

It takes some navigating, but it's interesting to see how the dominoes theoretically fall: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/28600904/predicting-2020-nfl-offseason-dominoes-eight-star-players-set-144-move-chaos

Why do most people fail to realize that we cannot trade Kirk unless Kirk agrees to it? Unless a trade partner says "Here Kirk, have this boat full of money over 4 years with the trade!" why would he agree to be traded for just one season when he can make $31 million here without having to move his family then have to potentially move them again after free agency?

I get so sick of the "Just trade him!" half-a**ed ideas some people come up with.

Kirk cannot be traded. Kirk cannot be cut without huge cap issues. JFC! I know it's non-sense hypothetical fun but there's far too many people who think we can just trade/cut Kirk whenever we want. Frustrating.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

8 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Why do most people fail to realize that we cannot trade Kirk unless Kirk agrees to it? Unless a trade partner says "Here Kirk, have this boat full of money over 4 years with the trade!" why would he agree to be traded for just one season when he can make $31 million here without having to move his family then have to potentially move them again after free agency?

I get so sick of the "Just trade him!" half-a**ed ideas some people come up with.

Kirk cannot be traded. Kirk cannot be cut without huge cap issues. JFC!

One would think the trade would be contingent on Kirk signing an extension with the new team.  He might agree to that, as it would give he and his family some long-term security.  Otherwise, I think you are right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

One would think the trade would be contingent on Kirk signing an extension with the new team.  He might agree to that, as it would give he and his family some long-term security.  Otherwise, I think you are right.

Sure I mean that'd be the only way to do it but let's be honest here....how many teams are going to give up good draft capital then give up huge salary for a QB that could only muster one playoff win with Minnesota where he was supposed to be the QB to put the Vikes over the top? Although the article is right by saying Kirk to Chargers is probably the absolutely best fit still extremely unlikely.

But like I said....I know the article is just off-season fluff/fun but it's annoying when people think it all can be solved via trade/cut like it's Madden on Xbox.

23 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Don't know a lot about him, his contract, fit or what the trade would look like, but with PFFs high grading of him, maybe he'd be worth a look?

Base salary next year (the last year of his contract) of $3.25 million with a roster bonus of $250,000.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28674571/unhappy-deal-quinton-dunbar-asks-redskins-release-trade-him

2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Kirk cannot be traded. Kirk cannot be cut without huge cap issues. JFC! I know it's non-sense hypothetical fun but there's far too many people who think we can just trade/cut Kirk whenever we want. Frustrating.

If the front office goes to Kirk and says "Here is the story.  We are not going to resign you after 2020.  It might be in your best interest to let us trade you to a team where they would be willing to give you an extension right away."  Naturally, he would have to approve of where he gets traded, but I could see a situation where the team could present enough reasons why it would make sense for him to move on and let us trade him.  It probably won't happen, but with all the veteran quarterbacks that will be on the FA market this offseason, we could see some strange things happen.

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

If the front office goes to Kirk and says "Here is the story.  We are not going to resign you after 2020.  It might be in your best interest to let us trade you to a team where they would be willing to give you an extension right away."  Naturally, he would have to approve of where he gets traded, but I could see a situation where the team could present enough reasons why it would make sense for him to move on and let us trade him.  It probably won't happen, but with all the veteran quarterbacks that will be on the FA market this offseason, we could see some strange things happen.

Spot on.

I'm not saying it's NOT possible (and I personally wouldn't mind it one bit) but so many things would have to come together for it to happen. First, it'd have to be a team Kirk wants to go to (I don't think Kirk is a big market/big media like LA type of guy....). Second, said team(s) would have to give the Vikings what they want in return. Then said team needs to give Kirk what he wants.

I just don't see many teams (if any) willing to trade for then pay Kirk big money again to be their starter when he's already failed as the "just missing a QB" role he had with Minnesota.

But like you said....it's going to be nuts this off-season with 6 or so teams needing a QB and so many decent starters out there to be had.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Chill, dude xD

I was just sharing something fun to think about, it's a long off season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I don't know how to take this advice? Are you suggesting that we shouldn't share our opinion?  Or, are you suggesting we shouldn't even have an opinion?  I don't think anyone is making a judgment about "diva" behavior...except as it effects the locker room.  I haven't heard anyone in this string of posts say anything other than we wished it didn't happen.  I have heard pretty much EVERYONE say they want Diggs to continue to be a successful Viking! 

As long as I do so respectfully, I will give voice to my thoughts and opinions.  I will respectfully disagree with those whose opinion I don't share.  Yet, I am glad that there is a place like this board that allows us to share our thoughts and opinions...as long as they are respectful of others.

So...this is a long winded response that boils down to this opinion...I wish diva like behavior didn't exist in professional sports.  It turns out to be a distraction in the least, and can be cancerous in the extreme.  I believe that all people have the ability, if they so choose to use  it, to manage their emotions and their reactive behaviors. 

That being said, I will cheer the play of Stefon Diggs, Adam Thielen, et al, and will tolerate their outbursts, as long as the behaviors don't become a locker room problem, ala' Terrell Owens.

That is pretty much exactly what I was saying.  People tend to overreact to the comments.  As I indicated (multiple times), I would love to retain Diggs, but if someone has to be moved to create cap space, I don't have any issue with him being moved.  Period.  End of Story.  

And the reality is, we've seen this tale before with the Vikings having cap issues and wide receivers taking up a lot of cap space.  It got us nowhere.  So, if someone has to be moved, a wide receiver is a good place to start because their success is dependent on the QB, not the reverse...and Diggs, by far, has the most value of any of those wide receivers.  So, it only makes sense.  The diva mentality is only a small part of the whole analysis...but it's part of it.  It's not necessary for people to go all Snoop Dogg on Gayle King-like.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Trading Thielen instead would save money too, and they would keep the younger player in that scenario.

I wouldn't trade either, personally, but I've been wondering why everyone is hyped up about trading Diggs over Thielen as well.

End of the day, elite or near elite WRs are worth more than most are giving credit and the offese needs both imo

29 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

They'd save 2M in 2020 by trading him

I'm looking more at 2021/22 than 2020.  Always have been.  They'd save $15M a year for both 2021 and 2022.  And trading Thielen certainly would save money too, but he seems to have always been more amenable to renegotiation and he would bring back less in value in return.

And I'm not certainly hyped up over it, but it has been a talker from PA on KFAN, as he seems to think it could possibly happen.  It really was never on my radar until he brought it up.  And as I've thought about it, it makes some sense, even if not likely or necessarily even wanted by me.

Edited by swede700

21 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I wouldn't trade either, personally, but I've been wondering why everyone is hyped up about trading Diggs over Thielen as well.

End of the day, elite or near elite WRs are worth more than most are giving credit and the offese needs both imo

I was making a point, not advocating a trade ;)

• Like 1